Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are my leisure batteries dead?

Great many thanks
If both batteries are of the same age and one is dead or dying the other will follow soon. If a poor condition battery is paired with a new battery it could impair the life of the new battery so it's good practise to replace both batteries especially as battery technology has changed significantly over the years.
For technical details have a read of this ...

Great many thanks.

I think I’ll just bite the bullet, get a couple of LA80s and get my father in law to help me fit them. He’s good at that sort of thing so will save the money on fitting. Thanks for all the help.

I think I’ll just bite the bullet, get a couple of LA80s and get my father in law to help me fit them. He’s good at that sort of thing so will save the money on fitting. Thanks for all the help.
(Post-lockdown obviously!)

One tip to make it easier. Use something like a paint scraper to slide the rear battery over the lip.

Is there a ´How to ´posted up on here
i.e. which one to disconnect and re-connect first?

Or do you just whip everything off and isolate them ( rubber glove it ) and
then connect them.?

then connect them.?
That’s what I did. I also put an old strap around the rear battery to make it easier getting out if there is a next time.

then connect them.?

I did email the Cali club this week to ask if they would apply to Tanya for a club member discount but not heard back from them yet. Tanya were open for a discussion :)

@Hotel California good news, shame it's not 10% like the Caravan and Motorhome Club member discount ;)
Sorry if I don’t quite agree with that. So many folk have no income at all at the moment... be thankful you can pay 100%, and grateful if you get a discount. And please use the remainder for charity.
Just my opinion. Sorry.

Sorry if I don’t quite agree with that. So many folk have no income at all at the moment... be thankful you can pay 100%, and grateful if you get a discount. And please use the remainder for charity.
Just my opinion. Sorry.
Those companies offering discounts will often increase their profits from the increased number of sales so it can benefit everyone. Agreed, many of us are in a very fortunate position of being retired or in a job with enough income to afford our luxuries and I hope many of us can donate to worthy causes every year.

Hi all,

Would appreciate some follow up help on this. Just took my Cali to a guy for a quote for a couple of leisure batteries to replace my knackered ones. He was surprised at what I currently have as the part number came up as a stop/start battery not leisure. I bought second hand, is there a chance the batteries have been replaced for incorrect ones? Or are these the originals and this is just what is put in from new? They certainly don’t look like LA80s. Want to make sure I haven’t been ripped off as will address it with seller rather than fork out myself if the batteries are incorrect.

I am not very up on batteries so advice appreciated.

Thanks.

2AD876A5-D1D9-4FE8-A2B5-17D5A37315C3.jpeg

518780AD-3ADB-4FA1-A269-09E5601C2FF5.jpeg

Hi all,

Would appreciate some follow up help on this. Just took my Cali to a guy for a quote for a couple of leisure batteries to replace my knackered ones. He was surprised at what I currently have as the part number came up as a stop/start battery not leisure. I bought second hand, is there a chance the batteries have been replaced for incorrect ones? Or are these the originals and this is just what is put in from new? They certainly don’t look like LA80s. Want to make sure I haven’t been ripped off as will address it with seller rather than fork out myself if the batteries are incorrect.

I am not very up on batteries so advice appreciated.

Thanks.

View attachment 77113

View attachment 77114
This is my leisure battery. Only one as I have a Beach.

IMG_20170913_102919.jpg

Mine in my beach I think is a 68ah AGM (2015) but I understand with the right brand you can squeeze an 82ah underneath there.

Mine is the original from VW and is also an AGM stop start technically.

Looks to be the same one as I had in my 2013 Beach. Manufacture date will be on the battery somewhere.

Replaced mine with LA80.

(Sold the old one to our tree surgeon/ log bloke for £30. He uses it as a back up to jump start his tractor in the winter)

Ok great. So sounds like they aren’t an issue, however the LA80 is a better replacement to rather than replacing like for like?

Ok great. So sounds like they aren’t an issue, however the LA80 is a better replacement to rather than replacing like for like?
Yes, LA80 are usually on offer on eBay (Tanya batteries). If is not on offer, put it in your basket and you might get a offer code a few days later (that’s what happened to me, but might have been coincidence!)

Reactions: KBR
Just before I pull the trigger on a couple of LA80s on ebay… Tayna are out of stock but suggest these as an alternative. Same size and are also a bit cheaper. Any reason this is a bad idea or shall I save a few quid?

thanks!

Personally I would wait and get the LA80's as they are a quality battery. If you call Tayna they'll advise stock date and you can get 5% off with the VWCC discount.

Just before I pull the trigger on a couple of LA80s on ebay… Tayna are out of stock but suggest these as an alternative. Same size and are also a bit cheaper. Any reason this is a bad idea or shall I save a few quid?

thanks!
A little bit more expensive but in stock.

Completed the swap out today with LA80s. Under 2 hours so not too tricky. The end of the breather pipe on the rear battery had snapped so had to fashion a new end but seems to fit well.

Took the opportunity to test the 12v sockets whilst leisure batteries were disconnected. It seems they all run off the leisure batteries apart from the one in the cup holder and the one behind the passenger seat by the sink. Strange as I thought it would be an obvious front/rear split but you learn something every day.

On hookup now, happy days. Thanks for all the advice on this.

Completed the swap out today with LA80s. Under 2 hours so not too tricky. The end of the breather pipe on the rear battery had snapped so had to fashion a new end but seems to fit well.

Took the opportunity to test the 12v sockets whilst leisure batteries were disconnected. It seems they all run off the leisure batteries apart from the one in the cup holder and the one behind the passenger seat by the sink. Strange as I thought it would be an obvious front/rear split but you learn something every day.

On hookup now, happy days. Thanks for all the advice on this.
Another miswired California. The Kitchen 12v socket should be wired to the Leisure Batteries.

Put the black lead in the COM socket and the red lead in the VohmmA socket then turn the dial to the red buzzer symbol. If you touch the ends of the leads together you should hear it buzz confirming continuity.
Go the the rear battery and place one lead on the bottom of the cube fuse on the + terminal and place the other lead on the top of the cube fuse, the multimeter should buzz if the fuse is OK, if not you need to replace it. Think you can buy it from the Cali Shop.
Let us all know how it goes.

View attachment 72437
Is it possible that using this method you could get continuity buzzer sounding in reverse across the circuit ? Hence gives a false read ? If that's the case then the fuse needs disconnecting to check it. Or test for voltages at the points arrowed. 2 different voltages would indicate a blown fuse.