Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A beginners T6 option selections....

J

Jon

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just introduced myself as a prospective T6 Ocean owner on the intro forum so I am sharing my latest options selections with you as promised!

150 PS
DSG
Cherry Red
Black Awning
Cruise Control
Multifunction Steering Wheel
Parking Sensors
Composition Media
Lights and Vision Package
Storage Net
App Connect

I know that some of them are niceties but I am used to (hooked on!) them on the hire cars I drive on company business. You only live once and I do like a few gadgets!

Have a few questions so will start up a few threads to get people's thoughts on things like 5 person registration on the V5, 17 inch chassis/brakes, privacy glass option selection and DSG or 4motion.......Thanks!

Sounds good Jon.

Have you thought about a parking heater or a heated front screen?

Thanks! Just had a checked the new price list and the air and coolant heaters are standard so all good there.
Have a heated windscreen on an 07 fiesta and most of the thin heater elements are now broken. Dealer says the only fix is a new windscreen. Was great while it worked though! My idea was that I would use the remote control to turn on the heater if it was frosty. Anyone know how well this works?

Just introduced myself as a prospective T6 Ocean owner on the intro forum so I am sharing my latest options selections with you as promised!

150 PS
DSG
Cherry Red
Black Awning
Cruise Control
Multifunction Steering Wheel
Parking Sensors
Composition Media
Lights and Vision Package
Storage Net
App Connect

I know that some of them are niceties but I am used to (hooked on!) them on the hire cars I drive on company business. You only live once and I do like a few gadgets!

Have a few questions so will start up a few threads to get people's thoughts on things like 5 person registration on the V5, 17 inch chassis/brakes, privacy glass option selection and DSG or 4motion.......Thanks!
Hi, I have been hunting around on the forum to find out what the "Lights and Vision Package" is. Could you let me know. Priced at £228 on the extra list. Thanks.

Thanks! Just had a checked the new price list and the air and coolant heaters are standard so all good there.
Have a heated windscreen on an 07 fiesta and most of the thin heater elements are now broken. Dealer says the only fix is a new windscreen. Was great while it worked though! My idea was that I would use the remote control to turn on the heater if it was frosty. Anyone know how well this works?
The remote is great if you you use the van for commuting. Just turn the heating on when you get up and it's nice and warm when you get in. However, the warmth is not directed at the windscreen so it is often still frozen when you are ready to drive off.

Yes, Lights and vision are auto wipers and headlights. Got the auto wipers on current car and now driving cars without is really annoying!

Thanks for the info on the heater. In Dorset on the coast so don't get too many frosts. Going to stick without the heated screen I think.

Going for QL0 privacy glass option now based on other threads. Don't think I need the laminated glass.

Dsg or 4motion is another matter since money is an object for me. 4motion is a hot topic on the forum! My reasons for would be slippy campsites, confidence when pulling off the black stuff for a scenic cuppa and heavy van in bad weather. Do see peoples points about all terrain tyres on 2wd but like the idea of general driving stability on 4wd too. Driven an octavia 4motion and felt planted out of corners and roundabouts when pushing on. Not that I'd be pushing on in a cali, just keep thinking of all that weight under normal driving in less than ideal conditions! My decision in the end. If there was a 150 dsg 4motion then I'd drop a few other options so can have both....

As an owner of a 4x4 skoda octavia I'm not so sure about all these claims of 'surefootedness' offered by these part time 4 wheel drive systems....
My understanding is power is split 95 front 5 rear until a wheel actually looses traction. I know I'm in a 4 wheel drive on snow, and muddy fields when I enjoy forcing a bit of slip, but otherwise I think it's just the same as a 2 wheel drive. All cars feel sure footed these days when driving on normal roads.
Just my 2p!

Having had both, in my experience the 4motion is definitely more planted, especially noticeable when accelerating quickly turning out of a side street where the 2wd had a tendency to tramp.

Automatic wipers and head lights
Are these 'automatic' headlights the ones that detect the lights of oncoming vehicles and dip the headlights in response? If so I would say avoid them, or if they come as a package with other useful things (such as automatic wipers) then disable them. My wife's car has something called automatic high beam assist and it's rubbish. It sort-of works but dazzling about 10% of other cars is not a good idea.

We ran a high spec 180 4 motion for three years; unfortunately it was very troublesome.

Having dismissed another altogether, we are seriously considering a T6 but a far more basic spec; 150, no 4 motion (hardly used it, needed a new rear diff, quite a large mpg penalty), sat nav (dates too quickly, awful to update). Just an awning, privacy glass and parking sensors plus metallic paint.

We remember ours for all the things all Cali Oceans have (now better specced too) not a battery of options. We'll try and forget the non stop warranty fixes...

Are these 'automatic' headlights the ones that detect the lights of oncoming vehicles and dip the headlights in response? If so I would say avoid them, or if they come as a package with other useful things (such as automatic wipers) then disable them. My wife's car has something called automatic high beam assist and it's rubbish. It sort-of works but dazzling about 10% of other cars is not a good idea.
Don't think so there is a separate option for high beam assist.

Automatic headlight definition from VW site:
Headlight Activation, automatic
Automatic headlight activation gives you the safety and convenience of the right lights when needed, without having to switch your headlights on or off manually. A twilight sensor automatically switches on the lights as darkness falls, or when driving through a tunnel in the daytime.

T4WFA and motacyclist - I drive a lot of hire cars for work (focus, c4, golf, 308) and they handle much better than a few years ago! I think it is more that the 4motion steadies/loads up the rear suspension when under power rather than lots of power being directed to the rear wheels. This gives the feeling of the body roll etc being under control and the being more responsive to change in direction. Probably writing rubbish but that's what it feels like.....!

Didn't want the high beam so thanks for the confirmation all. A gadget too far for me I think! Agree that built sat navigation isn't worth it. That is one of the reasons for me going for the composition media and app connect. Having phone apps on the built-in screen sounds good and a good compromise plus for future proofing.

Swinging away from 4motion now based on peoples posts on the forum. Sticking with dsg though.

Going off the multi function steering wheel too since can be retrofitted with ease if needed by all accounts.

But will add towbar preparation just in case since it sounds like a pig to retrofit if needed in the future.

Back