Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A helping hand required in Poole

If Shaun is doing a great job and earning extra sales through his speedy response and attention to detail than that's great. It reflects very well on him that he's come on here to seek help for his distant customer.

But it doesn't mean some folks here aren't being very nieve about the commercial realities. Although Breeze are often on here telling us what great deals they've just secured, try getting a email or Facebook message returned from them. They are clearly running at capacity and I'm not surprised they don't want to stop dealing with their customers to help Shaun's customer.

Would it not help if we knew what issues the new owner was seeking help with? I’m sure that he would get a reasonable response from this forum - if he joins.

If the guy has no joy with others I am local to Poole and happy to help if I can. I'm still on a T5 but may be a good opportunity to learn the new interfaces.

This brings me on to my next view / point...

Camper vans are supposed to be Keep It Simple vehicles. With all the technological enhancements vehicles are having plus the added camper elements now on a technological interface I am not surprised that some new owners are struggling and a little bewildered. Especially so when you add the additional "rules / procedures" us experienced Cali owners suggest to avoid common mishaps / mistakes.

This is where meet ups come in useful but COVID has put pay to that.

Maybe the club could come up with a video as advertisement for the forum (I am not volunteering BTW, it would put people off!!!)?

Thank you again for the further replies, my customer is a member on here. I think it is mostly issues surrounding the discover media unit, i did pair his phone for him whilst I was there and i think he is trying to pair a second phone that he is having issues with. I have offered to do some detailed bite size videos to help so maybe that is a possibility.

Hi all, id just like to point out that I did carry out a thorough handover with the customer (1.5 hours) on delivery but he was a little overwhelmed by all the different systems, I have subsequently sent him a 45 minute virtual handover video which has covered some of the points but not all. I had agreed to personally deliver the vehicle 230 miles away a part of the deal for this reason as he was quite nervous having never purchased a brand new vehicle before and certainly not a camper van.

Again from a customer service point of view I would help any customer that asked me for help whether they had purchased from us or not, he originally purchased from us as the level of service I offered and time to reply to his questions was much better / quicker and pro active than other dealers he had spoken with. If you help someone out and leave a lasting impression I'm sure you would be at the forefront of their mind if they we looking to change their vehicle.

Thank you to the few of you that have offered a helping hand and hopefully we can get this sorted.
Well said Shaun. what fantastic initiative to get in touch with the forum in this way. It just goes to highlight even further the enormous efforts you have/are making to give the best customer service you can.
I feel sure than many here have taken note!
... and great to see people stepping forward to help out.
It restores the faith .....

Well said Shaun. what fantastic initiative to get in touch with the forum in this way. It just goes to highlight even further the enormous efforts you have/are making to give the best customer service you can.
I feel sure than many here have taken note!
... and great to see people stepping forward to help out.
It restores the faith .....
Thank you HB

This looks like "two rights make a right" to me. I think its great that Shaun is doing all he can to help his customer, might be a tad unconventional certainly one to consider if I ever buy another.
Also fully get the Breeze position, its dog eat dog and therefore competition which is good else we would all be paying full retail. Now if it was warranty work that would be different.

delivered a brand new T6.1 California Ocean to a customer in Poole, although I did carry out a thorough handover with him he is still struggling with some of the controls. I have also sent him a virtual handover video but he is still struggling a little.
I do wonder what bit he is finding so difficult. Direct questions to the forum may help the end-use if he could ask.
Personally do not feel in this time of COVID I would want to get up and close to someone in their van who I do not know.

Thank you again for the further replies, my customer is a member on here. I think it is mostly issues surrounding the discover media unit, i did pair his phone for him whilst I was there and i think he is trying to pair a second phone that he is having issues with. I have offered to do some detailed bite size videos to help so maybe that is a possibility.
The following is the general rule. Assuming it’s the same for a California, is the customer aware of it? Is he trying to pair a second device whilst his phone is already connected?

You can have multiple phones paired to your car's Bluetooth, however you may only have one phone connected to the car's Bluetooth at any given time.

I produce a personalised handover video for each and every California I hand over, as it is personalised to the customer and on their vehicle I cant share this im afraid. Once we have our new demo I plan on making a generic one but our demo is not due until December!
Shaun it seems like you are a fabulous California dealer and I for one would love to see you doing some California Chris style videos, but with the customer service and attention to back them up!! Liverpool are apparently doing great business on the back of California Chris. It was one of the first things the salesman there told us about. We had terrible service there and I tried to contact CC about it but never had a response.
Really nice to have a dealer part of this forum. Thanks for your input.

Shaun it seems like you are a fabulous California dealer and I for one would love to see you doing some California Chris style videos, but with the customer service and attention to back them up!! Liverpool are apparently doing great business on the back of California Chris. It was one of the first things the salesman there told us about. We had terrible service there and I tried to contact CC about it but never had a response.
Really nice to have a dealer part of this forum. Thanks for your input.
Thank Phil, the plan is to make some of these videos like California Chris, unfortunately there are a couple of issues stopping this at the moment such as not having any showroom / demonstration vehicles as VW have just pushed our demo orders back and back all year, we should have our new demo landing in December so hopefully I can get some videos done on this as its not appropriate to do them on a customers vehicle! I look forward to having more input on the forum over the coming years and hope to meet some of you at events / meets when these things are acceptable and safe again.

