Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning seam

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
The seam in the awning has come unglued for about eight inches on one side of our awning.
I assume it's the heat in France that has made the glue melt.
Temporary fix with duct tape but just wondering if anyone else has had this.
Can anyone recommend any glue to sort it permanently?
The van is under warranty but it would mean a couple of 70 mile round trips and hanging around while they mend it (or fit a new awning cover) so I would prfer to do it myself.

I don't know of any glue that would do a good job. Originally the manufacturer probably used a hot glue for the job. As it is still under warranty, VW will probably just replace the whole assembly. If you attempt a repair and it fails they would refuse all future liability.
Obviously your decision, but I would think the awning is faulty as it should be able to cope with much higher temperatures than you have been experiencing.

Hi Briwy'
The same thing happened to our 2015 cali when we were in France a few months ago.
In order to wind the awning back in we had to glue the edges together as a temporary fix.
We took it back to VW Manchester and they replaced the whole awning with no quibble whatsoever.
Hope you get your awning sorted.
Caliblue

I can't find any suitable glue either so I'm going to take it back to the dealer.
I assume the seam is there because the fabric is only obtainable in one width. Bit odd though as I don't recall seeing seams on the Fiamma awnings we've had in the past.
If they had put the seam the other way in the centre it wouldn't be under tension and wouldn't come apart so easiliy.

This has also happened to us in France. Replacement awning has been ordered by dealer. To be honest this design is rubbish! They lay massive areas of flat roofing, not restricted to a few metres square and hot weld the seams. Swimming pools as well are lined with single ply membranes and they don't fall apart when the sun comes out. Better replace my black gaffer tape with silver, reckon it's going to be a recurring problem!

Yep. Dealer is going to fit a complete new awning. The awning fabric is actually available as a separate item but this is just typical of the "don't mend it, just throw it away and fit a complete new one attittude".
Better for me though as it took them three hours to decide what to do with it so who knows how long to fit a new cover rather than the complete awning.

Yep. Dealer is going to fit a complete new awning. The awning fabric is actually available as a separate item but this is just typical of the "don't mend it, just throw it away and fit a complete new one attittude".
Better for me though as it took them three hours to decide what to do with it so who knows how long to fit a new cover rather than the complete awning.
Did you ask to keep the old awning? I'd be interested in trying to do my own repair with a view to keeping it as a spare when the replacement falls apart outside warranty. I'm sure I can't do a worse job than the original. Ours has only lasted less than 6 months.

Yes i did. No luck I'm afraid as it seems they have to send it back to claim the warranty.
Hope this one fares better.

Can't really blame VW for this as they buy these units in from the manufacturer, ? Omnistor, and so they will have to claim from them.
Why do they have a seam instead of a single piece, or stitch and glue in place?
I wonder if the material can be removed and the seam stitched as well as glued?

Well you could say the same about lots of parts on a VW vehicle. eg EGR valves. Bought in to a price, ie the lowest that meets the minimum specification.

Yes it could be removed and stitched I guess as it appears to be held in a groove and is listed as a spare part by Omnistor.
I guess my old awning will go back, have new fabric fitted and come back out again.

But this Awning is sold by Omnistor? So is the one sold by Omnistor different to the one supplied to VW for fitting?

The seam in the awning has come unglued for about eight inches on one side of our awning.
I assume it's the heat in France that has made the glue melt.
Temporary fix with duct tape but just wondering if anyone else has had this.
Can anyone recommend any glue to sort it permanently?
The van is under warranty but it would mean a couple of 70 mile round trips and hanging around while they mend it (or fit a new awning cover) so I would prfer to do it myself.

Anybody seen that movie on youtube recent of that car melted in the sun in Italy!?

Just back from lovely trip to Italy - nice warm sunny weather but nothing roasting, yet the awning glue has come apart in two places. Surely an awning designed to provide shade should be capable of withstanding a bit of sunshine without falling apart. I have reported this to my dealer and wait to hear - not impressed.IMG_2935.JPG

Just back from lovely trip to Italy - nice warm sunny weather but nothing roasting, yet the awning glue has come apart in two places. Surely an awning designed to provide shade should be capable of withstanding a bit of sunshine without falling apart. I have reported this to my dealer and wait to hear - not impressed.View attachment 15863
Added something on another thread, same happened to us in France recently whilst there for four weeks or so...speaking to dealer and manaufacturer soon now we are back..

image.jpeg image.jpeg

You can see on these pics that the glue has clearly 'melted'...

That is just cheap and nasty and not "Fit for Purpose" so a concerted effort to get these replaced would be the right course of action.

I am sure those could be seam welded for a more permanent fix.

Do any of the people who have this problem use the big strap across the awning as a means to hold it down?
Therefore putting excessive pressure onto the seam.

I am sure those could be seam welded for a more permanent fix.

I have little or no experience in these things, but I am appalled that this is happening to so many people.

If I were to place a guess at the best solution (other than use one piece of fabric) I would say a double stitch is required.

Not fit for purpose.

Do any of the people who have this problem use the big strap across the awning as a means to hold it down?
Therefore putting excessive pressure onto the seam.
Never used a strap, not sure why anyone would?

I don't use the awning much but reading that so many have this problem makes me wonder why VW keeps using this suplier?
Very unusual!

I don't use the awning much but reading that so many have this problem makes me wonder why VW keeps using this suplier?
Very unusual!
On the 3 Forum threads I have found 15 distinct owners with a problem with this seam. I think there have been more owners with other recurring problems who have posted, water taps on T6, mains charger not connected etc:.
Compared to the number of awnings supplied not a high percentage. I have emailed Thule and am awaiting a definitive reply.

From Thule.

Good morning,

Thank you for sending your e-mail.

Unfortunately, I could not answer earlier, due to the holidays.

I have forwarded your e-mail now to our Quality Department.

However, they still have another week of holidays.

I will answer you, as soon as I get an answer of the Quality Department.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Sincères Salutations,

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Customer Service

Frank

Thule nv

Kortrijkstraat 343

BE 8930 Menen, Belgium

Phone +32 56 52 88 99

Fax +32 56 51 02 05

infoRV@thule.com

www.thulegroup.com

cid:image001.png@01D1F7B2.209107B0

Van: paul.woodsford@talktalk.net [mailto:paul.woodsford@talktalk.net]
Verzonden: woensdag 20 juli 2016 18:30
Aan: Inforv
Onderwerp: Motorhome & caravan accessories

First name: Paul
Last name: Woodsford
Language: en
E-mail address: paul.woodsford@talktalk.net

Message: I have the Omnistor 5102 on my Volkswagen California Campervan as supplied by VW. The awning material has a Glued Seam about 10cms from the cassette roller. A number of owners of this vehicle have had the awning split along the seam in hot weather. The awning was replaced by VW - BUT can you explain why there is the seam there instead of one piece of material like your competitor. There are many posts on this problem and we would like to know why this product cannot cope with sunny weather. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/canopy-split.14753/#post-159409