Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are internal roof toppers the real deal? (or pants)

This is interesting.

My own Ocean is on order and my only experience of using any form of campervan was the long weekend hire of an Ocean last October.

I have camped (no tent, tiny tents, small tents, large tents, trailer tents) most of my 50+ years.

Those of you who find sleeping upstairs cold... What are you sleeping in? Sleeping n bags? Duvets? Other?

Wouldn't investment in some decent sleeping bags be cheaper and more convenient than any of these topper alternatives?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

We also bought the Vango Aurora double sleeping bag. It is so warm and cosy and even comes with matching pillow cases (thrown in the main storage bag). It's a pleasure to climb into it everytime, though the sides unzip if you want to treat it more like a duvet.

After extensive research, we've held off buying any topper for now... but will likely buy a 'outer' for protection from the rain, wind, snow that we may experience on winter trips or ski trips (if we are brave enough to take that on!) Something that provides thermal protection to keep the van hotter or colder (depending on your needs) is what we are ideally after, but which is also a sensible size to store/ carry and cost effective. I think I tended towards this one in the end... as the one that ticked most boxes! http://www.thais-uk.com/

Nice to see my old thread pop back up. I'm a few months into T5 ownership and camping without a topper whilst I decide. A couple of thoughts you may be able to help me with.....

Looking at the roof space and with an understanding of how the internal ones attach, I can't help feeling that at the sides, the 2 materials must be very close to each other? Particularly given some of the 'baggy pants' installations. Is that right...do they touch....and what does that do for the insulation / sound deadening properties discussed above?

Also, are the internal ones 100% waterproof, so even if my outer canvas is soaked, would my mattress stay completely dry when I fold the wet roof away and travel to my next stop?

We've got internal and external Comforts ones and can say without doubt the internal one insulates best.
Yes, it does touch the canvas and yes it is totally waterproof.
We are currently sat in a gale and cats and dogs rain at Silverstone but toasty and dry in the van.
Last week in Ireland, three nights wind and rain. No damp inside the Cozi but canvas soaking wet on the inside.
I'd never go back to the external especially trying to put it on in wind and rain by which time the canvas is already wet.
OK there are a few wrinkles here and there, like me nowadays, but couldn't care less.
It does what it says on the tin

I definitely think it is quieter with both the internal or external topper fitted and the internal topper is waterproof imo.

We've got internal and external Comforts ones and can say without doubt the internal one insulates best.
Yes, it does touch the canvas and yes it is totally waterproof.
We are currently sat in a gale and cats and dogs rain at Silverstone but toasty and dry in the van.
Last week in Ireland, three nights wind and rain. No damp inside the Cozi but canvas soaking wet on the inside.
I'd never go back to the external especially trying to put it on in wind and rain by which time the canvas is already wet.
OK there are a few wrinkles here and there, like me nowadays, but couldn't care less.
It does what it says on the tin

Hope the weather improves at Silverstone for you.

So, Just to clarify... I would have thought - and please don't be afraid to correct me - that the external toppers would prove to be more waterproof as they hang over the top of the van (providing an air insulated area) and thus you have a gap between the topper and the VW roof canvas? (I do take your point about the hassel of putting them on in the wet). Equally, I would have expected the internal ones to get damp IF the wind / rain lashes in against the VW roof canvas... assuming there is / will be an element of 'touch' between it and the internal roof liner? Also, I was hoping that things like the Thais / Pucer Screens would act as a reflector of sunlight (and thus keep the top cooler) in sunny weather? My logic may be ill-founded...? Any help or experience gladly received!
Thanks
Ian

There is absolutely no sound deadening
Disagree on sound reduction.
Fitted the Brandrup internal outside my house with loads of traffic passing. Instantly noticed reduced noise level when fully fitted.
Not saying that it cuts out sound but makes it more of a background level.
The outer cover should have more sound reducing capability but reduced direct ventilation.

Last edited:
I have isotop iv in my T6 ocean. Not had it in cold weather yet but it cuts down draught from the vents to nearly nothing. Stretches right, do not baggy at all totally dry, even in v wet/windy conditions. The eye watering cost is now long forgotten and am a glad of it every time I put the roof up. Glad also I don't have to fit an external topper (over roof bars/box). Not aware of sound deadening, but it's still a tent we're talking about here

Charles

We have an iso top upstairs, it makes it a much nicer place to be especially in winter time, it certainly keeps out the draughs.

Hi,
Iso top , is a lot of money, but is well made and shuts out all the light, as mentioned fit is good , and easy to fit, instructions a bit vague,but this is due to translation , so read .looptape is the furry side of the Valcro and Hooks is the rough side. No German go Valcro.

I would get an internal one for my beach if they werent £450 :eek:
HI! is it a good one for winter? i live in switzerland and temperature can go down at -25, im looking to buy a good one for really cold situations! any suggestions?

HI! is it a good one for winter? i live in switzerland and temperature can go down at -25, im looking to buy a good one for really cold situations! any suggestions?
No, we had one on the old van and it didn't stand up to camping in the Scottish winter, I suggest sleeping downstairs, that's what we will do in Sweden.

To be frank, on a £40-50k campervan I think the roof canvas should be made of a more thermal, breathable and weather resistant material in the first place ;)
Absolutely - it seems bizarre that it's not actually fit for purpose! By the way, £40-50k? I wish! Mine was £62k with discount and before the 4% price increase in May!

Isotop forever, damn complicated to mount but excellent. My lady is very happy, so I sleep over and I sleep under ihihih .....

+1 for the Brandrup Iso top, I would say it's possibly the best accessory we have purchased.

I would also think it is even more essential in the T6 with the transparent roof canvas.

Based on all the positive posts, I've just ordered the Brandrup Iso-Top. Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their experience of it.

Looks like the Iso top is on it's own now Comfortz have discontinued their version.

Based on all the positive posts, I've just ordered the Brandrup Iso-Top. Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their experience of it.
The velcro backing glue is recommended to be applied above 18degrees. I'd suggest putting the heater on low for an hour or so before fitting and a few hours after at a higher setting. Unless the promised Indian summer comes.

Quite strenuous work but well worth it.

The velcro backing glue is recommended to be applied above 18degrees. I'd suggest putting the heater on low for an hour or so before fitting and a few hours after at a higher setting. Unless the promised Indian summer comes.

Quite strenuous work but well worth it.
Many thanks. Good suggestion. No chance of 18C in September in Scotland! :)

Many thanks. Good suggestion. No chance of 18C in September in Scotland! :)
You could always get your First Minister to come and give you a Party Political sermon. Second thoughts maybe too much hot air.;)

You could always get your First Minister to come and give you a Party Political sermon. Second thoughts maybe too much hot air.;)
I don't want to overheat it... ;)

An update on our Brandrup ISO Top. While in use in France during the summer the velcro on the ISO Top is detaching from the material. The velcro fitted to the van has stayed intact. I'm not very happy but as we purchased from Holland and we're in UK it's a pain to return etc.

Even the same defect has occurred to me at the front in the corners, even though I have fitted all of it following strictly the cursed instructions ..... but it did not get off much, just a few inches, in those parts the canvas and ' mostly "in shooting" ...... for the rest, super ..