Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Free 1yr Insurance with VW and S5 Tracking Device

Hi, initially they said I needed to bring across the NCB from an exiting vehicle,
Yes, I spoke to VW insurance today and they confirmed this has been changed and just proof of 2 years NCB is required.
There is a potential catch in that it says it’s only available for the current 3x derivatives of Californias ordered by 3/4/23 which presumably was when the Happy Camper event finished. BUT it then says “and collected by 30/6/23” which isn’t very long at all.
These are the terms of the Happy Camper event free insurance (link below). The offer ended on 1st June and there is no collection deadline. The copy you have looks like an earlier version, which has subsequently changed.

So here's a more general insurance query; I get the new-for-old RRP based value and agree with that, but the question is let's say we take out a policy today and the RRP of the Cali is say £74k. All good. Then in August the Cali stops production and they announce Cali mk7 (whatever that looks like), which undoubtedly would be more expensive. Does that mean the insurance is still only going to cover the £74k and you're left with a shortfall, or does the policy use the phrasing "new for old on a Cali" and therefore you're covered (I unfortunately suspect I know the answer to this already!).
You would be limited the the value of your van. Anything more would be what’s known as betterment. I’ve not read the wording but it’s likely to say they can choose to reinstate the property or pay for the loss in money. Therefore, if it’s no longer available new, they would pay you what it would have cost had it still been available (or possibly if reinstatement isn’t possible due to discontinuation, it may revert to current market price).

You would be limited the the value of your van. Anything more would be what’s known as betterment. I’ve not read the wording but it’s likely to say they can choose to reinstate the property or pay for the loss in money. Therefore, if it’s no longer available new, they would pay you what it would have cost had it still been available (or possibly if reinstatement isn’t possible due to discontinuation, it may revert to current market price).
If no longer available new I would assume current market price would apply.

Called about this today and asked about the euro cover included. 90 days a year but only third party cover. If you want fully comp you need to pay extra.

Yes, I called VW and as long as you have 2 years NCD on your existing policy, you qualify on that point. You do not need to swap over your existing policy.
VW explicitly told me that I could only have the free insurance if I used my NCD from my Passat. He suggested I cancel the NCD on my Passat and paid the higher premium in order to use the NCD on the California!

Called about this today and asked about the euro cover included. 90 days a year but only third party cover. If you want fully comp you need to pay extra.
£57.12 for 18-31 days Green Card which is sent to you by email.

VW explicitly told me that I could only have the free insurance if I used my NCD from my Passat. He suggested I cancel the NCD on my Passat and paid the higher premium in order to use the NCD on the California!

Think I’ll pass. For ‘free’ insurance it seems to cost you a lot of money.

That’s not what others have been told. You need to evidence NCD but you don’t need to use it on this insurance.
What does that buy you? Fully comp?

Well that’s interesting @Ianvonlux2023 . What date was that? I called VW Insurance on 14th June specifically to ask about the NCD requirements and was advised that the need to transfer the discount from my other vehicle no longer applied. Now it is just necessary just to show that you have 2 years NCD on another policy. I was also advised this was a recent change to their requirements, which is why I asked you about the date.

Well that’s interesting @Ianvonlux2023 . What date was that? I called VW Insurance on 14th June specifically to ask about the NCD requirements and was advised that the need to transfer the discount from my other vehicle no longer applied. Now it is just necessary just to show that you have 2 years NCD on another policy. I was also advised this was a recent change to their requirements, which is why I asked you about the date.
Today. I questioned him several times as this was news to me. He was supposed to call me back but hasn't yet. Thanks for the info, I'll mention this to him tomorrow and see what he says.

If no longer available new I would assume current market price would apply.
I asked VW about this today. If there is a replacement van available for sale in the UK then I'd get that. But if it had to be ordered from factory* then for some reason they wouldn't do that but rather pay out the market value. Which seems like a con!

* assuming still being manufactured!

Today. I questioned him several times as this was news to me. He was supposed to call me back but hasn't yet. Thanks for the info, I'll mention this to him tomorrow and see what he says.
When you say ‘he’ I presume you mean the salesperson you are dealing with at Eurovans (DtD).

