Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

I think the price of diesel/petrol vehicles can only go South. It's only a matter of time before ice vehicle road tax increases and the price of diesel and petrol follows. At some stage we all have to get on board with climate change. I certainly will not buy another vehicle that is not electric ( I am considering self converting an electric van, it won't be as sophisticated as the VW but then again it won't cost as much either!).
VED coming into force next year for EVs including the £40k premium tax for new EVs (odd that hasn't gone up by inflation).... so you will be paying £590 VED on the ID Buzz for 25/26 year

I'm actually thinking the other way. Buy a £35 VED car from the pre 2017 period

For anyone over 60, I don't think this is going to be a concern in our lifetime. Uptake of BEV's in Europe is pitiful. Charging infrastructure is equally behind the curve. Diesel and petrol vehicles will be available new until 2035 and this will possibly get pushed further out.
Disagree

Manufacturers are being forced down the route of EV by punitive legislation.
They must meet 22% this year of total vehicles produced as EV. By 2030, the figure is 80%.
If targets are missed, the manufacturer faces fines of £15000 per unit.

I know Aston don’t give a monkeys .
Their cars will increase in value by £15000.
But £15000 on the price of a Ford Focus…???
Yep, the EV are coming, wether you want them or not.

I think the price of diesel/petrol vehicles can only go South. It's only a matter of time before ice vehicle road tax increases and the price of diesel and petrol follows. At some stage we all have to get on board with climate change. I certainly will not buy another vehicle that is not electric ( I am considering self converting an electric van, it won't be as sophisticated as the VW but then again it won't cost as much either!).
Lot of legal requirements with DVLA re-registration included.
Another factor may make it not worthwhile is that the vehicle cannot exceed the original VIN Plate Grosse weight. So saying you can have a T2 converted but range and cost?

Probably by the decade end kits will be readily available.

VED coming into force next year for EVs including the £40k premium tax for new EVs (odd that hasn't gone up by inflation).... so you will be paying £590 VED on the ID Buzz for 25/26 year

Didn't know that! Does that only apply to newly registered EV's or will existing EV's have to pay the same levels of road tax?

EVs from 2017 to pre April 2025 will pay the standard VED rate (i.e as cars under the 40k cost).

EVs under the 40k the same / EVs post April 2025 over 40k will pay the standard rate + premium rate for 5years after the first year..... £10 cheaper than an ICE car >40k

Recently got a 2016 Honda Jazz 1.3 ex as a runabout £35 road tax cheap to insure and 60mpg.
Cheap motoring and it will still sit at 70 on the motorway.

A Toyota Aygo pre April 2017 is a good choice zero tax car, as is a smart for two pre April 2017.

Recently got a 2016 Honda Jazz 1.3 ex as a runabout £35 road tax cheap to insure and 60mpg.
I got an 18 year old Saab 2.3l petrol auto.
Paid £1300.
12m MOT.
£250 business insurance.
£700 tax.
Will cost me £2k a year to fuel it for 10k miles p.a.
So for 12m motoring
£4250
Into 12 months. £354 a month.
I could have saved £100 a month by having a Jazz.
But the torque makes me smile :)
And I’ll be able to sell it for £2k easily.
So that works out at £187 a month.

To me buying an older car is unpredictability, yes you could save money on the road tax but any manner of things could go wrong with it which could wipe out any savings.

To me buying an older car is unpredictability, yes you could save money on the road tax but any manner of things could go wrong with it which could wipe out any savings.
Very true, unless you can see evidence of all the new parts the previous owner had installed.
I have, from the previous owner:
New larger TD04 turbo.
Air condensor
Air Con compressor
Brakes, discs, pads, renewed seals.
Steering column and racks pump.
Timing chain adjuster.
stainless steel exhaust.
Intercooler.
He spent around £6k in 5 years.
Need to have an eye on all previous MOT’s and do your research of what can fail at what year.
Think I’ve had a bit of a bargain tbh.
While I wait for the T7 Glamper day van.
Or James cook.
Which ever takes my fancy in October ;)

Little old lady cars 10+ years old, Full dealer service history, spotless, garaged, and usually located 500+ miles away, that is my speciality

Little old lady cars 10+ years old, Full dealer service history, spotless, garaged, and usually located 500+ miles away, that is my speciality
Yep, just not the kind of motor that would suit me and my tool bags :cool:

Yep I have an 2013 XC70 but wanted auto and AWD so I pay £335 a year VED but I just getting tired on all the tax I pay.....

I got an 18 year old Saab 2.3l petrol auto.
Paid £1300.
12m MOT.
£250 business insurance.
£700 tax.
Will cost me £2k a year to fuel it for 10k miles p.a.
So for 12m motoring
£4250
Into 12 months. £354 a month.
I could have saved £100 a month by having a Jazz.
But the torque makes me smile :)
And I’ll be able to sell it for £2k easily.
So that works out at £187 a month.
Beautifully eloquent.

Disagree

Manufacturers are being forced down the route of EV by punitive legislation.
They must meet 22% this year of total vehicles produced as EV. By 2030, the figure is 80%.
If targets are missed, the manufacturer faces fines of £15000 per unit.
Thats a UK thing. The EU is not so draconian, forcing EV's down consumer throats and penalising manufacturers for not meeting quotas.

I think it from the EU which we are aligned with

The European Union and U.K. decreed that EV sales shall reach about 80% of all new sedan and SUV sales by 2030, and 100% by 2035. These targets are not just tokens. There are big penalties for manufacturers that fail to reach the targets. In the U.K., there is a penalty of £15,000 ($19,000) for every ICE sold above the target.

I think it from the EU which we are aligned with
In which case the EU is failing miserably. EV sales in Germany are down 29%. If Govs follow through and quotas are actually imposed, this will be very bad news for the EU automotive industry.

Agree....its all falling apart. No incentive anymore in the UK apart from a business use due to the low BIK. As someone who like EVs and has had 3 hybrids, 1 hybrid and 1 EV for work.....I just cant see me buying another for either personal or business.

Dont get me wrong. I would, but not at 80k today, 20k in 3years. 60k for 30kmiles = £2 a mile

There’s a nice Porsche Panama , was £150k new.
2 years old and only £75k
Now that’s depreciation appreciation !

In which case the EU is failing miserably. EV sales in Germany are down 29%. If Govs follow through and quotas are actually imposed, this will be very bad news for the EU automotive industry.
The EU can put all the legislation they want. If people don't buy EVs because they are crap in many ways, EVs won't be sold. Have a look how many people have been layed off from the car industry due to EV switch...
They can put quotas for EVs at 100% and they'll go 100% bankrupt. Market!

Back