Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free 1yr Insurance with VW and S5 Tracking Device

Grigio Van Grigio

Grigio Van Grigio

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
For all those who have recently bought a Cali and gone for the free VW 1 year insurance, which Thatcham S5 tracking device have you gone for? And how easy was it to organise fitting with the dealer before pickup?

Mine is coming from EuroVans Crawley and they have offered “via a third party supply and fitment a Scorpio S5 Tracker for £495.0 Plus Vat, Plus Subscription from 1-5 years or a lifetime prescription for £599 1 -5 year is between £149 and £409” While I can’t make all of that make sense, it does sound expensive to me once you’ve added on VAT.

I would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers.

I will watch this thread with rapt attention as I too (as you know) have a van on order with EV. My current thinking is to sack off the tracker and go with LV on the basis I've heard trackers *can* affect the electronics and given how much of that there is on a Cali these days . . .

Slightly OT, but any update on your order? I'm going to wait until next week before giving a gentle nudge.

For all those who have recently bought a Cali and gone for the free VW 1 year insurance, which Thatcham S5 tracking device have you gone for? And how easy was it to organise fitting with the dealer before pickup?

Mine is coming from EuroVans Crawley and they have offered “via a third party supply and fitment a Scorpio S5 Tracker for £495.0 Plus Vat, Plus Subscription from 1-5 years or a lifetime prescription for £599 1 -5 year is between £149 and £409” While I can’t make all of that make sense, it does sound expensive to me once you’ve added on VAT.

I would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers.
Check the policy very carefully. I very much doubt if it is a policy specific to Campervans and how they are used.

I will watch this thread with rapt attention as I too (as you know) have a van on order with EV. My current thinking is to sack off the tracker and go with LV on the basis I've heard trackers *can* affect the electronics and given how much of that there is on a Cali these days . . .

Slightly OT, but any update on your order? I'm going to wait until next week before giving a gentle nudge.
This is what I got today:

As per conversation the vehicle is in build the next stage will be when at port awaiting shipment as of today it went into build 2 weeks ago so therefore it is approximately 5-6 weeks when the vehicle will be physically with us,

I can get the tracker EV has offered to fit over £200 less than their quote but I can get insurance through LV at the same price without the need for a tracker and the subscription costs so I might just do that.

Check the policy very carefully. I very much doubt if it is a policy specific to Campervans and how they are used.
I have looked at the details and it’s a standard car based wording. Another reason to go for the LV quote which I believe has camper specific covers (I will check the policy though before proceeding).

Quick update. I contacted the salesman at EV and he said if I wanted to sort a tracking device out myself, I could arrange to have it fitted prior to pick up. They had quoted me £495 plus VAT for a Scorpion S5 tracking device and I’ve sourced it for £379 including VAT and fitting. Just got to decide now whether to do it and get the free insurance or buy insurance that doesn’t require a tracking device and save myself the subscription costs.I guess it depends if any discounts for having a tracking device actually offset the annual subscription costs. And assess the likelihood of a tracking device affecting the vehicles electronics.

And assess the likelihood of a tracking device affecting the vehicles electronics.

The interesting bit would be if EuroVans / VW would commit, if they installed the tracker, that it doesn't affect the warranty so if it does cause any issues, VW would cover any warranty work even if it was traced back to the tracker.

The interesting bit would be if EuroVans / VW would commit, if they installed the tracker, that it doesn't affect the warranty so if it does cause any issues, VW would cover any warranty work even if it was traced back to the tracker.
I think you’d struggle to get anyone to commit to that in writing IMHO. Fitted by a third party as requested by VWFS, which is a separate legal entity to VWCV. There’d be a right bunfight should the proverbial hit the fan!

IMHO!

I think you’d struggle to get anyone to commit to that in writing IMHO. Fitted by a third party as requested by VWFS, which is a separate legal entity to VWCV. There’d be a right bunfight should the proverbial hit the fan!

IMHO!
I agree . . . this adds weight to not using the insurance offer! It's almost as if VW knew customers wouldn't be interested in it . . .

I agree . . . this adds weight to not using the insurance offer! It's almost as if VW knew customers wouldn't be interested in it . . .
I think it makes more sense on a GC as more insurers insist on a tracker where the value of the vehicle is over £75k

I’ve ordered this one which includes fitting and the first year’s subscription for £449:
I don’t have a delivery date yet but Connectmycar are happy to wait until the van arrives and Eurovans are happy to let them in before I pick it up.

My cheapest insurance quote has been £980 with LV (plus an £800 excess) even with the tracker fitted and no-one seems to want to insure me at all without one. Am 36, had my driving license for 15+ years and have no claims or convictions to speak of. What am I doing wrong?!