You should set the insurance up yourself by dealing directly with VW Car Insurance, once you have the correct vehicle details from Eurovans. They will also need proof of the tracker fitment.

All the instructions are on this link:

When you say ‘he’ I presume you mean the salesperson you are dealing with at Eurovans (DtD).

You should set the insurance up yourself by dealing directly with VW Car Insurance, once you have the correct vehicle details from Eurovans. They will also need proof of the tracker fitment.

All the instructions are on this link:
"he" as in the gentleman at VW Insurance :)

"he" as in the gentleman at VW Insurance :)
See my previous posts above - I took the free insurance about 3 weeks ago upon collection of our new Ocean, and I did not have to cancel the policy on my existing car, just provide evidence of the minimum 2 years NCD that I have.

I've just got off the phone with a different person at VW Insurance. He tells me that in order to be eligable for the free offer I need to transfer my 21 years NCD to the "free" van policy. He checked with a supervisor who confirmed this. He read the text on the website provided to me by Kayleigh and admitted that this is ambiguous but stated that its common terminology for new insurance policies.

I asked him to escalate this to a manager and get back to me. It was all very amicable but he's of the opinion that escalating this won't change the outcome.

I mentioned (no names) that another person had taken the insurance recently and not moved their NCD. VW Insurance suggested that policies aren't checked for a month or so and they suspect that @Andy C Berks. will get a letter saying that the evidence of NCD isn't acceptable if there is no evidence that the NCD has been moved to the new "free" policy.

I'm waiting for a call back.

I've just got off the phone with a different person at VW Insurance. He tells me that in order to be eligable for the free offer I need to transfer my 21 years NCD to the "free" van policy. He checked with a supervisor who confirmed this. He read the text on the website provided to me by Kayleigh and admitted that this is ambiguous but stated that its common terminology for new insurance policies.

I asked him to escalate this to a manager and get back to me. It was all very amicable but he's of the opinion that escalating this won't change the outcome.

I mentioned (no names) that another person had taken the insurance recently and not moved their NCD. VW Insurance suggested that policies aren't checked for a month or so and they suspect that @Andy C Berks. will get a letter saying that the evidence of NCD isn't acceptable if there is no evidence that the NCD has been moved to the new "free" policy.

I'm waiting for a call back.
@Ianvonlux2023 - I just called VW Insurance again and spoke to a person called Mitchell. He initially stated that you need to move your NCD, but then checked their Underwriting Guide. The Underwriting Guide was updated in March 2023 for the California. It now clearly states that for the VW California you just need to prove you have 2 years NCD, which can remain in use on another car.
I mentioned that some people were having an issue with the NCD and he suggested that they need to check the Underwriting Guide as it is clearly stated. He was also happy to give me his name, so you could always ask for him if needed.
Hope that helps :)

@Ianvonlux2023 - I just called VW Insurance again and spoke to a person called Mitchell. He initially stated that you need to move your NCD, but then checked their Underwriting Guide. The Underwriting Guide was updated in March 2023 for the California. It now clearly states that for the VW California you just need to prove you have 2 years NCD, which can remain in use on another car.
I mentioned that some people were having an issue with the NCD and he suggested that they need to check the Underwriting Guide as it is clearly stated. He was also happy to give me his name, so you could always ask for him if needed.
Hope that helps :)
This helps enormously! Thanks :)

Success! I called again. Again told I needed to transfer the NCD. I mentioned the underwriting guide as per @Kayleigh and the lady was momentarily stumped before checking the underwriting guide and then processing my "free" insurance! Many thanks @Kayleigh, I owe you a drink :)
No problem :)

I don’t understand the No claims bonus thing, why is it assigned to a vehicle ? I earned it by making no claims, the vehicle didn’t.

I don’t understand the No claims bonus thing, why is it assigned to a vehicle ? I earned it by making no claims, the vehicle didn’t.
Because you can’t use a single NCD on more than one vehicle at a time. This is the interesting thing about this. What happens at renewal.

Because you can’t use a single NCD on more than one vehicle at a time. This is the interesting thing about this. What happens at renewal.
At renewal you will have one year NCD on the VW policy. If you have another vehicle, at renewal it may be worthwhile switching over to your existing policy if it works out cheaper.

Last edited:
Back