Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6 Cold Months

L

Lifeinavan

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi guys, been out on the road now for three months and just decided instead of going home in a month, I'm gonna spend the winter working in a skiresort in Switzerland. I'm going to be parked in the same spot between October 2016 to April 2017 at a campsite with electricity.

Any winter owners out there that got recommendations or tips on how to prepare the van for the upcoming winter? Can you leave the roof open 24/7 for 6 months? Is there any isolation you could recommend for the Poptop? How is a campsite maintained during winter? Any recommendations on how to keep a habitable temprature inside 24/7?

I don't plan on driving at all during this time. But I need the temprature to be good all day all night.

Webasto on 24/24.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

As you are on hookup - Electric oil filled radiator on 24/7 top up with the Parking Heater if needed. Topper to cover the elevated roof. Good ventilation and may need some form of De-Humidifier to keep interior dry.
Hookup will keep batteries topped up but I would suggest moving forward/backwards every month to avoid flattening the tyres.

If stationary and in use for that long in a ski-station i think you are facing a big challenge .
The snow will be your biggest problem , make sure you got a snow shovle , and the humidity inside the Cali ( wet clothing and shoes)
Electric hook-up is a must have , a good reliable heater that can stay on 24/7 .
Best not to use the waste water tank as the drain probally will freeze and blocked.
Possible if good heated the fresh water wil not freeze but keep a good eye on it!

Roof topper + insulation ( windows), skirts underneeth the verhicle can help keeping it warmer .

Close the roof in heavy snow is forecast , either way close /reopen it once a while don't think it would stay up that long....

Bring xtra diesel , just in case....!

Many proper campsites which are geared up for winter visitors will have heated drying rooms and ski & boot rooms, which will make your stay less arduous.
Definitely use an oil filled rad, rather than a fan heater (or else you will lose your voice as it is so dry).

An external cali topper is a must.

The site I stayed on kept the pitches and roads clear of snow.

I can't comment on leaving the roof in the open position for 6 months, but as most resorts will be open only 3-4 months, this may not be an issue....however the fluid is oil, not water, so it won't freeze, however I think I would be tempted to lower it and raise it every 2 weeks or so.

I hope you share some photos and experiences with us

Good luck
:thumb

Water will freeze, for sure. Empty your tanks, if possible. Also grey waters, open.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Back