Just a quick update that a kind member has agreed to meet up with my customer on Monday and hopefully talk him through the issues. Thanks again for all you help

The following is the general rule. Assuming it’s the same for a California, is the customer aware of it? Is he trying to pair a second device whilst his phone is already connected?

You can have multiple phones paired to your car's Bluetooth, however you may only have one phone connected to the car's Bluetooth at any given time.
Well if Im driving and connected to the system and my wifes phone has an incoming call hers connects instantly then reverts to mine after she hangs up..?

How did we manage before the Mobile Phone and Bottled Water. :headbang:headbang

Well if Im driving and connected to the system and my wifes phone has an incoming call hers connects instantly then reverts to mine after she hangs up..?
That’s interesting. Must give it a try.

In fairness to Breeze, when we were there Friday it was rammed, they were so flat out it’s no surprise they couldn’t accommodate the request.

I’m sure if the owner had just popped into breeze they would of helped. (Glad you’ve managed to sort it).
I was at breeze in totton checking out new van colours and they were very helpful and they knew I’m looking at buying another westy so they wouldn’t be selling a van to me.

Hi all, id just like to point out that I did carry out a thorough handover with the customer (1.5 hours) on delivery but he was a little overwhelmed by all the different systems, I have subsequently sent him a 45 minute virtual handover video which has covered some of the points but not all. I had agreed to personally deliver the vehicle 230 miles away a part of the deal for this reason as he was quite nervous having never purchased a brand new vehicle before and certainly not a camper van.

Again from a customer service point of view I would help any customer that asked me for help whether they had purchased from us or not, he originally purchased from us as the level of service I offered and time to reply to his questions was much better / quicker and pro active than other dealers he had spoken with. If you help someone out and leave a lasting impression I'm sure you would be at the forefront of their mind if they we looking to change their vehicle.

Thank you to the few of you that have offered a helping hand and hopefully we can get this sorted.

Well Shaun good to see you on the web chat. Looking forward to my Coast from Sheffield ... even though I am in Devon. Your following up on your clients is impressive and heart warming ...especially as that is precisely the position I will be in in April!

Sad to hear lack of help from Breeze as they have duch a good reputation and I was keen to have my routine servicing done by them.

Are you 100% sure about that? on our cali & all our bluetooth equipped cars there are two bluetooth channels, one for the phone & one for media streaming & they can be connected to 2 separate phones.

I upgraded our stereo to one with carplay on it & can actually have one phone connected to the original VW bluetooth for phone, a further phone connected to the headunit bluetooth, a third media streaming via bluetooth & a fourth working for media & as a phone via the USB connection for carplay.

It certainly gets complicated in our house with multiple drivers & kids in charge of the entertainment on long journeys. All the family phones tend to be in range when the ignition is switched on at home so it can be a lottery as to what connects to what. It used to be simple when it was only my phone that was ever connected.

Last edited:
Well Shaun good to see you on the web chat. Looking forward to my Coast from Sheffield ... even though I am in Devon. Your following up on your clients is impressive and heart warming ...especially as that is precisely the position I will be in in April!

Sad to hear lack of help from Breeze as they have duch a good reputation and I was keen to have my routine servicing done by them.
Thank you, I look forward to meeting you next April!

When we bought a van last year, Breeze in Poole were so helpful even helping me by giving me information about a van I went to view in Wales whilst on the trip up, I've had nothing but positive things to say about them, their sales director was messenging me on a Sunday evening after I had some questions. Maybe they simply were very busy or they caught someone at the wrong time on the wrong day.

I have an 18' plate Beach and in the Poole area, might be able to help but knowing what sort of questions they have would be helpful...

Are you 100% sure about that? on our cali & all our bluetooth equipped cars there are two bluetooth channels, one for the phone & one for media streaming & they can be connected to 2 separate phones.

I upgraded our stereo to one with carplay on it & can actually have one phone connected to the original VW bluetooth for phone, a further phone connected to the headunit bluetooth, a third media streaming via bluetooth & a fourth working for media & as a phone via the USB connection for carplay.

It certainly gets complicated in our house with multiple drivers & kids in charge of the entertainment on long journeys. All the family phones tend to be in range when the ignition is switched on at home so it can be a lottery as to what connects to what. It used to be simple when it was only my phone that was ever connected.
No not 100% sure because technology moves on. It has certainly been the case in my last couple of cars and my wife’s car.
I know you can connected more than one device to use different systems but can you connect two phones for telephony at the same time?? If so which address book is displayed etc in Media Pro? Can’t show both can it?

Isn’t it a shame that nobody likes to ‘just help‘! People are so consumed with money and prestige, that doing a good turn may be a thing of the past. Although well done LRGS253, for your kind offer.

Isn’t it a shame that nobody likes to ‘just help‘! People are so consumed with money and prestige, that doing a good turn may be a thing of the past. Although well done LRGS253, for your kind offer.
Yes indeed.
I understand that business is business but it does seem that VW is not scaling up dealership resources in line with the volume of California sales. There should be a much tighter SLA for fault resolution/warranty claims.

Back