Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

2 easy and cheap ways to prevent Cali theft, even if the thief has the keys!

The anti tilt alarm and the movement sensor alarm didn't stop a friends Honda Civic R being loaded onto a low loader and being taken away, in Birmingham. People watching the theft were told he had lost his keys.

John

...terrible. So does leaving her on full lock prevent this?

I think it would be a little more difficult to roll the vehicle up a ramp or use a winch you would have to break the steering lock and straighten the front wheels without the help of any power steering, or lift up the front when winching. So every little bit helps.

A Cali (in my op) is unlikely to be swiped by an oportunist thief, more likely pros stealing to order.
Yes, and they will read this forum and look for GPS data on any photos that are posted to locate their target so beware of this and do not give away your precise location. :eek:

In terms of operating convenience you can't beat the Autowatch Keyguard. This uses a remote fob with a keypad to enter a pin code.
As stated earlier, if it's a pain to operate you are unlikely to use it all the time.
The Keyguard is auto arming too.
With the padlock ones, where do you keep the key?

Looks good. Another way to spoil someone's day.
Does it affect the warranty?
All of these techniques, whether padlock, key fob, or bear lock are all extra levels of surprise for a key thief, with no way of knowing which one is waiting for them.
Hopefully they will be reading all about it here, and learning that they will fail sooner than later, and leave some evidence behind.
If everyone did one of these things, we would all sleep happier.
This club should set up an enhanced security sticker in multi language, and encourage extra measures.

I very cheap and simple way I have used is to install a small hidden switch within reach or use one of the unused switch spaces on the dash and use it to by pass / isolate either the brake light or clutch switch (depending on manual or DSG) as you need to push the brake or clutch to start the engine. I prefer to use a momentary switch that you have to push every time so you can't forget to set it. Anyone with keys could jump in but it would not start without pushing the "special switch" at the same time as turning key. Could also fit a key operated switch if required.

This would be my answer to. I couldn't be bothered to lock and unlock a padlock down at the footwell, especially as my Cali is a daily driver. Good idea though if you leave your Cali parked up for long periods.

I used to have a kill switch on an old Peugeot 309gti. Worked great.

I usually leave my Cali open, but don't have anything valuable inside. Saves some twerp damaging her getting into it. If they decide to let themselves in the only thing they will find is some baby wipes and extra virgin olive oil. There welcome to it if they are that desperate:talktothehand

^^^^^
That sounds a bit wrong :D:headbang:embarrased

Lots of great ideas but as most vehicles are now stolen with the keys surely the most effective way to prevent theft is to always put the keys in a convenient but well hidden place. It's keys on the hallway table that makes for easy pickings.

Solenoid 12volt tap on the fuel line ,switch under the dash or seat??????
They would not get far, just don't forget to switch it on/off when you want to drive it

Hiding the keys is good, obviously, as long as you lock your bedroom door:eek:

There'e also word on the street that if you get the VIN number, (or not) you can make a key and program it if you have the inside knowledge. Is that true?

The magic switch is great, but how do you do that, without messing up your electrics or warranty?

The ideal scenario is that no one tries to break into your house in the first place.
Physical visible deterrents are good, and might put someone off from even trying for keys.
If a "pro" finds your keys AND then needs to find a switch, or a lock, they are going to get cross/stressed, and your olive oil and baby wipes is the least of your worries:Grin

You want something that says this on the outside, in order to move on the majority of thieves without further ado.

Has anyone got experience of failed attempts to steal their vehicle? What can we learn from these?

Having a visible lock doesn't tell you how many times it has "worked" to prevent theft !

We've already covered that up with a piece of card, haven't we?

We haven't??...........:headbang

You need the VIN number, key database, key blank and cutter and then a programming tool and software to get a working key that will open the door and start the engine. If you also use a reputable Dealer or key supplier you will also need the V5. Hiding the VIN will not help because the Reg Nos can give that information.
To be absolutely honest there is no way you would be able to stop a Professional who wanted your vehicle without going to extraordinary lengths which would take away all spontaneity of using it. Obviously if you only use it for summer holidays then you can go to greater lengths and 1 or 2 wheel clamps would stop it being removed easily.
For the opportunistic thief simple methods will suffice and ultimately good Insurance.
Don't forget, if you try too hard to foil the scumbag then they may take it out on the vehicle and cause a lot of damage, which, if you had not informed the Insurance Company of you anti-theft measures could hold you responsible for the damage.

Why is everyone on this post so paranoid about a vehicle being stolen, we have parked ours in some grim areas of european towns and cities sometimes by accident unlocked. We have never had anyone try to steal it, if they did it is insured, may be inconvenient but you are alive.

John

You need the VIN number, key database, key blank and cutter and then a programming tool and software to get a working key that will open the door and start the engine. If you also use a reputable Dealer or key supplier you will also need the V5. Hiding the VIN will not help because the Reg Nos can give that information.

That's the reason I haven't updated my vehicle details with VW when I put my personal plate on :)

Nice one WelshGas, very true indeed.
I'm sure insurance would rather pay for some damage than a total, but it's very interesting.
We get these owners coming on saying that their Cali has been stolen, and all we can do is say how sorry we are. It reminds me of the battle between the meerkats and the eagles - when they come back out of their holes, one of their mates has gone missing. It's called safety in numbers. .....

I have mine covered by CCTV from y-cam Homemonitor. Have caught a few people trying the doors over the years.

Nice ideas especially when away on holiday without Cali

That's the reason I haven't updated my vehicle details with VW when I put my personal plate on :)
I wasn't referring to VW.
Check your V5. Reg Nos , VIN , Address, and who has access to this data?

Probably one of the best ways to recover your stolen California is by using a tracker. obviously do everything you can to prevent someone nicking it but some thieves can be very determined. you can wire in a tracker so it’s almost impossible to find. And they are really cheap now compared with a few years ago....

Method 2 , the pedal thing looks good stuff .
The seat thing is way to much hassle to put up , you would do this a few times and then just won't bother anymore ....my guess....
For long time parking it would work

Good thinking rookeryview....:thumb
But short park ups are also dangerous , specialy on holliday trips.
I got a Bearlock on my DSG gearbox and lock it every time i leave the verhicle , even when going in the supermarket....did cost me 500 euro but so easy to use and under normal conditions this is a no go for thieves....

Can't see one sticking his head under the steeringwheel with a padlock every time they get out of the verhicle .
A Bearlock takes 2 seconds sitting behind the steeringwheel....contact off ....keys out ...reach under gearstick......Bearlock on.....one move .

I will echo the Bearlock here! So easy to use and combined with another independent system, I finally can sleep at night ✌