Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning removal

It if it the awning I should be able to make it rattle a bit by tapping it but nothing.

OK so I removed my awning today total time about 20-30m.

After lifting the roof you first you have to remove the two Torx screws that botl the awning to the awning rail brackets. To do this you must wind out the awning to expose the two Torx headed screws. It is NOT possible to remove the awning without doing this first as they bolt the awning to the rail. The Main Awning hangs in the roof brackets so these Torx Screws can be removed without risk of the awning falling off. When the awning has been wound back in it is easy to then lift the whole awning body off the brackets by lifting it upwards, it helps if two people take one end each (but one person can do it). It's then easy to undo the one side and three top Torx bolts/screws that hold each bracket in place. Contrary to previous posts all three roof Torx bolts are identical size/length (At least on on 2017+ models). After removing the Brackets replace the roof Torx screws immediately. You can then remove/slide out the flat nuts x2 in the rail that the two side Torx screws/bolts screw into and secure the Screw into the flats nuts in the bracket for safe keeping. Finally remove the rubber weather strip and give the whole area a clean as the awning retains dirt behind it. Job done. (PS: All as per video I posted earlier in this thread)

20180430_173019.jpg 20180430_173029.jpg 20180430_173036.jpg 20180430_173950.jpg 20180430_175603.jpg

Last edited:
Re above it did not remove the rattle it was evidently not the awning rattling. It appears to be definitely coming from the sliding door even with the removable table removed....:Depressed

Re above it did not remove the rattle it was evidently not the awning rattling. It appears to be definitely coming from the sliding door even with the removable table removed....:Depressed
I think it´s the rear scissor hinge in the roof.

My wife sat in back with ear to door she swears its inside the sliding door. It makes same noise even with Table out of the van.

I had the rattle though I don't have an awning. Experimented with sliding door, it's window, seat belt mounting, etc.
Finally pulled down the door blind a couple of inches and rattle was silenced. After a few tries up and down with the blind it was clear that it was the cause of the rattle.
Now blind is fully up and rattle has not returned.

I think it´s the rear scissor hinge in the roof.
Next thing on the list :
Taking the roof off and driving with your ear aginst the sliding door might resolve the ratlle:Nailbiting
It can be very annoying not to find where the noise comes from.

I had the rattle though I don't have an awning. Experimented with sliding door, it's window, seat belt mounting, etc.
Finally pulled down the door blind a couple of inches and rattle was silenced. After a few tries up and down with the blind it was clear that it was the cause of the rattle.
Now blind is fully up and rattle has not returned.

I suspected the blind and it does rattle if you fiddle with in in up position so yesterday I moved it half way down where it was stiff and no possible rattle but my rattle..... was still there!

Its also worth noting that if you fiddle with the button/catch for the table release that also rattles (Movers up/down) so will be looking at that in more detail...

@Gazellio , there have been others mentiond the sliding door making noises and the rubber pads making sqweeking noises.
Have you looked at those ?

Thanks for the original removal info. Just did this yesterday, along with swapping the wheels over to winter tyres.

It was pretty easy and the only slight moment of concern was freeing up the outside Torx bolts without sheering the heads as these bolts appear to have locking compound on them and they were tight.

The reason we took the awing off is so we can use the local car wash in the winter as our roads are heavily salted and I want to wash it regularly, especially the underbody. They won't allow the Cali with the awning on (it's actually a VW garage). The washer does not have those nasty nylon bristles and we use it often for our Discovery, so it should be fine.

I removed the awning today for the first time. Followed the video and it took about 30 mins. Definitely recommend two people to lift the awning down, it’s heavy.

Surprised at how heavy, but this makes it more worthwhile when it isn’t being used over the winter. Should improve aerodynamics and reduce rattles.

Would recommend, it’s not difficult to do.

I took mine off today too. Looking forward to a quiet winter!
Hopefully I'll manage to refit it without dropping and smashing the end cap this time!

I took mine off today too. Looking forward to a quiet winter!
Hopefully I'll manage to refit it without dropping and smashing the end cap this time!
I've also cracked the front end cap through not standing in the
middle when the weight drops.

I'm gonna remove mine this week sometime
1, don't really need it in winter
2, to clean all of the crap that it harbours.

I took it off for the first time, a few weeks ago. Turned out to be quite easy. I first watched a youtube video (for a T6) that I found on this forum.
I managed to do it in about 30 minutes. Might take 15-20 next time, now I know how to do it. Much to my surprise though, the awning did not fit in the van (T5) :). Tried to slide it under the bench but it was just a bit too long.

Also, I read some people had trouble putting back the rubber strip, having to use washing up liquid. In my case it went back on easily.

I followed the steps of the video but after wending out the awning and removing the 2 bolts, the awning falled. Fortunately we were 2 people and could catch it. Limited damage.

Also, I read some people had trouble putting back the rubber strip, having to use washing up liquid. In my case it went back on easily.
Try a little silicone lubricant that plumbers use and it will glide on! Any little residue won’t harm the make-up of the rubber compound which washing-up liquid might do.