Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning seam

We have just returned from 6 weeks in France including 3 weeks on one site at 33+ degrees with no problem with our awning. It is a Fiamma 45S and is 4 years old. We go there every year and we have never experienced an awning failure, let alone like those in the photographs. These are SUN awnings for goodness sake and I would be back to the dealer like a shot if it was still under warranty.

This has just happened to us in Biarritz in 37.5C heat. I came back from the beach to our camp site (the excellent Pavillon Royal in Bidart, stuffed with Calis of every era and nationality) to find a 75cm split in our awning. The van was only delivered on 28 June... VW Manchester agree it is a warranty issue. I think it's a design fault with a massive stress on a heat welded seam that will come apart in hot sunshine. You don't often get that in Hanover

Latest answer from Thule . They haven't forgotten - yet.

Hi Paul,

Sorry that we have not yet answered you.

As we have this week the “Caravan Salon” in Düsseldorf (Germany), which is the biggest in Europe, everybody has been busy preparing the fair and now almost everybody is attending this fair.

As our Quality Department is back next week, we should be able to answer you next week.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Sincères Salutations,

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Customer Service

Frank

Thule nv

Kortrijkstraat 343

BE 8930 Menen, Belgium

Phone +32 56 52 88 99

Fax +32 56 51 02 05

infoRV@thule.com

www.thulegroup.com

cid:image001.png@01D20472.50E51920

Van: Paul@talktalk [mailto:paul.woodsford@talktalk.net]
Verzonden: woensdag 31 augustus 2016 21:49
Aan: Inforv
Onderwerp: Re: Motorhome & caravan accessories

Hi Frank,

Any news regarding my query as a good number of VW California owners are interested as a number have had failure of the awning seam during hot weather.

Sent from my iPad

Paul Woodsford

Heard back from Thule.

Hi Paul,

The awning we deliver to VW for use on the California range has indeed a seam approx. 10 cm from the cassette roller.

The reason for this is quite simple. The fabric that is used cannot be delivered in a wider version. So, we are obliged to use 2 pieces and to weld them together (we don’t use glue). This process is used on all Thule awnings, where the fabric needs to be extended, as well as on the insertion of the beads. We are conscious however that faults can occur in the welding process (for instance with strong temperature fluctuations in the production environment) and are working with VW to improve on the matter.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Sincères Salutations,

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Customer Service

Frank

Thule nv

Kortrijkstraat 343

BE 8930 Menen, Belgium

Phone +32 56 52 88 99

Fax +32 56 51 02 05

infoRV@thule.com

www.thulegroup.com

cid:image001.png@01D20472.50E51920

Just out of interest with have a Thule Omnistor 5003 on our LWB Caravelle (3m wide and extends 2.5m) which has no such seam.

Our awning being replaced (no quibble form our dealer) under warranty but there does seem to be an underlying quality issue....

We are in the Dordounge and the seam has just come undone. More than half the seam from left to the middle just opened up. Winding the awning back in is not easy when split as far as this, we have ropped up both ends to keep the housing shut.

So we are now without an awning for the remainder of our trip. It is about 30c and we are in the shade I can see this happing again and again if the VW warranty replacement has a seam.

See if you can hold of some duct tape. We managed to bodge ours up when it went. Layer of tape each side.
Cali technician at the dealers told me last week that they have changed it now, no seam anymore.
Dordogne for us too. Must be an awning triangle.

Thanks both. If the replacement is seam free that is great news. Dordounge is amazing,very warm and sunny. We are staying at great site http://www.belombrage.com right on a small river. I hope you have a great trip.

IMG_0987.JPG

Hi Blubus. Was it you I met at Igueldo, San Sebastián ? Sorry didn't officially say hello. Checked my awning but it does not appear to have a seam. I guess VW has implemented a fix on later awnings. Only had my van 3 weeks. Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.

As I understand when I spoke to a few folks it if you order a thule omnistor from thule it generally has no seam, must be a VW thing to have that seam?.Build to price situation?

Hi Blubus. Was it you I met at Igueldo, San Sebastián ? Sorry didn't officially say hello. Checked my awning but it does not appear to have a seam. I guess VW has implemented a fix on later awnings. Only had my van 3 weeks. Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Hi

It was not us, we have not gone beyond Sarlat. Our California will be 1 year old on the 18th, I am glad to hear yours is seam free.

On returning to the UK I contacted SMG Tonbridge who ordered a replacement awning and fitted it under warranty. The replacement contains a seam free awning. The service team at SMG Tonbridge were excellent and really love California's.

09.07.2017.11.56.jpg

Same thing happened to me in Corsica recently. I 'pre-warned' my local VW dealer whilst I was still on the continent but still had to wait 3 weeks from my return to get the warranty claim authorised. And they want the van for 3 days to fit the replacement - the service manager wants to be sure it works OK. 3 days??? On my previous Cali, I used to remove the canopy for the winter and could mange to do that in less than 30 minutes.

This has just happened to us in Austria - one week into a three week holiday and we're now heading down into Croatia with 40+ c temperatures where the awning is essential
I've emailed Breeze VW in Poole to let them know and ask them to order a replacement in so that they can do it under warranty as soon as I get back. Pretty peed off to be honest to find out that this is a known flaw - it's not exactly going to ruin the holiday but it's a pita that I could do without and I'll need to rig up an alternative in the meantime. Breeze we're great when I had my service so hoping they'll be just as great with this!

Just happened to us also, 2 weeks in and in Croatia with about 35 degrees, awning started coming apart at one endofvthr seem. It is quite upsetting as we love our van, however, we seem to have made a temporary fix with false nail glue

Happened to us too in France in July. It wasn't even a very hot day.... The awning will be replaced on warranty (I have 2016 T6), but I have to wait two weeks for delivery of the spare part from Germany. I really hope I get a new awning without the welded seam.

Just happened to me but its opened itself back past the rear door. I have 25% that's still attached but not very well. I've called VW assist as the awning needs to be removed from the vehicle before I can travel

Well mine has just withstood 18 days with temperatures between 33 and 38c without any problems and fully tensioned as it was breezy on occasions.

We all know you've been lucky but that doesn't help those of us who have done nothing wrong and have been unlucky.

Well mine has just withstood 18 days with temperatures between 33 and 38c without any problems and fully tensioned as it was breezy on occasions.
They must have used a different pot of glue on yours!

Yeah but you had egr issues WG if I remember correctly!

I think it must be be dependant on which shift your vehicle was built. Landrovers were easy. Avoid the Friday afternoon build slot.

Just had mine replaced under warranty. New one does t have a seam but rattled like billyo. Going to take it back in next week hopefully and get them to sort it as it's driving me crazy!