Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auto gearbox

glen

glen

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi. When in drive 1D. Through to 7D. And then it shows just D without numbers. ? Jim they cana take anymore it’s going to blow is D warp speed

Agreed. Love the dsg box having always driven manuals. Also coast kicks in quite a bit and can’t understand why anyone should disable it.

Agreed. Love the dsg box having always driven manuals. Also coast kicks in quite a bit and can’t understand why anyone should disable it.

I personally either change to S mode or disable Coast mode via M.F.D. if and when needing engine braking for bends and hills on country roads and lanes. It doesn't run away downhill and feels safer in corners.
In all other conditions the Coast mode is brilliant, free m.p.g.
If in coast mode a light dab of the brakes enables geared drive again. I know, I know!
Rearrange the following into a well known etc. etc. Eggs, Grandmother, Suck and Teach.

No prizes.

I personally either change to S mode or disable Coast mode via M.F.D. if and when needing engine braking for bends and hills on country roads and lanes. It doesn't run away downhill and feels safer in corners.
In all other conditions the Coast mode is brilliant, free m.p.g.
If in coast mode a light dab of the brakes enables geared drive again. I know, I know!
Rearrange the following into a well known etc. etc. Eggs, Grandmother, Suck and Teach.

No prizes.
Hi Tell me more MFD ?

Hi Tell me more MFD ?
Multi Function Display, Glen. That display between the tacho and speedo.
It's scrolled thru' using steering wheel buttons or the end of the right hand stalk in my case.
Fuel consumption, distances and what phone you have connected etc.
There is a 'settings' section which will offer various options of which one is to turn the coast function on or off as desired. If moving it will tell you 'settings only available when stationary'.

Why one needs to be impersonating a propelling pencil, fountain pen and a writing pad is beyond me but thats the M.F.D. for you.
:cheers

Multi Function Display, Glen. That display between the tacho and speedo.
It's scrolled thru' using steering wheel buttons or the end of the right hand stalk in my case.
Fuel consumption, distances and what phone you have connected etc.
There is a 'settings' section which will offer various options of which one is to turn the coast function on or off as desired. If moving it will tell you 'settings only available when stationary'.

Why one needs to be impersonating a propelling pencil, fountain pen and a writing pad is beyond me but thats the M.F.D. for you.
:cheers
Thanks for that Eddie I found that very helpful. I get criticised for not reading the manual from one or two. Its not that I don’t read manual. Just trying to be social. Retirement and widowed its nice to chat. Thanks again

Thanks for that Eddie I found that very helpful. I get criticised for not reading the manual from one or two. Its not that I don’t read manual. Just trying to be social. Retirement and widowed its nice to chat. Thanks again
It's good to chat Glen :thumb, might be up your way end of May, hopefully a sunny week like we had in 2014. Merry Christmas.

Hi Tell me more MFD ?

The MFD ..... the driver menu selections on the dashboard. Click through to "settings" and then scroll down to "coast" and you can enable or disable.

I have mine enabled and never go there again as it is just so easy to switch into coast or out of coast on the move.

Edit: Just realised that this has been answered above, but then, it's nice to chat :D

The MFD ..... the driver menu selections on the dashboard. Click through to "settings" and then scroll down to "coast" and you can enable or disable.

I have mine enabled and never go there again as it is just so easy to switch into coast or out of coast on the move.

Edit: Just realised that this has been answered above, but then, it's nice to chat :D
Thank's Jen :)

Is the camper your retirement present to yourself Glen?

Yes it is. I’ve had her two weeks :)

Well congratulations!

Mine also was my retirement present to myself, although bless Albert, he spent as much time taking me to professional events as anything else :shocked

Great retirement present to yourself and some great bits of coast up there in Northumberland for the van. We had a great stay looking out to sea near St Mary's Lighthouse. Plus visited a great beach car park at Alnmouth.

I also leave it set on coasting which works ok for me have fun seeing how far I can go without in a gear

Great retirement present to yourself and some great bits of coast up there in Northumberland for the van. We had a great stay looking out to sea near St Mary's Lighthouse. Plus visited a great beach car park at Alnmouth.

I also leave it set on coasting which works ok for me have fun seeing how far I can go without in a gear
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m very lucky great countryside and a fantastic coast line. Now it’s time to for me to take advantage and I intend to. The Cali is everything and more. :)

I am sorry you were upset , but you weren’t being criticised but asked if you had read the Handbook. If you had answered that query then you would have received information based on your answer.
I am also retired and have better things to do than read Handbooks on behalf of others. I like to and try to help people on this Forum, but not if they are not prepared to do some legwork themselves. The California Handbook is not the best in the world but it does cover the basics and certainly explains What the MFD is, even if it is not very clear on how to use all the functions.
So, by not answering my question I could only presume you hadn’t/ couldn’t be bothered to read it.

I also leave it set on coasting which works ok for me have fun seeing how far I can go without in a gear[/
Lovely area. A bit less wild now and a lot more tarmac. Looking forward to re-visiting soon.
Yes, the coast function is worth
Lovely area.

Last edited:
I am sorry you were upset , but you weren’t being criticised but asked if you had read the Handbook. If you had answered that query then you would have received information based on your answer.
I am also retired and have better things to do than read Handbooks on behalf of others. I like to and try to help people on this Forum, but not if they are not prepared to do some legwork themselves. The California Handbook is not the best in the world but it does cover the basics and certainly explains What the MFD is, even if it is not very clear on how to use all the functions.
So, by not answering my question I could only presume you hadn’t/ couldn’t be bothered to read it.
Hi. Sorry for the rant the hand book. Your doing good work and I appreciate you help. Something I post and it gets moved to the write place it’s all a bit new for me. Glen

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m very lucky great countryside and a fantastic coast line. Now it’s time to for me to take advantage and I intend to. The Cali is everything and more. :)
Ditto!
Whitley Bay, what was the amusement arcade made even more famous by mr brother in arms??

Ah, Spanish City? Didn’t that have a roller coast er, function?