Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Annoying Rattle Drivers Side

Fletchi

Fletchi

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We have an intermittent Rattle that sounds like it's coming at the drivers ear level. I thought it might be the safety clips on my Coast roof but after careful wrapping in foam it's still there it's very annoying.
I don't think its the awning but I can't see what can be moving. It's noticeable on rough roads and particularly when on a bend.
It's not every time. The passenger side is silent.
Has anyone else had this experience?

We have an intermittent Rattle that sounds like it's coming at the drivers ear level. I thought it might be the safety clips on my Coast roof but after careful wrapping in foam it's still there it's very annoying.
I don't think its the awning but I can't see what can be moving. It's noticeable on rough roads and particularly when on a bend.
It's not every time. The passenger side is silent.
Has anyone else had this experience?
I suspect it’s the awning. Take a read of this thread https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/does-your-awning-rattle.31723/page-2#post-568682
Then search for other posts under ‘awning rattle’.

I'm pretty sure that you'll find that one of the two 'anti-rattle' devices (the one nearest the driver) will have moved along the channel in the awing and will not be dampening the movement and thus causing the noise your hearing. It has done it on mine a number of times and always sounds like the noise is coming from somewhere inside the vehicle!

1655071478407.png

Mine was rattling on weekend. As well as the anti rattle device having moved the outer casing was loose and vibrating...a quarter turn of the awning handle sorted it. All quiet now...

The rattling can of course come from many places and for me it came from the roller blind in the sliding door: on bad road surfaces and at wells it rattled like crazy. So, with me it was the roller blind. Easily solved with a felt piece to stick in the slot on both sides where the blind passes.
close up.jpg
Of course it could be the awning with you (not with me because I don't have one).
Good luck with finding and solving it because I thought the rattling was very annoying.

We have had a rattle since day 1, 3 years now. It comes from drivers window as only happens when it’s open and doesn’t matter by how much or little it’s open. Doesn’t happen with passengers window.Fitted window wind deflectors, Team Heko and thought maybe the fact they are inside rim might have helped by ‘bracing’ against glass but the ‘loose tattle’ seems more at the bottom of the frame. Anyone have this issue ?

We have had a rattle since day 1, 3 years now. It comes from drivers window as only happens when it’s open and doesn’t matter by how much or little it’s open. Doesn’t happen with passengers window.Fitted window wind deflectors, Team Heko and thought maybe the fact they are inside rim might have helped by ‘bracing’ against glass but the ‘loose tattle’ seems more at the bottom of the frame. Anyone have this issue ?
Having the window open just amplifies the awning rattle, I doubt it’s your window, the window runs in a rubber seal, which should prevent it rattling

if you think it’s your window when open : whilst the window is open, try pushing the window down wards and pull it toward you a little, so it is tight against the rubber seal, I bet the rattle is still there ?
if so it’s you’re awning.

Last edited:
Check if the table in the sliding door is locked in correctly, when that’s not locked in fully, it can sound like it’s coming from much higher up

Another vote for the awning.
Thats what it was for me.

My sliding door was causing an annoying rattle. Try driving with the sliding door not fully locked. If the rattle disappears you can try adjusting the top sliding door bracket in or out by a few millimetres. I my case a few millimetres out did the trick.

So many sources of rattle and I agree the awning is very likely. But my latest spring failure (this time, front) ended up with quite a high pitched hard-to-locate rattle as the broken end jiggled around inside the remaining coils on uneven road surfaces.

The awning gets my vote. Although not completely locking the table is another source

I had this at the weekend I demo'd the windscreen blind (driver side) my Grandson. While driving later, I had a rattling there too. When I stopped, I gently pulled out the blind half way and rolled it back up again. The plastic edge also seemed to fit a little better. Stopped the rattling 100%.

