Adding 230v connection

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Well today I finally started adding a 230v connection point into my Beach Hut.
Commando socket from engine bay ran under drivers seat. I have mounted a small 2 way DB and a Ctek 10A battery charger to charge the leisure battery whilist on 230v hook-up.
So far, I have 1 socket outlet on the rear fascia of the drivers seat.
I would like a second socket on the side panel trim under the sliding window. Anyone any idea how this comes apart...???

Looks a tidy bit of work
Where abouts gave you located the commando Socket ?
Any photo's ?

I have mounted the 16Amp commando socket in the engine bay adjacent the battery. I will post some pics when complete

Hey Jonny, leisure battery is under passenger seat.

Done a little more this evening, but not quite finished as the leisure battery is in the way of the socket back boxes. Grrrr, there is always something in the way with these vans. Anyway, managed to obtain some spacers and hopefully have it all finished tomorrow evening

16Amp Commando next to vehicle battery.

Commando socket from engine bay ran under drivers seat. I have mounted a small 2 way DB and a Ctek 10A battery charger to charge the leisure battery whilist on 230v hook-up.
I would like a second socket on the side panel trim under the sliding window. Anyone any idea how this comes apart...???

Blimey, by the look of the photos, you've bitten off more than I could chew! :D

:bananadanceAll finished and working. It's a fair bit of work for a few sockets and a battery charger. But I'm sure it will making our camping trips easier.
Will get to test this weekend in Devon then 2 weeks later in Italy.

Really happy with all the kit. It's hidden out the way and the sockets look almost OEM :bananadance

If anyone likes how this is done and needs advice on anything, let me know always happy to help:thumb

Good work :thumb
now here is a conundrum for you....' I managed to retro fit my webasto and did a similar leisure electrics install to you but managed to fit a 1x 30amp charger, 2x 110ah leisure batteries and a big 12v to 240v inverter without eating into the passenger space at all...... so where did it all go??:D

There is a 10 bonus points available if you can figure out where my 50l fresh water tank and shower is,? Which also doesn't eat into interior space :bananadance

Trailer!

Additional leisure battery in engine bay next to vehicle battery, inverter and charger under drivers seat and you added a CAK tank underneath for water...???

Great post! thanks.

Its something I've thought about doing myself.

How & where did you route the cable from the engine compartment? and where did you connect the earth?

I followed the cable run from the centre of the dash under the floor to drivers seat. From dash to engine bay is towards the corner. If you remove the wipers and bulk head you should see a grommet which allows entry to dash area.
Earth pin located under carpet, under drivers seat

All electrics and batteries in seat bases, sourced OEM bracket and ducting for webasto to route through step and b pillar but the tank and shower...... still no winner.....cak don't even make one as big as 50l

OP: I really like the hook up job. Been mulling the idea over myself for a while. How much did it cost in £ and time?
Thanks for sharing.

OP: I really like the hook up job. Been mulling the idea over myself for a while. How much did it cost in £ and time?
Thanks for sharing.

Takes around 6-8 hours depending how quick you are. Price wise, I think I spent about £250 including the battery charger.
I went camping last weekend and it made a massive difference. Just so much easier

Hey! @soulstyledevon got a question. What powers the plug socket under the drivers seat? Is it connected to the commando via the fuse box? Or is it connected to the battery with a 12v inverter?? Cheers!

We're looknig at getting the T6 Beach, but the to add a 240v hook up with a plug inside (which I'd imagine only works when its plugged in to the mains) costs 889,10 € So just trying to work out the best way of doing it...

Hey! @soulstyledevon got a question. What powers the plug socket under the drivers seat? Is it connected to the commando via the fuse box? Or is it connected to the battery with a 12v inverter?? Cheers!

We're looknig at getting the T6 Beach, but the to add a 240v hook up with a plug inside (which I'd imagine only works when its plugged in to the mains) costs 889,10 € So just trying to work out the best way of doing it...
All sockets are 230v and will only work on hook-up no inverter. I don't see the need or complication of an inverter.

Nice work (apart from the commando plug location but I've voiced my op on that ;))

One bit of general info that may be of some help to people regarding RCD's and hook-ups.

RCD's used with sockets have to be rated at 30mA. All campsite hook up points should have an RCD, also rated at 30mA. This means that when you've plugged into the hook up you have two similar RCD's in series.
This is NOT a problem but it does mean that you are unable to discriminate between which one may trip in the event of a fault (kettle or toaster usually). It's often the case that both go together.
So, if you ever experience a trip and reseting your own (or the campsite unit) RCD doesn't restore the supply then simply check the other one.:thumb

P.

w

www.travelvolts.com

I am considering doing this, what physical route did you use to connect your CTEK Charger to your leisure battery please?

You should find it will go under the carpet no problem. There is already vehicle wiring there already anyway.

Hi just joined as you came up on a Google search I am wanting to put a split charge system in and a 240V hookup can you tell me where you bought all your bits especially sockets. I'd thought about putting a plate over the seat panel but like your idea. Is that a Webasto heater vent? I want to add that next year so interesting you didn't put LB under drivers seat which most T5 owners seem to suggest. I've saved your pics but if you have any others and advice I'd be really grateful.

Back