Last edited:
I got LV insurance from day 1
Day 2 had a Ghost2 and Global Telemetrics - Trident (Thatcham Category 6 and S7) - TSC027)
which is a real time tracking device installed.
Pay 12.99 a month subscription for the tracker.
If the battery gets disconnected, the GLobal Tele ring me after 20 seconds and asked if I’ve removed the battery.
If the Camper rolls more than 6 feet with no key in ignition, you get a pop up alert on our phones and again global ring you to make sure you know where the camper is.
It’s peace of mind as I cannot now order a new 4 Motion from new.
Total cost was £449 installed, for the ghost, had the tracker installed for free (the offer at the time)
3 year warranty on both.
Can also pay £549 for life for the tracker.
So if I keep camper for 15 years would be a cost of £3 a month.

I got LV insurance from day 1
Day 2 had a Ghost2 and Global Telemetrics - Trident (Thatcham Category 6 and S7) - TSC027)
which is a real time tracking device installed.
Cost for this is now £900 but includes a Scorpion S5. You still have to pay the S5 subscription on top of that so total its over £1000 for the first year. To get the free insurance, that’s quite an investment.

Thanks @Jimmylondon07. That’s a good price being as it includes the first year.
To compare the Scorpion and Vodafone S5 trackers, they are very similar products, but the main difference is that the Scorpion only comes with a single driver tag and one other driver has to use a phone app. The Vodafone S5 by comparison comes with two tags, which for me would be more practical as I don’t want to be reliant on my phone to use my car!

Cost for this is now £900 but includes a Scorpion S5. You still have to pay the S5 subscription on top of that so total its over £1000 for the first year. To get the free insurance, that’s quite an investment.
I didn’t want the free VW insurance.
I simply did what I said.
But are you saying they want £900 for a S5 ?
If yes then don’t bother.
Just get LV insurance and get the S7 global Telemetrics. & ghost 2.

Last edited:
To compare the Scorpion and Vodafone S5 trackers, they are very similar products, but the main difference is that the Scorpion only comes with a single driver tag and one other driver has to use a phone app. The Vodafone S5 by comparison comes with two tags, which for me would be more practical as I don’t want to be reliant on my phone to use my car!
I don’t use the mobile phone app thing.
Another break in the chain.

Quick update. I contacted the salesman at EV and he said if I wanted to sort a tracking device out myself, I could arrange to have it fitted prior to pick up. They had quoted me £495 plus VAT for a Scorpion S5 tracking device and I’ve sourced it for £379 including VAT and fitting. Just got to decide now whether to do it and get the free insurance or buy insurance that doesn’t require a tracking device and save myself the subscription costs.I guess it depends if any discounts for having a tracking device actually offset the annual subscription costs. And assess the likelihood of a tracking device affecting the vehicles electronics.
I have an S6/7 tracker and Ghost fitted.
The only issue with electronics is the auto lock on drive off doesn’t work for me.
Another person on here had their guy fit a relay somewhere online with the ghost and their auto lock works fine now.
Don’t be put off by a ghost or tracker.
If you want to keep it for a long time, it’s a worthwhile investment.

I think it makes more sense on a GC as more insurers insist on a tracker where the value of the vehicle is over £75k

So do you get a quote for the new/retail price of the van or the price actually paid? I got a quote today from Comfort/LV and specifically asked whether I should insure for the price paid +/-65k or the retail price +/-75k. They said that the replacement value of +/-75k ... which puts it into the obligatory tracker bracket.

So do you get a quote for the new/retail price of the van or the price actually paid? I got a quote today from Comfort/LV and specifically asked whether I should insure for the price paid +/-65k or the retail price +/-75k. They said that the replacement value of +/-75k ... which puts it into the obligatory tracker bracket.
To confirm, LV were saying a tracker is mandatory? This is news if so . . .

To confirm, LV were saying a tracker is mandatory? This is news if so . . .
I tried online and if the value is >75k then tracker is mandatory, if <75k then tracker wasn't mandatory but it wouldn't give me a quote. I had to phone them for a quote (probs becuase it will be kept on the street as I don't have a drive).

On the phone they advised me I needed to insure for +/-75k replacement price vs the +/-65k I actually paid. So that takes me into the mandatory tracker bracket.

Other surprising things arising: the van needs to be parked on the street within view of my house windows. I can't rent my house out and go live in the van. When I add the £1000 of solar panels it doesn't count as modification but i should tell them as the value changes.

This was with Comfort (a broker I think) not LV direct. The policy they have quoted me is an LV policy.

Other surprising things arising: the van needs to be parked on the street within view of my house windows.
Honestly, that sounds ridiculous and really quite impractical, certainly in London. Next they will be asking you to watch the van at all times when at home!

Back