Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone using propane refillable?

I've started filling my own 907's with propane, just need to reduce the full volume slightly to take account of the vapour pressures. Winter camping will no longer be a problem.

Just got Gaslow for our new Hymer van.One off cost c £300 but now it only costs £9 to fill a 6kg bottle with LPG and no faffing around swapping cylinders over.
Hi HowieDog, please could you share details of the 6kg bottle you have bought? We have been looking at Gasit and a few others, we Don’t want a gas point, just a bottle we can fill that will do us for Europe as well as UK.
Kind regards
Alun

I've seen many many of these threads just go around in circles once the legal aspect is raised. The link you posted refers to filling non-refillable cylinders at a service station which is slightly off topic (as are the legalities). May I respectfully suggest a seperate thread for the legalities and confine this one to the technicalities?
It refers to portable, a refillable is still portable, until you plumb in a refilling point on the van, at which point it ia no longer classes as portable and it is permitted to fill at service stations. That said, whilst some won’t, many petrol stations allow the filling of portable Gaslow type cylinders.

Do NOT fill your 907 with propane! The bottle is not designed for the higher pressure. That’s the advice from a former manager at AirLiquide .
Instead switch to a 2012 propane bottle. Fits a little more tight to the van. Also beware of the 10 year lifetime if you find the slightly smaller 2006 bottle still available at some suppliers. But what’s your issue with butane if you not plan to use the van in colder conditions?

Do NOT fill your 907 with propane! The bottle is not designed for the higher pressure. That’s the advice from a former manager at AirLiquide .
Instead switch to a 2012 propane bottle. Fits a little more tight to the van. Also beware of the 10 year lifetime if you find the slightly smaller 2006 bottle still available at some suppliers. But what’s your issue with butane if you not plan to use the van in colder conditions?
Putting aside the filling of 907’s with propane…..the issue I have and many others on here is the EYE WATERING PRICE charged for 907 refills. I haven’t bought one for a while but I believe they are around £35 to £38 here in the UK. We’re off to France next month so will exchange there for about £22 which is a little better.

I filled my 6kg Gaslow last December with propane at £1.44 /kg

Even at £35 per refill 907’s work out at £12.96/kg ! That is NINE times more expensive!

The motive here is £££££££

Do NOT fill your 907 with propane! The bottle is not designed for the higher pressure. That’s the advice from a former manager at AirLiquide . Instead switch to a 2012 propane bottle. Fits a little more tight to the van. Also beware of the 10 year lifetime if you find the slightly smaller 2006 bottle still available at some suppliers. But what’s your issue with butane if you not plan to use the van in colder conditions?
Do NOT fill your 907 with propane! The bottle is not designed for the higher pressure. That’s the advice from a former manager at AirLiquide . Instead switch to a 2012 propane bottle. Fits a little more tight to the van. Also beware of the 10 year lifetime if you find the slightly smaller 2006 bottle still available at some suppliers. But what’s your issue with butane if you not plan to use the van in colder conditions?

If your 907 is stamped with Butane and Propane there is no issue at all providing you reduce the the volume of liquid gas.

PXL_20220806_083857270.jpg

I am thinking about the possibility of fitting a Gaslow 2.7 kg refillable in place of the 907. Has anyone else done this? How did you go about it? In our previous PVC’s we had Gaslow, in fact we still have two refillable’s in the garage but as they are 11kg and 6 kg no use to me right now!

As best as I can tell from the manual the only change I will need to make is the regulator.

Any thoughts and advice welcomed.

Now then, I agree the price to change is eye watering but I reckon I can sell the 6kg bottle and use the money towards a 2.7. Then I can refill the 11kg cylinder at my friendly depot in Edinburgh and use that one to refill the 2.7 at home. I use to fly hot air balloons and the prospect of refilling does not phase me at all (it’s just common sense and the right gear).

All seems too easy…….. tell what I’ve missed :D
Hello Chocksaway, I imported at Cali from Germany to British Columbia and over here butane in bulk is not used or available for 907s or any other cylinders. I had a hydraulic hose shop attached the butane male end fitting to a single stage propane regulator and bought a 5 lb. propane bottle that fit into the Cali's bottle well. The 5 lb. is slightly taller than the butane, so I cut 3/8" off the bottom 'stand up' ring on the bottom and then fashioned a 3/8" spacer on the screw on lid to give me enough clearance for the overall height. It all works fine.
Butane is not offered in Canada due to its freezing, and of course one cannot use a butane bottle for propane.

Last edited:
Hi HowieDog, please could you share details of the 6kg bottle you have bought? We have been looking at Gasit and a few others, we Don’t want a gas point, just a bottle we can fill that will do us for Europe as well as UK.
Kind regards
Alun

For anyone considering the Gaslow 2.7 for California’s with the gas locker inside the water tank …….. I checked with Gaslow HQ and they said the cylinder is just a little to high to fit inside and still put the lid back on :(

Back to the drawing board …….:oops:

For anyone considering the Gaslow 2.7 for California’s with the gas locker inside the water tank …….. I checked with Gaslow HQ and they said the cylinder is just a little to high to fit inside and still put the lid back on :(

What about someone 3d printing a new domed screw on lid to give a bit more hight?

So then team, I have managed to acquire an empty 15kg Calor Butane cylinder (well collecting later) and I am gonna have a go at refilling the 907's. I am looking on t'interweb for the hoses to do this but I just wondered if anyone can point to a supply source or details the exact fittings for each end please?

This does border on being lazy but i have a lot to do today so any fast track advice would help me.

OK.... it looks like i need this part for the Calor end...

There are suppliers on Multicoloured auction site sellling the whole kits, just specify Butane to 907 etc and it should come up In a search

tip, ask for a non return valve to be supplied with the kit, note you will have to assemble to fittings / hose etc, despite the listings showing a complete assembly

I've had luck with a supplier called lpgadaptersdn on the aforementioned site.

Does anyone know the thread size/reference for the GOK fitting that VW supply on the 907?
@Perfectos @yossarian thanks chaps :thumb

There are suppliers on Multicoloured auction site sellling the whole kits, just specify Butane to 907 etc and it should come up In a search

tip, ask for a non return valve to be supplied with the kit, note you will have to assemble to fittings / hose etc, despite the listings showing a complete assembly
What would a non return valve do for me? I can just vent the hose after the transfer is complete (never had NRV’s on hot air balloons)

Does anyone know the thread size/reference for the GOK fitting that VW supply on the 907?

@Perfectos @yossarian thanks chaps :thumb

The Gaz cylinder is something like a "G16" or something like that. If you order a kit you need to search 21.4mm clip on to gaz 907 or something like that. They will supply you a tap with no safety vent and a lh Butane nut and G16, not compatible with the pig tail in your van.

All the above from hazy old memory... YMMV.

And I called GasLow and they told me they DO fit! Sigh…

300mm 330mm to the top of the elbow. No tap on top required as the gaslow has this and the pressure relief valve is built in.

Looks like you will require a KLF adapter but this will not add height.

Should just be a matter of poking a 30cm ruler tape measure into the gas locker and seeing if it will work.

Last edited:
Back