Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air conditioning

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Bit of a stupid question, but I thought I would ask anyway. When stationary without the engine on, if switch the ignition on the air con comes on. Does this work without the engine on ? Asking as I wonder if would reduce the humidity and condensation on a cold morning after sleeping the night in the van. I expect the answer is no but you never know

The air conditioner compressor is belt driven from the the engine crankshaft and only operates with the engine running. During stop-start engine turn off, the aircon will continue to function while there is still residual cold refrigerant in the system, but eventually stop-start will be cancelled and the engine will start in order to maintain aircon operation. Turning the ignition key on without starting the engine will start the fans running, but not the compressor.

Bit of a stupid question, but I thought I would ask anyway. When stationary without the engine on, if switch the ignition on the air con comes on. Does this work without the engine on ? Asking as I wonder if would reduce the humidity and condensation on a cold morning after sleeping the night in the van. I expect the answer is no but you never know

You are right - the answer is a NO.

When the vehicle is stationary, the air con lights come on ... but not the compressor. So technically it is only the fan that is on and not the compressor and therefore will not have any impact on humidity etc.

The best way to keep the cabin dry is to leave the driver/passenger window a crack open (possible very easily with wind deflectors), or use the safe lock to leave the rear door a tad open. Ensures air circulation and therefore less humidity.

Asking as I wonder if would reduce the humidity and condensation on a cold morning after sleeping the night in the van.

The response above nicely covers the air con question. But I use an external windscreen cover and find that we don't get any condensation, no matter how cold. Is your van quite bad for it then?

We normally don't use the heater overnight once in bed, but have done a couple of times. Not sure if that makes a difference or not?

The response above nicely covers the air con question. But I use an external windscreen cover and find that we don't get any condensation, no matter how cold. Is your van quite bad for it then?

We normally don't use the heater overnight once in bed, but have done a couple of times. Not sure if that makes a difference or not?
Chances are there is condensation somewhere. We found that with an insulated screen cover & no window open, it stopped forming on the screen but started on on the back wall of the under sink cupboard & on the exposed metal part of the roof hatch surround.

Using an external thermal cover Without adequate ventilation just means the condensation just moves to the next coldest area which would be the bare, uninsulated, body panels behind the kitchen and wardrobe cupboards or the body panels behind the interior trim. It’s still produced and will condense out, basic physics, without adequate ventilation.

Back