Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A comical solo trip to the South West – what I've been up to so far

The pop top material looses heat rapidly, if it was me on my own in my Cali in the autumn, I’d either not lift the roof or as you say drop the top bed and close the shutter and have the heater on 1 and have a winter duvet. Cosy.
Super helpful. You see... how would I know any of this without the help of you lovely lot? Going to lower the bed and close the shutter and see how I get on! :D Thanks again

We are all different.

I keep the top bed up as I like the ventilation and feel of space above my head.

Snuggled up in the duvet (tog 7 all year round except for a couple of Summer weeks) I also wear a light base layer (merino and silk) as pyjama's as the big thing is having to get out from under the duvet when the van can be quite cold.

A couple of things: Make sure the heater remote is to hand, nothing more decadent than a click of a switch and then stay snuggled up in the duvet until the van is nice and warm, and set the heater to a low temperature so if it gets cold at night it can be switched on and left on without roasting you alive whilst under the duvet.

In very cold weather I have dropped the bed, and of course in the teeth of winter storms with the roof down then no choice anyway but I find it claustrophobic.

I'm loving this forum so much. Thanks for the tip. It's cold tonight in south Devon! Bit of a breeze. Tad parky! Sleep well!

The radio runs

The radio runs off the starter battery and switches off after 20 minutes ro conserve charge. Get a little speaker and play from I-pad or laptop whatever .... I have a Bose mini sound link and, much cheaper and convenient, one of these. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HTH8F3K/?tag=eliteelect-21
Plus one for Bose mini sound dock - great music quality from such a small speaker - still available on Amazon for around £150

Plus one for Bose mini sound dock - great music quality from such a small speaker - still available on Amazon for around £150
I’ve got an Anker. Not as expensive as Bose but still extremely good! :cool:

I’ve got an Anker. Not as expensive as Bose but still extremely good! :cool:
It was 50th birthday present to myself.
Hope you are enjoying your trip to SW - we hope to do a two week tour of Devon and Cornwall next year :thumb :thumb

It was 50th birthday present to myself.
Hope you are enjoying your trip to SW - we hope to do a two week tour of Devon and Cornwall next year :thumb :thumb

Thank you, GVick! I am, yes. I’m having two nights at this particular campsite. It’s a beaut. Really super quiet with a lovely view towards the sea. I’ll share where I’ve been on my return.

Going to work first thing from my new mobile office... then I intend to go for a nice long walk. I deserve it! This last year has been manic! Hehe.

Night all!

Further update: I've discovered that a lot of people who don't have VW Calis, love to come across and tell you why they didn't get one and what they got instead. It's so funny. It's happened to me four times now.

On one campsite the other day, some older bloke said to me (whilst chatting to some nearby friends), "Oh we're all so nosey, us campers, like we're intrigued by you... We want to know where your husband is, where your children are, how you managed to get that VW..." Ha! I think he thought he was being funny, but my god, how old school is that.

I kept myself quite mysterious. What a weird thing... that some people wonder those things when you're a woman on your own. I was tempted to tell him the truth, (as in I'm an independent free spirit and my gender shouldn't have anything to do with anything, and that I love kids but didn't want any of my own) but I fear his head would've exploded.

Further update: I've discovered that a lot of people who don't have VW Calis, love to come across and tell you why they didn't get one and what they got instead. It's so funny. It's happened to me four times now.

On one campsite the other day, some older bloke said to me (whilst chatting to some nearby friends), "Oh we're all so nosey, us campers, like we're intrigued by you... We want to know where your husband is, where your children are, how you managed to get that VW..." Ha! I think he thought he was being funny, but my god, how old school is that.

I kept myself quite mysterious. What a weird thing... that some people wonder those things when you're a woman on your own. I was tempted to tell him the truth, (as in I'm an independent free spirit and my gender shouldn't have anything to do with anything, and that I love kids but didn't want any of my own) but I fear his head would've exploded.

If it were me i would have told the nosey old git that i was a mobile prostitute and i did discount for caravan club members and was he interested !

The older i get the more i dislike people so good on you for doing what you do and long may that continue

If it were me i would have told the nosey old git that i was a mobile prostitute and i did discount for caravan club members and was he interested !

The older i get the more i dislike people so good on you for doing what you do and long may that continue

Well, exactly. I usually just make a polite joke and say something like, Gosh, what century were you born in? That usually gets a laugh from anyone listening and embarrasses the gentleman in question.

But I might just point out someone’s rudeness next time by asking, Why... can’t a woman be on her own without a husband and children?

Well, exactly. I usually just make a polite joke and say something like, Gosh, what century were you born in? That usually gets a laugh from anyone listening and embarrasses the gentleman in question.

But I might just point out someone’s rudeness next time by asking, Why... can’t a woman be on her own without a husband and children?
Or maybe say to them "Oh? should I have bought a white one to match the rest of the kitchen appliances?"

