Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative under-sink drawer options....and a slide out for the left hand cupboard!

Thank you for the picture; that’s just what I was thinking of for the shelf.

I’d be tempted to leave the edging off to make it easier to pull out the baskets but that might be tempting fate and a damaged door!

Never used a ‘depth stop’ before but presume I can get one at a good DIY merchants.
Just wrap some tape around the drill bit at the depth you want. No need to spend money on a special tool.

I don’t think the right and left fixed shelves are not the same in a T6.1 due to the curvature of the front edge.

Hello,

I will have a look tomorrow.

If my spare shelf from the right side fits into the left side I hope I find another way to fix the shelf brackets to the side. I know me, if I drill holes into the cupboard I will do more damage than it is worth.

With all the experience, why hasn't VW put some holes in the side to give the user an option to either place the shelf in a different height or add an additional shelf?

Why-o-why?

Happy California,
Eberhard

Hello,

I will have a look tomorrow.

If my spare shelf from the right side fits into the left side I hope I find another way to fix the shelf brackets to the side. I know me, if I drill holes into the cupboard I will do more damage than it is worth.

With all the experience, why hasn't VW put some holes in the side to give the user an option to either place the shelf in a different height or add an additional shelf?

Why-o-why?

Happy California,
Eberhard
They really should.
I guess you could buy some square or angle section aluminium (or wood), cut to length and stick them to the sides to support the shelf. A high strength double sided tape should do the trick.

Just wrap some tape around the drill bit at the depth you want. No need to spend money on a special tool.
Ah yes...I am accustomed with that technique but my drilling skills aren't great and I'm worried it will punch through and damage something!

Ah yes...I am accustomed with that technique but my drilling skills aren't great and I'm worried it will punch through and damage something!
I would normally use a bit of tape but for the sake of £2 versus the potential damage to a Cali kitchen I too would probably get one of these.

I would normally use a bit of tape but for the sake of £2 versus the potential damage to a Cali kitchen I too would probably get one of these.

Is feel much happier drilling if I had that in place.
Thank you for the link.

I have acrylic fridge storage boxes which have a handle on them haven’t needed extra shelf space but i do have the old style kitchen shelf and hooks just below top bed and a £1 poundland chopping board over the sink

So same across these tonight:

View attachment 70210

....and then found they have a slide out for the left cupboard:

View attachment 70211

Thought people might like to see it.....
345 euros, so not cheap.

345 euros, so not cheap.
Certainly not but I can’t think of much for the Cali that is.

I just know that, although I wouldn’t be without my shop style drawers, they don’t suit everyone, and I think knowing about other options is always useful.

For me the shop drawers win, hands down!

You can add extra shelves. I fitted the drawers in the right hand cupboard and sold the redundant shelf to a club member. There should be a few unneeded shelves out there because quite a few people have fitted the drawer kit. You’ll need the retaining clips as well as the shelf.
And here it is.

20201111_140727.jpg

You can drill holes in the fridge side wall, but use a depth stop to make sure you dont go too deep, the shelf can be moved over, but as it is curved you need to remove the front edge and turn the shlf over ten re attach the edge, its quite simple to do

View attachment 70232
So, I found my spare left sided shelf. Can I ask how you removed the front trim, because mine won’t budge? I might just be a weakling, but it looks like the metal is pressed on in places.

So same across these tonight:

View attachment 70210

....and then found they have a slide out for the left cupboard:

View attachment 70211

Thought people might like to see it.....
Thanks for sharing these. Like the idea of sliding shelves rather than drawers. The left cupboard sliding shelf would be particularly good for me.

They really should.
I guess you could buy some square or angle section aluminium (or wood), cut to length and stick them to the sides to support the shelf. A high strength double sided tape should do the trick.
That sounds like a better plan for people like me who are a bit “over enthusiastic” with a drill.

You can drill holes in the fridge side wall, but use a depth stop to make sure you dont go too deep, the shelf can be moved over, but as it is curved you need to remove the front edge and turn the shlf over ten re attach the edge, its quite simple to do

View attachment 70232
Hi @sinbad

I'm revisiting moving my shelf over to the under hob cupboard again. Can I ask what you used to get the front strip off the right sided shelf? I can't seem to get mine to budge and didn't want to force it any more in case I broke it. It has pinch points underneath the strip that look like it has been clamped on, possibly with glue as well.

Any advice welcome. I might just have to make a shelf using the right one as a template.

Thanks

Slide out shelf for left hand cupboard could be very useful. I think you may have cost me more money :)

Shame the front edge isn’t curved to match the existing shelf.
I bought one of these kits a while back and was very unimpressed by the look of it and the quality - all very Heath Robinson.
So anyway, i’m now re-engineering it and fitting a VW kitchen drawer to match the right hand cupboard (on order £38).

I bought one of these kits a while back and was very unimpressed by the look of it and the quality - all very Heath Robinson.
So anyway, i’m now re-engineering it and fitting a VW kitchen drawer to match the right hand cupboard (on order £38).
Sorry to hear that; that company usually gets good feedback on their products. Do let me know how you get on with the VW drawer.

Hi @sinbad

I'm revisiting moving my shelf over to the under hob cupboard again. Can I ask what you used to get the front strip off the right sided shelf? I can't seem to get mine to budge and didn't want to force it any more in case I broke it. It has pinch points underneath the strip that look like it has been clamped on, possibly with glue as well.

Any advice welcome. I might just have to make a shelf using the right one as a template.

Thanks
On mine the strip was not glued on, I loosend the tabs on the underside with a thin flat blade screwdriver then worked the strip off from one end , hope this helps.

On mine the strip was not glued on, I loosend the tabs on the underside with a thin flat blade screwdriver then worked the strip off from one end , hope this helps.
Thank you...I'll try again with a screwdriver.

So, today’s project was to fit a drawer in the left hand cupboard to replace the slide out shelf. A bit of engineering required but a straightforward job. Retained the shelf runners and fixings but dispensed with the shelf. The width of the drawer needed to be reduced by 30mm but this was easy to do. The front panel did not need reducing. Happy with the result :)

B666A1E5-F901-436B-ABDE-D243290778B7.jpeg

A note to anybody fitting the slide out shelf. If you stick the aluminium uprights to the sides of the left hand cupboard with the resting on the fixed shelf as per the instructions, it is then impossible to remove the fixed shelf should you need to. I’d advise putting a removable spacer below each upright to allow for shelf removal.

@GrumpyGranddad How did you fix the drawer within the left hand cupboard? Just out of interest
I’d previously bought the slide out shelf kit which has aluminium extrusions that attach to each side of the cupboard with self adhesive double sided tape. The drawer runners screw into those extrusions. I retained the above but ditched the tray itself and replaced with a modified drawer.

I’d previously bought the slide out shelf kit which has aluminium extrusions that attach to each side of the cupboard with self adhesive double sided tape. The drawer runners screw into those extrusions. I retained the above but ditched the tray itself and replaced with a modified drawer.
Aha, mystery solved. Is that the only way of making this work, or can you buy the 'extrusions' alone?

I’m sure that you could buy some alumnium stock or even use wood and attach with tape to the cupboard sides. Then source the appropriate size runners and attach them to the uprights. If you chose runner that the drawer sat on top of, you probably wouldn’t need to reduce the drawer width as I did. Mine is a compromise because I already had the metalwork and runners in place and the drawer sits between the runners not on top of. Hope that makes sense. Genuine VW drawer is £38. I bought mine from Citygate.

Back