I had this at the weekend I demo'd the windscreen blind (driver side) my Grandson. While driving later, I had a rattling there too. When I stopped, I gently pulled out the blind half way and rolled it back up again. The plastic edge also seemed to fit a little better. Stopped the rattling 100%.
hello
FYI: see my post from Monday. I put a picture in it and explained what I did. No more rattle.
Greetings

Yes, just noticed a rattle on that side only when window is open

Think every owner has been through the drivers side rattle hunt! It’s amazing how rattle sounds can transfer their noise to other areas, crafty b@ggers!
To eliminate the awning as a source, while driving, roll down the drivers window, put your arm through the window and place your hand on the awning, if the rattle stops, you found it, if not look elsewher. Goes without saying, only do this when safe to do so!

I'm pretty sure that you'll find that one of the two 'anti-rattle' devices (the one nearest the driver) will have moved along the channel in the awing and will not be dampening the movement and thus causing the noise your hearing. It has done it on mine a number of times and always sounds like the noise is coming from somewhere inside the vehicle!

View attachment 94473
Is this picture taken with the awning ‘flap’ just lifted. I’m not sure what you’re showing here.

My Rattle did seem to be the awning while o holiday, curiously once we left the Highlands in Scotland and came down to lower levels it stopped. Funnily, I first noticed it on a previous holiday in the Peak District. Here in flat Norfolk I've never heard it. It may just be coincidence but could a few hundred feet of altitude be a factor?

My rattle is when the drivers window is closed. When I adjust the window slightly using the electric controls it stops so I think it’s definitely the window .

Any ideas how to make sure window is “tightened” or whatever you think ??

Thanks

My rattle is when the drivers window is closed. When I adjust the window slightly using the electric controls it stops so I think it’s definitely the window .

Any ideas how to make sure window is “tightened” or whatever you think ??

Thanks
Maybe the weather striping has hardened or worn allowing the window to move? Should be a cheap job to replace if that is the cause. Otherwise the window regulator might be the problem and no longer holding the window snug in the frame.

In a follow up to my original post. Since returning from Scotland to Norfolk in June I have had no rattles of any kind. I've not done mega miles locally but no rattles. For various family reasons we've not had an overnight trip since June. It will be interesting to see if the Rattle returns in the future.

Think every owner has been through the drivers side rattle hunt! It’s amazing how rattle sounds can transfer their noise to other areas, crafty b@ggers!
To eliminate the awning as a source, while driving, roll down the drivers window, put your arm through the window and place your hand on the awning, if the rattle stops, you found it, if not look elsewher. Goes without saying, only do this when safe to do so!

I’m not convinced this test eliminates the awning as the source of a rattle. My understanding is the anti rattle devices dampen noise from inside the awning housing (from fold out arms hitting rear). In my case my hand out the window on the awning housing made no difference but positioning the anti rattle devices correctly did the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having the window open just amplifies the awning rattle, I doubt it’s your window, the window runs in a rubber seal, which should prevent it rattling

if you think it’s your window when open : whilst the window is open, try pushing the window down wards and pull it toward you a little, so it is tight against the rubber seal, I bet the rattle is still there ?
if so it’s you’re awning.
Solved the awning rattle:

I have the anti rattle plastic clips which have severely improved the awning rattle.
I was still getting a rattle particularly when driving on rough roads (everywhere) With the drivers window open, which I find Really annoying.

long story short, the awning leg (top cast joint ) is able to move enough to allow the support leg to hit the upper awning casing (even when clipped in correctly to the plastic leg holder in the middle of the awning).
This can be checked by partially opening the awning approx 100mm , push the top part of each leg joint casting upwards, you’ll see it move, the leg joint is riveted and has a swivel joint, allowing it to move upwards with relative ease & allowing the leg to hit the main casing inside, (causing a intermittent rattle)
decided to try fitting a couple of bits closed cell plastic foam, (the Type you get in packaging with phone cases etc about 4mm thick ) .
I used two pieces cut to the width of the inside of the awning casing directly above the leg storage position & 70mm long , fitted them lengthways, directly above the upper leg cast hinge position, about 40mm in from either side of the attachment point for the leg hinge, attached with automotive double side sponge tape.
this created enough support to solve the rattle even over very rough roads.

very simple highly effective fix to a highly annoying rattle, hope this is useful

View attachment 94473
Hi. I may have this rattle too! Does your picture show the correct positioning? I can’t tell if mine have moved. What part of the folded canopy struts should they touch

Back