Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best time to buy?

C

cooky73

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all,

I am after a 2012 - 14 T5.1 SE for around £35k and was wondering if prices are likely to go any lower if I wait another month or so?

Not in a massive rush but want to be sorted for the 2020 camping season.

Thanks!

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2017 150 DSG Ocean
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Getting a good deal is more about knowing the market and having the confidence to be quick to jump when a well priced one appears - rather than getting your timing right.

So study every van on the market, see how quickly it sells, and you'll gain the confidence to dive in when the right one appears. Sit with your wad of cash and check ebay / here and autotrader several times a day.

Sounds like you are on the right track with your spec and budget, so perhaps you've been swotting up already :)

Elmo the Ocean

Elmo the Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Well, I’ve noticed prices softening in November and rising in March. April becomes a sellers market. Contrary to what you might think, the middle of summer is a good time to buy. Most people are either on holiday or have made their plans by then.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I take a different view.

VW have just stopped taking orders for the T6 California. It will probably be weeks before anyone can order a T6-1 and then months before they would receive it.

Not everyone likes the forthcoming new T6-1 and anyway it doesn't represent a massive step change from the current model. So why wait for something that isn't much different but is likely to cost a lot more? I think many people will decide not to wait, preferring instead to buy and enjoy their van now rather than waiting and paying more for almost the same thing later.

Therefore, with the current supply of new or nearly new T6s now being finite and no replacement available for months, supply will start to dry up quickly but demand will not. Dealers know this and might therefore be tempted to hold out for higher prices. The knock on effect may well be firmer prices further down the second hand chain.

So my gut feeling is if you want a good T6 Cali then don't hang about.

Last edited:
Morganic

Morganic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I’ve found that just before Christmas is a good time to buy.
1. Not many people are buying at that time of year because of Christmas. That time of year is quiet for dealers and they need cash flow. And if they have stock on their forecourt it’s costing them money.
2. Dealers get end of year bonuses on new vehicles they sell. So they have space to manoeuvre on discounts.
3. If they’re able sell more then the next year they can up their allocation.

I bought mine new in December and got a 16% discount on an in stock vehicle.
I dare say you might get a similar discount at other times of the year but you might have to wait. My suppling dealer gave me the above information when I asked him why such a good discount.

HTML