Cali's always get a lot of attention, most of it positive I find, but there can be some crass people out there: normally living in a big white thing powered, or should I say underpowered, by a vintage looking, wheezing, smoking fiat ducato.

As for the gender stereotyper..... my worst was "does hubby let you off the lead often?"......to which my reply, consisting of concentrated wrath of Jen, I'm sure his ears are still ringing with ..... something about "I don't have a hubby, I don't have a lead, I do have a brain which I normally employ before speaking and shouldn't you be off now getting the dishes washed?" , said in a manner that I used to reserve for my most intractably juvenile students who needed reminding that I was boss of the lecture hall, not them.

How rude of him!

I know I shouldn’t have to say this, but I’m glad I’m not alone. Going to employ some of these tactics next time. Although I do just give a shrug most of the time.

Further amusing update. I just spent 15 minutes trying to put the awning away. I thought it was broken. Gutted. My heart was in my throat. It kept making weird clicking noises. Only after a while I realised where I was going wrong... I was winding it out rather than in!

Dear god. It’s a good job I’m going home tomorrow! Hahahaha

I know I shouldn’t have to say this, but I’m glad I’m not alone. Going to employ some of these tactics next time. Although I do just give a shrug most of the time.

Further amusing update. I just spent 15 minutes trying to put the awning away. I thought it was broken. Gutted. My heart was in my throat. It kept making weird clicking noises. Only after a while I realised where I was going wrong... I was winding it out rather than in!

Dear god. It’s a good job I’m going home tomorrow! Hahahaha
That script is rapidly turning into a Christmas Special.:bananadance2

Good Morning @CaliKate - I can't remember if anyone has mentioned the meet in Dorset in a couple of weeks, 27th to 29th of September. We have all done things in our Calis that aren't the correct way of doing it. All learned from our experiences and vowed not to do it again that way in future. At the Meets the big advantage is that people will generally admit their previous errors and also give you handy shortcuts to doing things. Most mistakes are not serious and nothing much goes wrong, but the correct way is often easier too.
If you all are free it would be lovely to see you and we could all share the comical stuff we have done over the years. There are still some spaces left.

Simon

Last edited:
Good Morning @CaliKate - I can't remember if anyone has mentioned the meet in Dorset in a couple of weeks, 27th to 29th of September. We have all done things in our Calis that aren't the correct way of doing it. All learned from our experiences and vowed not to do it again that way in future. At the Meets the big advantage is that people will generally admit their previous errors and also give you handy shortcuts to doing things. Most mistakes are not serious and nothing much goes wrong, but the correct way is often easier too.
If you all are free it would be lovely to see you and we could all share the comical stuff we have done over the years. There are still some spaces left.

Simon

I absolutely wish I could be there. Alas, I'm travelling abroad later this month. I'll defo be up for something next time! Thanks Simon

The saga continues... I'm managed to explode some mayonnaise all over myself just now. Thankfully, it only went on my clothes and not anywhere else.

I've also had a bottle of beer explode in the fridge, which is really annoying me as I've got it on Level 1 and it's still too cold. Bought a coolbox bag and some ice packs in the meantime, so that's helping somewhat but I've had to chuck a load of fresh food, sadly. I think I'm going to pack out the sides and bottom of the fridge with loads of ice packs next time and still use the coolbox bag. What a shame we spend all this money on the van and the darn fridge is too cold!?

And I'm quite proud of myself. I've emptied my first potty. LOL. All went well thankfully. It's good to know my clumsiness didn't result in any real drama there... Although I did manage to fill my water tank with non-drinking water... Going to empty that now and try again with the good stuff!

:eek: :D :headbang ;)

The saga continues... I'm managed to explode some mayonnaise all over myself just now. Thankfully, it only went on my clothes and not anywhere else.

I've also had a bottle of beer explode in the fridge, which is really annoying me as I've got it on Level 1 and it's still too cold. Bought a coolbox bag and some ice packs in the meantime, so that's helping somewhat but I've had to chuck a load of fresh food, sadly. I think I'm going to pack out the sides and bottom of the fridge with loads of ice packs next time and still use the coolbox bag. What a shame we spend all this money on the van and the darn fridge is too cold!?

And I'm quite proud of myself. I've emptied my first potty. LOL. All went well thankfully. It's good to know my clumsiness didn't result in any real drama there... Although I did manage to fill my water tank with non-drinking water... Going to empty that now and try again with the good stuff!

:eek: :D :headbang ;)
I don’t think your fridge should be freezing food on setting 1. Ours seems fine on 3 or even 4. Might be worth asking the dealer to check it out

I don’t think your fridge should be freezing food on setting 1. Ours seems fine on 3 or even 4. Might be worth asking the dealer to check it out

Nope, I don't think it should be either. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks, Nick!