Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who's ordered a T6?!

Still trying to figure this out.
When you look at the web site datasheet for the Ocean it does match this exactly. Same code, same price and same description.
When you look at both the Sep and Nov price lists it describes it almost the same but wi-fi rather than WLAN. No code on these but same price.
We are therefore talking about the same item and it very clearly states
"Only in combination with ZI8 -Discover Media Navigation system plus at an additional cost"

Not a lot of help other than you don't need to have it to have the Discover Media Plus but it would be nice to know exactly what it does. I have an idea but no point in guessing. Anyone know. It may even be worth spending £294 on?

This is the same on German configurator, if you select media plus it comes up saying you need wifi with connect at no extra cost and also sim card for 3 year as well at no extra cost.

WLAN

Out of all the options packages the audio and communications is the one that I've really struggled to fully understand, but “ I THINK “ WLAN in layman's terms does the following:

1 Makes your mobile phone work better by connecting automatically to some form of land based transmitter

2 It's like having a local tourist board on your dashboard. It picks up information from local transmitters informing you of special events that might be happening in the area, places of interest to visit locally, the cheapest place to buy petrol to your current position, local travel information etc, and the location of your local VW dealer.

3 Again “ I think “ it is involved in the facility for connecting your vehicle directly to VW for diagnosis of enroute problems, in the unlikely case that you should have a mechanical malady!

Whether you are buying a future Betamax system or something that will turn out to be a must have option, I am not sure.

Following are two links, one which might help to confuse you, but one I think is quite enlightening:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...r2PggP-9HcDaK65Gg&sig2=tPI4x6dhjTmwtjmUqXUrog

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content...d_networking/connected_world/car_to_home.html

Thanks for all the information and replies on this. I think I need to take it back to the dealer, I guess just because its a "free" included option on the German configurator doesn't necessarily mean its free to UK orders although it would only seem fair. +mchbiker have you recently placed an order for a T6?

|ve ordered the discovery plus but no mention at the time about getting the wifi with it or not. I'm wondering if now I need this for these updates or will it just connect to my phone as a hotspot without it for internet access.

Thanks for all the information and replies on this. I think I need to take it back to the dealer, I guess just because its a "free" included option on the German configurator doesn't necessarily mean its free to UK orders although it would only seem fair. +mchbiker have you recently placed an order for a T6?

Yes provisional build date week 1. Like I say I wanted Sat Nav, fed up with charger cables across the dash! Only option was to get the works. Bypassed WLAN, didn't know what it was (still don't really) and spending enough!

Well this should be interesting. I've just submitted an enquiry through their website asking for an explanation of what it is and if I need it with Discover Media Plus.
Let's see if I get an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just in the process of ordering a T6. One of my options is :-
Discover media navigation system plus.
While placing the order the dealer came to me and said that a prerequisite for the above is :-
Bluetooth handsfree set with coupling box and WLAN
I'm guessing I can't be the only one who has experienced this. The dealer has told me that the brochure needs to be updated to state this. The brochure currently says that the 2nd option above requires the 1st but not the other way around. Seems odd to me that a sat nav system requires the WLAN option?? Can anyone shed any light, thanks?

Tim

Tim

I think your dealer has got it the wrong way round. If you order Discovery Media navigation system “Plus”, you obviously get Satnav plus all the other bits bundled with it. If you want to expand it so that you can receive car-net services you need to have Bluetooth with coupling box. You can order Bluetooth without the coupling box without sat nav, but you must have the Satnav otherwise you cannot display the information from car-net services.

It seems strange that Bluetooth is the same price whether you have the coupling box or not at £294!

TO WLAN OR NOT WLAN!

Further to a conversation that I’ve just had with Laine Watts at SMG Tonbridge, who is a real font of knowledge on the California options, my last posting I now think that info to be incorrect, sorry!

It seems that:

What was previously referred to as WLAN is now called Wi-Fi.

If you order Discover Media navigation system “Plus” you must also have, Bluetooth hands-free set with coupling box and Wi-Fi.
And vice a versa,
If you order Bluetooth hands-free set with coupling books and Wi-Fi, you must have Discover Media navigation system “Plus”.

So you might ask why if both options must go together why are they not just one Option? Apparently the similar situation arose with some options on the T5. It seems it might be one way of disguising the real price of an option!

So Tim, It appears that your dealer was correct, "You can't have one without the other" to quote that song.

Well done at least we have an answer that makes sense. Thanks!

