Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

Best insurer for a T6 Cali Beach

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Detritus, Jul 1, 2016.

1. jackelliemolly

jackelliemolly VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    Year:
    Went with LV in the end. Covered for uninsured drivers so no excess also lower excess. Taking out a 5 year GAP replacement vehicle cover for £360 and will defer a year. Mind your GAP though as some are not authorised by FSA now so if they fail may not get comp.

2. RoB5urf

RoB5urf Beach with 2-seat bench VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I currently have a multi car policy with Admiral. Yesterday I was quoted £46 for a straight swap from Renault to Cali until my policy expires in October. The only other change is a slight increase in excess.

When I asked how much I would get back if I removed the Renault from the policy I was told £74. For me it seems a no-brainer to stay with Admiral at least until my policy expires. The only downside I can think of is that they only pay out market value so I might take a look at gap insurance.

3. Kevthegas

Kevthegas 2018 204ps, Dsg 4 Motion VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Coast 204 4Motion
    Year:
    I insured with Admiral today, my cali is the 3rd in our fleet. The renewal from A PLAN came through at over £370 as i have only 1 year no claim discount on it, max no claims on 2 other vehicles.
    Admiral came in at £204 and saved me over £140 on my wifes Golf GTD.

4. kp64zl

kp64zl VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I'll be collecting my new Beach next week and wondered what the current 'best' insurers are & ones to avoid please? This thread seems to be the most Beach specific but is a couple of years old.

I will be leaving the van for more than 48hrs unattended on some occasions - so doesn't sound like Comfort is worth approaching.

I plan to use the van for personal, domestic and leisure purposes around UK and Europe.

Currently with Direct Line (but 3rd party only on a car that has virtually no monetary value) & although satisfied with them I've never claimed...the car will go once the van arrives & will want to transfer the full no claims bonus to the van

thanks in advance

5. RoB5urf

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I'm with the Caravan and Motorhome Club for my Beach. For me it was no more expensive than the more mainstream insurers like Admiral and you get new for old cover for the first 24 months (from new). I didn't have to join the C&MHC to get insured.

Of course your circumstances might mean they are less competitive for you but give them a try.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  6. kp64zl

kp64zl VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:

Thanks -- I don't have the van yet (or the V5 more importantly) - is the Beach registered with the DVLA as a "motor caravan"? I thought they aren't

Also, are you allowed to leave the van for more than 48hrs ?

(I've just checked their prices with an online quote and they are cheaper than I'm paying for my 20 year old audi 3rd party only.., but was obliged to write motor caravan)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  7. T6Beach

T6Beach VIP Member

I am with Safeguard as with the club discount it was by far the cheapest and came with unlimited mileage

8. MattBell

MattBell VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    Year:
    I think there’s some small print saying they can withdraw your insurance / not cover you if you don’t maintain membership.

9. RoB5urf

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    My Beach is a Motor Caravan on the V5, yours should be too. I couldn't see anything on my policy about leaving the vehicle unattended, you would need to check.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10. RoB5urf

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    When I took the policy I asked about membership and was told it's not necessary.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

11. MattBell

MattBell VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    Year:
    They told me the opposite, to the extent they want to transfer me through to the membership dept to join immediately

12. kp64zl

kp64zl VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    LV seem to be extremely competitive (£233 per year for my Beach), considerably cheaper than Motorhome and Caravan club, and no worry about whether or not need to be member....does anyone know of any things to watch out with this insurer? (like the silly 48hr rule)

(LV didn't appear on compare the market either - cheapest of them was way more than the above)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. MattBell

MattBell VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T6 Cali On Order
    Year:
    The main things i spotted are insurance with the roof up and cover for possessions up to £1000 if they acknowledge it's a motorhome.

They agreed both of these things with me.

14. kp64zl

kp64zl VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    thanks, that's helpful.