Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season Tyre Suggestion - Michelin CrossClimate +

I live in the Highlands of Scotland and whilst we get very little snow these days, I have replaced the original road tyres on my Cali with a set of Cross climate SUV’s
I find it difficult to tell the difference in driving mode between the different tyres but the standard road tyres that came with the van would have been pretty useless if I had to drive in snow due to the poor tread pattern.
I generally would not use the van in snow but as the front tyres were ready for replacing, I went the whole hog and replaced the whole lot with the Michelin’s.
Time will tell how they perform from a ware/ grip in bad conditions areas.
All the excellent write ups can’t be wrong!

So I would suggest the difference in wear issue is due to @WelshGas having a 4 wheel drive and @Geesvw having a 2 wheel drive.

I posted many years ago that one of the reasons I went for a 4 motion was the experience of 10 years and a 150k with a 2 Litre Touran with FWD. I’d like to think I’m a pretty smooth driver but front wheel spin when pulling away was an issue.

So each to their own but personalIy I would quite happily spec a 150hp 2 wheel drive Cali but anything above and it would be a 4 Motion. If I already had the high powered FWD and needed winter tyres I’d be switching wheels to specific winter tyres.

I think this issue highlights that there are very few hard and fast rules and we each have slightly different circumstances. No doubt why there often appears to be disagreement when in fact there is none.

Mike

After eighteen months driving a 204bhp Ocean 2wd. I would tick the 4motion box if ordering again.

Not that I’ve been stuck, so you could argue it’s not really needed. But the wheels spin far easier in the wet and on a recent trip to south devon with the water we have had and the mud down some of the lanes. 4wd would have been more planted.

My last van 140bhp Beach, never spun up as much as this 204bhp T6 Ocean.

I am considering trading in this year, but can’t get my head round how ugly the T6.1 front end is...

Black circle currently have a deal on so going for these:-

Michelin CrossClimate SUV
235/55 R17 V (103)
4 x 4 Tyre - Reinforced

Voucher code is CC40

Total £514.40 fitted

Free Tracking check

Mike

On my second set and still impressed.

My first set were used extensively on high moorland snowy roads in UK and handled very well.

235/55 R17 V (103)
4 x 4 Tyre - Reinforced

Voucher code is CC40

Total £514.40 fitted

Free Tracking check

Mike

On the door pillar on my T6 it does not mention
235/55 R17 V, it says 215/60/R17

What should I be ordering ? Confused

Look on your current tyre sidewall for size / load and speed rating. i would expect they are 235/55 17 size

Look on your current tyre sidewall for size / load and speed rating. i would expect they are 235/55 17 size

My tyres are 215/60/R17 , that's what it says on the label on the pillar so where does it say I can use 235?

My tyres are 215/60/R17 , that's what it says on the label on the pillar so where does it say I can use 235?
Is that the only size on the label? My label lists both 17" sizes, as well as the two 16" sizes that were fitted the year my van was made.

On the door pillar on my T6 it does not mention
235/55 R17 V, it says 215/60/R17

What should I be ordering ? Confused
Are you sure? It usually lists several sizes. With a 204, yours is very surprising news.

Forget the pilar look at the tyre. Never heard of a T6 204 ocean on 215 tyres. The pillar label just tells the pressure for a range of sizes. You need to look at the tyre sidewall.

235/55 R17 V (103)
4 x 4 Tyre - Reinforced

Voucher code is CC40

Total £514.40 fitted

Free Tracking check

Mike
I just got those at Kwik Fit, through their website, fitted at local branch, for £511.00
Guys were nice but a bit hopeless.

The pillar label just tells the pressure for a range of sizes. You need to look at the tyre sidewall.
To me, the pillar tells you the choices you have that keep you 'standard' from an insurance point of view. I WOULD look at the label. If you just look at the tyre, and a previous owner put an non standard / non load rated tyre on, you'd just repeat the error.

Sorry guys, I appear to have not updated my profile, I now have a 150 , does that make a difference?

Sorry guys, I appear to have not updated my profile, I now have a 150 , does that make a difference?
It's more likely to have come on 215's, as did my T6 150, but it had the 235 size on the sticker/label as well.

Yes, It could have come fitted with 215's, but the label should have the option of fitting 235's

Beware of KwIK fit quality RE FITTING - my local branch broke 3 studs on one back wheel of my previous eclass.
Under trained and sloppy IMHO

I fitted a pair of these to my front wheels a couple of years ago, and I must say they're really overrated
The rubber is so soft, only lasted 10K miles, for average mild UK winters, not entirely necessary, despite decent grip in the rain.
If you are going to purchase, make sure you buy "Agilis" Cross Climate as they're designed for a transporter/California
I've now fitted "Goodyear Marathon Cargo" tyres at a fraction of the Cross Climate tyres price - now after 10K miles, they have no great sign of wear!
After almost 3 years on the same set of Bridgestones its time for me to shop for new tyres. Been looking at Crossclimates today and although Agilis are meant for vans you can't buy them in 235/55 R17. Shame really as the suggested extra durability is appealing. So if I go for these its a toss-up between SUV and +. Probably the latter for my 2WD Beach.

After almost 3 years on the same set of Bridgestones its time for me to shop for new tyres. Been looking at Crossclimates today and although Agilis are meant for vans you can't buy them in 235/55 R17. Shame really as the suggested extra durability is appealing. So if I go for these its a toss-up between SUV and +. Probably the latter for my 2WD Beach.
Yep, it's complex. The Agilis is available for the 215x60 size fitted to some Cali's. They have a very high load rating (107/109) and have a very different pattern to the SUV and the + models.
What's the load rating of the + model in the 235s? I went for the 235 SUV following my own thread on the confusing choice.

Yep, it's complex. The Agilis is available for the 215x60 size fitted to some Cali's. They have a very high load rating (107/109) and have a very different pattern to the SUV and the + models.
What's the load rating of the + model in the 235s? I went for the 235 SUV following my own thread on the confusing choice.
The CrossClimate+ and SUV are both available in a 103 load rating according to Blackcircles' web site.

The CrossClimate+ and SUV are both available in a 103 load rating according to Blackcircles' web site.
I wonder what the difference is then? I ordered the SUV expecting (not hoping just expecting) them to have the central rib as shown in most of the photos, but they haven't.....they have the same pattern as the +. (i did check they'd sent the right ones, and they had).

I wonder what the difference is then? I ordered the SUV expecting (not hoping just expecting) them to have the central rib as shown in most of the photos, but they haven't.....they have the same pattern as the +. (i did check they'd sent the right ones, and they had).

No idea. Checked mine as well and all I can say is they have SUV stamped on them and they are directional so make sure fitted right if by a numpty.
Mine were fitted by Bathwick and they were fine. Took out the spare for me, greased up the threads and tightened wheels to 180nm at my request.
They wouldn’t put copper ease on the wheels as against company policy, which was fair enough.

Mike

Get the SUV version as more suited to the weight of a cali.
SUV has stronger sidewalls and tread is designed to clear out grit, stones and mud better than 'passenger' version.

If you go up by 5% sidewall to a 235/60/17 Crossclimate SUV they come in a 106 load rating.
The 5% would put the speedo pretty much to true road speed. No camera error to play with.

Get the SUV version as more suited to the weight of a cali.
SUV has stronger sidewalls and tread is designed to clear out grit, stones and mud better than 'passenger' version.
That's the interesting part....they have (to the eye) exactly the same pattern, and the same load rating (which I think is as close to get to measuring the strength of the side walls). I'm VERY happy with mine, just confused!

Back