Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A needlessly complicated issue!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The issue in question is VW Commercial options pricing.

In many cases VW are charging a range of differing prices for exactly the same option but on different vehicle models. Lets take a set of Devonport alloy wheels and tyres as an example:

Transporter - Panel van - Startline £1458
Panel van - Trendline £1332
Panel van - Highline £996
Panel van - Sportline Standard fitment
Shuttle - S Not available
Shuttle - SE £1458
Caravelle - SE £ 996
Caravelle - Executive £ 342
California - Beach £1080
California - Ocean. Standard fitment.

Check out the options pricing across the transporter range and you'll find the prices for identical options vary greatly. Mud flaps on one vehicle will have a different price to exactly the same mud flaps on a different model. Cruise control on the base Startline van is £144 but £240 on the Beach and Ocean! This practice is nothing new and not limited to VW and is obviously a very carefully orchestrated ploy designed to A. maintain model hierarchy and B to extract the maximum profit from us their customers.

I know individual option packages may vary from model to model so this issue is complicated by that aspect however in many cases it needn't be. Some vehicles have certain options as standard equipment but the purchasers of those that don't are being subjected to what I think is little short of a dodgy little racket.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy the model of your choice and then choose your options from a non model specific fixed price menu e.g Devonport alloy wheels and tyres being the same price regardless of the model you've chosen? What makes one set worth £1458 when an
Identical set is £342?

Last edited:
What makes one set worth £1458 when an
Identical set is £342?
You need to look at the upgrade value.

3 sets of wheels: £150, £200, £300.

Upgrade from £150 to £300 = £150 option cost
Upgrade from £200 to £300 = £100 option cost.

More specifically, the Ocean as standard comes with more expensive wheels than the Beach. An upgrade of the Beach’s wheels should be more expensive than an upgrade of the Ocean’s wheels.

That doesn’t explain the difference in the mudflap option, but is it possible that it’s easier to fit mudflaps to a standard transporter than to a California?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

You need to look at the upgrade value.

3 sets of wheels: £150, £200, £300.

Upgrade from £150 to £300 = £150 option cost
Upgrade from £200 to £300 = £100 option cost.

More specifically, the Ocean as standard comes with more expensive wheels than the Beach. An upgrade of the Beach’s wheels should be more expensive than an upgrade of the Ocean’s wheels.

That doesn’t explain the difference in the mudflap option, but is it possible that it’s easier to fit mudflaps to a standard transporter than to a California?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

At what point in life do you suddenly get time to spare for stuff like this?

Can’t wait :Depressed

I know what happens at present but my point is, Why does it have to be this way?

The Transporter range comes in various models, forms and grades and prices vary accordingly to reflect that. These options to which I refer are the same on all these variants. Including them in the standard spec on a top model is one thing but if it's an option then it should be the same price across the board.

If you were to purchase their number one show winning "prime pedigree chum" from a top doggy breeder whilst I buy one of their lesser cooking hounds, why should I have to pay three or four times as much for an identical collar?

This is almost as bad as the people that docolument their mileage into a spreadsheet to work out an exact MPG

I think its a great point! Same van, difference prices? Baffles me to! :headbang

Same with all brands, they are private companies and can do what they want

The issue in question is VW Commercial options pricing.

In many cases VW are charging a range of differing prices for exactly the same option but on different vehicle models. Lets take a set of Devonport alloy wheels and tyres as an example:

Transporter - Panel van - Startline £1458
Panel van - Trendline £1332
Panel van - Highline £996
Panel van - Sportline Standard fitment
Shuttle - S Not available
Shuttle - SE £1458
Caravelle - SE £ 996
Caravelle - Executive £ 342
California - Beach £1080
California - Ocean. Standard fitment.

Check out the options pricing across the transporter range and you'll find the prices for identical options vary greatly. Mud flaps on one vehicle will have a different price to exactly the same mud flaps on a different model. Cruise control on the base Startline van is £144 but £240 on the Beach and Ocean! This practice is nothing new and not limited to VW and is obviously a very carefully orchestrated ploy designed to A. maintain model hierarchy and B to extract the maximum profit from us their customers.

I know individual option packages may vary from model to model so this issue is complicated by that aspect however in many cases it needn't be. Some vehicles have certain options as standard equipment but the purchasers of those that don't are being subjected to what I think is little short of a dodgy little racket.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy the model of your choice and then choose your options from a non model specific fixed price menu e.g Devonport alloy wheels and tyres being the same price regardless of the model you've chosen? What makes one set worth £1458 when an
Identical set is £342?
Makes train ticket pricing structure look pretty straightforward!

Back