Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

That's a very rare engine so not really representative.
Most IC vehicles that are written off due to body damage still have major components such as the engine that are able to be re-used.
Anything more than a parking bump in a EV & the battery is scrap.

No idea on Porsche engines I'm afraid. that one just happened to pop up....

Good price on s/h batteries though.......... paid more for my home storage batteries

Hi - starting to look at T6 California Ocean options - the first model from 2016-2019.

Interested to read the values above quoted as £42-48k but seeing some early ones advertised at under £40k now on Auro Trader.

After putting some of the plates on WBAC the offered values seem very low - between £30-33k for the 2016-2019 models I have entered. High miles (70-80k) seems to have quite a big impact on values - is that the lived experience?

Are manuals less sought after? That may not bother us. I was surprised to see cruise control seems to be an option - that would be quite important to have I think. Ocean spec seems pretty complete anyway, standard heated seat, standard aux heater, most seem to have awning and bike rack. Looking at the original price list there seemed to be an awning rail that is standard with the awning itself a cost option? Any other key options to look out for?

Grateful for any advice/thoughts on current market.

Hi - starting to look at T6 California Ocean options - the first model from 2016-2019.

Interested to read the values above quoted as £42-48k but seeing some early ones advertised at under £40k now on Auro Trader.

After putting some of the plates on WBAC the offered values seem very low - between £30-33k for the 2016-2019 models I have entered. High miles (70-80k) seems to have quite a big impact on values - is that the lived experience?

Are manuals less sought after? That may not bother us. I was surprised to see cruise control seems to be an option - that would be quite important to have I think. Ocean spec seems pretty complete anyway, standard heated seat, standard aux heater, most seem to have awning and bike rack. Looking at the original price list there seemed to be an awning rail that is standard with the awning itself a cost option? Any other key options to look out for?

Only my opinion, WBAC always seem to low ball by about 10k. Mileage above 70k will knock the price as within a year or so you will hit the psychological 100k. Manuals seem less popular these days as DSG is very good, as is the adaptive cruise control, so your points seem about right. 180 vs 140 (150 vs 204) bhp will also play a part, with some debate over the pros/cons of each, but that’s another story. 4motions still command a premium. Time of year has some effect, with higher prices in spring, earl summer.

Last edited:
Why?

Salvaged cars are sold on for parts and the battery doesn't know it salvaged. Plug it and check the codes / condition.
Well yeah, I'm sure the highly trained technicians at the scrap yard are perfectly qualified to remove an EV battery without damage. Imagine the consequences of an EV fire in an underground car park. There's a reason insurance companies are totalling BEV's with only minor dings to the outer battery casing.

You buy the whole car!

No cars are being written off due to the cost of parts, time to obtain those parts, unknowns, and charges over that period of waiting. Hire cars being a big cost

Copart currently has 107 electric cars / 2777 petrol cars / 3453 diesel cars.

Most expensive on the books at the moment.....written off (Cat N)

or this Range Rover...written off at 24k (Cat N)

Only my opinion, WBAC always seem to low ball by about 10k. Mileage above 70k will knock the price as within a year or so you will hit the psychological 100k. Manuals seem less popular these days as DSG is very good, as is the adaptive cruise control, so your points seem about right. 180 vs 140 (150 vs 204) bhp will also play a part, with some debate over the pros/cons of each, but that’s another story. 4motions still command a premium. Time of year has some effect, with higher prices in spring, earl summer.
In the past (on other more usual cars) it has seemed like WBAC offer around 10% below a usual trade in - which is perhaps another 5% off a private sale. They usually get closer to that 10% after a haggle.

I've worked out what the awning rail in the options list is - just the rail like a roof rack rail that you can mount an (eg) Fiamma F45 too. The £5-600 option is the actual awning itself. Are the factory ones Fiammas?

In the past (on other more usual cars) it has seemed like WBAC offer around 10% below a usual trade in - which is perhaps another 5% off a private sale. They usually get closer to that 10% after a haggle.

I've worked out what the awning rail in the options list is - just the rail like a roof rack rail that you can mount an (eg) Fiamma F45 too. The £5-600 option is the actual awning itself. Are the factory ones Fiammas?
Most Cali comes with Thule Omnistor wind out awning as standard.

Mileage affects California values, whist some owners use it as their everyday car it seems a lot have it as second car, or just for camping.

This means there’s more low mileage examples than you’d find with a normal car.

Manuals are less desirable in my opinion, not so much with the T5 /T5.1 but fine the T6 is actually quite rare that anyone ordered a manual.

I’ve owned both and I would never go back to a manual California personally, the DSG is excellent and suits the driving style of a camper in my opinion.

The lower prices you mention on Autotrader I think are ex rental ones, can be fine but does put people off.

Colour and spec affect the value of the T6’s too there was a huge number of options to choose from.

The T6.1 came very well spec’ed so less options available, or necessary.

California values are a bit of a hard one to track, so many variables.

I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on WBAC values personally.

Mileage affects California values, whist some owners use it as their everyday car it seems a lot have it as second car, or just for camping.

This means there’s more low mileage examples than you’d find with a normal car.

Manuals are less desirable in my opinion, not so much with the T5 /T5.1 but fine the T6 is actually quite rare that anyone ordered a manual.

I’ve owned both and I would never go back to a manual California personally, the DSG is excellent and suits the driving style of a camper in my opinion.

The lower prices you mention on Autotrader I think are ex rental ones, can be fine but does put people off.

Colour and spec affect the value of the T6’s too there was a huge number of options to choose from.

The T6.1 came very well spec’ed so less options available, or necessary.

California values are a bit of a hard one to track, so many variables.

I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on WBAC values personally.
Well summarised. For clarity, I think the preference for manual is just with the prefacelift T5 (ie upto 2009) where the auto gearbox was a Tiptronic rather than a twin clutch DSG. That early auto although lovely to drive wasn't very efficient and there have been some very expensive rebuilds mentioned here. The DSG seems remarkably strong and efficient.
I've always figured that Cali's being so heavy need a fair bit of gear shifting Vs a regular car so suit an auto.

I find the 4Mo and DSG drivetrain, powered by the 204PS motor almost flawless. The only time it seems lacking is pulling up to a roundabout and then accelerating away quickly. The programming is a little lackadaisical. A retune of the ECU should fix that.

Back