Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are prices due to crash?

EVs are overpriced. The second hand market shows that.

100% correct.
The car industry got greedy. They only have themselves to blame.
German manufacturers need to pause and reflect and re-start the road map to EV ownership…

The Taycan depreciation is even worse!

Two year old Porsche Taycan with 30k miles £43k…
Very tempting, unfortunately I don’t trust Porsche build quality on anything from the last 6/7 years. Not just Porsche either, any VAG unit…..

What is it about an EV that makes so much more expensive than the equivilent IC vehicle. Is it just the battery?

It supposed to be. But then Volvo brings out an EX30 which is considerable cheaper with a similar size battery ......

What is it about an EV that makes so much more expensive than the equivilent IC vehicle. Is it just the battery?

Development, design, raw material costs. Which is why Ford & VW partnered on the EV side. They ‘should’ get cheaper when they start to mass produce / sell more. The dealers also lose a lot of revenue on the servicing as there is very little to go wrong compared with ICE, so they need to recover the lost revenue on the initial sales price. Tesla has no servicing as such, user manual has instructions on how to change the air filter, software updates are done over the air, recalls are advised / booked on an app. Brakes are not really used as the engine does most of the braking. We got 25k from the rear tyres, 31k front (awd). So running costs are very low.

The good thing about EV’s is that the brand becomes insignificant as the drive on most similar as its just an electric motor with no over complicated twin turbos etc. So choice more comes down to shape / range….so don’t need to spend a fortune.

Last edited:
Just don’t be involved in a crash, everything suggests that many parts are on back order and then insurance companies write them off, would not want the renewal quote after that!!!!

Just don’t be involved in a crash, everything suggests that many parts are on back order and then insurance companies write them off, would not want the renewal quote after that!!!!
This. Even a ding to the battery casing is considered a write off as over half the value is the battery. Insurance premiums are only going to increase as the proportion of EV's increase.

The EU can put all the legislation they want. If people don't buy EVs because they are crap in many ways, EVs won't be sold. Have a look how many people have been layed off from the car industry due to EV switch...
They can put quotas for EVs at 100% and they'll go 100% bankrupt. Market!
EVs aren’t crap though, they’re really quite good. The new pricing is just prohibitive (but not for business users so a fair few about and filling the secondhand market), but secondhand demand is low because those buyers are not business salary sacrifice users - they’re private buyers. That means secondhand EVs end up side by side with VW Golf’s etc. So pure economics come in to play and demand is very low due to those factors as clearly a Golf will cost a lot less. That makes EV depreciation massive at the moment as secondhand EVs need to compete with much less expensive ICE cars. Add to that people’s reticence to make the leap from ICE to EV due to fear of change and the investment in chargers, insurance costs etc. It’s really not surprising that EVs are where they are at the moment. That’s having a knock on effect of making business lease costs higher now (because they’re priced based on expected depreciation, which is now massive, plus insurance costs etc). Then add in that BIK rates are going up - they’re gradually becoming less attractive to business users too. Overall it’s not good news for EVs. But like I said, they’re actually great cars! Given the choice we’d never have an ICE car again (if it didn’t come down to cost).

Last edited:
! Given the choice we’d never have an ICE car again (if it didn’t come down to cost).
I assume you can charge at home at a reduced tariff. Unless this is an option EV ownership is going to be expensive and an inconvenience, no matter how good the vehicles are to drive.

I assume you can charge at home at a reduced tariff. Unless this is an option EV ownership is going to be expensive and an inconvenience, no matter how good the vehicles are to drive.
Yes absolutely, it’s a game changer. Cost is around 2p/mile. Our Cali is about 25p/mile! Wouldn’t be without the Cali though.

Last edited:
The below video on YouTube is worth a watch as to where the uk is on ev sales.
Sorry I haven’t attached the link/ video, beyond my technical expertise. !!! Harrys garage.

IMG_1885.png

‘Luxury’ car tax on EVs isn’t going to help if it goes ahead. VW are also adopting the agency model soon if not already, can’t see how that’s going to help either.
We bought a pre reg ID4 for £32k a couple of months ago, which was cheaper and frankly significantly better than an equivalent new Tiguan. List was >£48k, so would have come with a massive road tax bill compared to the Tiguan from next Apr which may have shifted the equation. GFV was higher as well so protected from unlimited depreciation.
It’s the second EV in the stable, just the Cali now with ICE - we are firmly converts. It’s a shame many people just look at and regurgitate the media rhetoric rather than looking at how it could work for them.
I do think the government needs a significant strategic rethink though if EVs are to become the norm.

‘Luxury’ car tax on EVs isn’t going to help if it goes ahead. VW are also adopting the agency model soon if not already, can’t see how that’s going to help either.
We bought a pre reg ID4 for £32k a couple of months ago, which was cheaper and frankly significantly better than an equivalent new Tiguan. List was >£48k, so would have come with a massive road tax bill compared to the Tiguan from next Apr which may have shifted the equation. GFV was higher as well so protected from unlimited depreciation.
It’s the second EV in the stable, just the Cali now with ICE - we are firmly converts. It’s a shame many people just look at and regurgitate the media rhetoric rather than looking at how it could work for them.
I do think the government needs a significant strategic rethink though if EVs are to become the norm.

I’m with you here.
My Sprinter van is the last Derv I’ll buy.
I will probably pick up a two year old I5 touring, in year 2025 to replace the diesel 335d.

There’s a nice Porsche Panama , was £150k new.
2 years old and only £75k
Now that’s depreciation appreciation !
Reviews always quote a % depreciation figure over 3 years which wasn't too bad with the previous norm of 52% on a £26K new car but now that new are mostly over £50K and the 52% still applying it's daunting.

I’m with you here.
My Sprinter van is the last Derv I’ll buy.
I will probably pick up a two year old I5 touring, in year 2025 to replace the diesel 335d.
So how much do you reckon a two year old i5 will be in 2025?

Yes absolutely, it’s a game changer. Cost is around 2p/mile. Our Cali is about 25p/mile! Wouldn’t be without the Cali though.
When I first got into company EV ownership the energy rate at services was about 30p per kw, its now double that or more. Fossil fuels however have not increased at the pump anywhere near as much in the same time. Think this also needs to be addressed if nations are serious about increasing EV sales as not everyone can charge at home or has low enough consumption to avoid using public charging stations.

Engines are not cheap. Here is a used one for you

That's a very rare engine so not really representative.
Most IC vehicles that are written off due to body damage still have major components such as the engine that are able to be re-used.
Anything more than a parking bump in a EV & the battery is scrap.

When I first got into company EV ownership the energy rate at services was about 30p per kw, its now double that or more. Fossil fuels however have not increased at the pump anywhere near as much in the same time. Think this also needs to be addressed if nations are serious about increasing EV sales as not everyone can charge at home or has low enough consumption to avoid using public charging stations.
Very true. Though your mileage would have to be very high to rely on public chargers if you have a home charger. We can easily get 20-30k miles of charge from our home charger each year without even thinking about it. It provides plenty of charge miles.

Back