I'm still confused about the 'coupling box'. Is it literally a box into which you put your phone which has a wireless external aerial connection to improve the mobile phone signal reception?

SusiBus, thanks for the update! Thats pretty much exactly in line with what the dealer told me this morning, he had checked with VW headquarters and this was their response :-
-------------
Dear ......

As per options codes below if you have to have the option of Discover Media Navigation Plus you must have the cost option of Bluetooth Hands Free with Coupling Box as per set up with the Factory.

Bluetooth® hands-free set with coupling box and Wi-Fi. Only in combination with Discover Media – – £245.00 £294.00

navigation system ‘Plus’ at an additional cost.

Discover Media navigation system ‘Plus’. Includes 2 USB interfaces (also for iPod/iPhone) and AUX-IN jack, 8 speakers, – – £1,170.00 £1,404.00

Digital Voice Enhancement (DVE), Voice Control, Volkswagen Media Control and App–Connect.

------------------
The dealer told me that if anyone has managed to order the sat nav without the WLAN option then the dealer would end up having to stump up for the cost of the WLAN so well done to all those that have managed.

I think this brings the saga to a close, its not exactly the conclusion I wanted but I'm hoping I find the WLAN option more use that I think I will, once I've worked out exactly what the damn thing is .....

Tim

I'll speak to my dealer tomorrow, as when my order was placed on the VW website whilst I watched there was no mention of a further option being required for the Discovery plus.

Trying to piece together everything I have read and guesswork I reckon it will be a device that uses a data sim to connect to a phone network. Reception will be better than a mobile doing the same thing due to some sort of external aerial. The Cali will then become a wireless network. If this is correct all the other elements will then be able to communicate with the Internet and you would be able to connect to the Internet with say your iPad through the Cali.
This is a guess and what I hope it does as I can't find anyway where it tells me which is astonishing.
No doubt I am wrong :)

Evening all.
We've just ordered a 150 4motion Ocean (ooh it rhymes) in Nightstar blue with a sprinkling of extras for delivery in March 2016.
After our rather disastrous end to nearly "fully loaded" 180 T5.1 ownership we trawled the market but just kept coming back to the California again. We looked at used 140s (might be wrong but having done pretty extensive search, the 140 appears to be more reliable) but prices were so high, we went for new and decided to keep it simple, just going for a few bits we need - awning, F&R sensors, chav glass and the extra paint.

We now have to re-buy all the accessories we sold - arghh!!!

But overall, we're rather excited and can't wait to embark on more Euro (and UK) adventures!!

Just had my build week confirmed for my 204 DSG 4Motion w.c. 11 January.
(order was placed 21 August)

Just had my build week confirmed for my 204 DSG 4Motion w.c. 11 January.
(order was placed 21 August)
finally! You must be pleased. That's a long time to wait for a confirmed build week. Does it feel more real now?

finally! You must be pleased. That's a long time to wait for a confirmed build week. Does it feel more real now?

not yet :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:Nailbiting
I think I'll believe it when its on a ship to Grimsby!!

Hi Chris.

£575 for the Diff Lock.
Some info that might be of use to know - believe it is electronically operated via a button on the dash. The 4Motion Caravelles/Transporters apparently have a Mechanical version of this. On the Cali it has to be electronicaly operated, but I don't know why. Dealer told me that 2 pins within the diff will slide & lock the rear axle after you press the button (or something similar.)

I did go for 18" wheels & there were no clashes on my order entries.

Hope the above helps
Cheers
Tom
Did you know you lose the spare wheel in lieu of the 18" - is this a problem? I am considering the same option and trying to square any possible negatives

Something I've discovered with the standard double glazed rear window on the Ocean is that there are no heated mirrors?

Something I've discovered with the standard double glazed rear window on the Ocean is that there are no heated mirrors?

We have double glazed rear window AND heated wing mirrors.

The control is on the same control that adjusts the mirrors.

I haven't tested the heated mirrors yet though but the control appears to be there!

We have double glazed rear window AND heated wing mirrors.

The control is on the same control that adjusts the mirrors.

I haven't tested the heated mirrors yet though but the control appears to be there!

Ha! RTFM moment. Just had to go & look for myself. thanks for the confirmation Treecity

According to the November price list you do need to specify if you want a rear heated window, with wiper and washer system since this is a no cost option

Buyers beware and if you have not yet specified this I suggest you contact your dealer tomorrow without delay!

This of course seems to be absurd but I am afraid nothing surprises me with VW Das Auto!

Back