Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best time to buy?

cooky73

cooky73

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all,

I am after a 2012 - 14 T5.1 SE for around £35k and was wondering if prices are likely to go any lower if I wait another month or so?

Not in a massive rush but want to be sorted for the 2020 camping season.

Thanks!

Getting a good deal is more about knowing the market and having the confidence to be quick to jump when a well priced one appears - rather than getting your timing right.

So study every van on the market, see how quickly it sells, and you'll gain the confidence to dive in when the right one appears. Sit with your wad of cash and check ebay / here and autotrader several times a day.

Sounds like you are on the right track with your spec and budget, so perhaps you've been swotting up already :)

Well, I’ve noticed prices softening in November and rising in March. April becomes a sellers market. Contrary to what you might think, the middle of summer is a good time to buy. Most people are either on holiday or have made their plans by then.

I take a different view.

VW have just stopped taking orders for the T6 California. It will probably be weeks before anyone can order a T6-1 and then months before they would receive it.

Not everyone likes the forthcoming new T6-1 and anyway it doesn't represent a massive step change from the current model. So why wait for something that isn't much different but is likely to cost a lot more? I think many people will decide not to wait, preferring instead to buy and enjoy their van now rather than waiting and paying more for almost the same thing later.

Therefore, with the current supply of new or nearly new T6s now being finite and no replacement available for months, supply will start to dry up quickly but demand will not. Dealers know this and might therefore be tempted to hold out for higher prices. The knock on effect may well be firmer prices further down the second hand chain.

So my gut feeling is if you want a good T6 Cali then don't hang about.

Last edited:
I’ve found that just before Christmas is a good time to buy.
1. Not many people are buying at that time of year because of Christmas. That time of year is quiet for dealers and they need cash flow. And if they have stock on their forecourt it’s costing them money.
2. Dealers get end of year bonuses on new vehicles they sell. So they have space to manoeuvre on discounts.
3. If they’re able sell more then the next year they can up their allocation.

I bought mine new in December and got a 16% discount on an in stock vehicle.
I dare say you might get a similar discount at other times of the year but you might have to wait. My suppling dealer gave me the above information when I asked him why such a good discount.

I take a different view.

VW have just stopped taking orders for the T6 California. It will probably be weeks before anyone can order a T6-1 and then months before they would receive it.

Not everyone likes the forthcoming new T6-1 and anyway it doesn't represent a massive step change from the current model. So why wait for something that isn't much different but is likely to cost a lot more? I think many people will decide not to wait, preferring instead to buy and enjoy their van now rather than waiting and paying more for almost the same thing later.

Therefore, with the current supply of new or nearly new T6s now being finite and no replacement available for months, supply will start to dry up quickly but demand will not. Dealers know this and might therefore be tempted to hold out for higher prices. The knock on effect may well be firmer prices further down the second hand chain.

So my gut feeling is if you want a good T6 Cali then don't hang about.
Sound financial advice but I can’t understand why anyone would dislike the new model
Pricing is not much more than current model and residuals will be higher

Sound financial advice but I can’t understand why anyone would dislike the new model
Have you seen a new price list in the UK?
In Germany, the price has jumped 5%, and the current uk 14% ‘clearance’ discounts will fall to 5%, I’d say that’s a pretty big turn around, for something that depreciates as slowly as a Cali.

Have you seen a new price list in the UK?
In Germany, the price has jumped 5%, and the current uk 14% ‘clearance’ discounts will fall to 5%, I’d say that’s a pretty big turn around, for something that depreciates as slowly as a Cali.
No uk prices finally confirmed but. as with all premium badged motors 3 or 5 % increase is normal for a new year/ model
Suspect a little wriggle room from Vw in anticipation of brexit
You pay your money and. Make your choice

My main objections to the T6-1 are:

1. The front end refresh.
The T6 front is a case of simple clean and effective design. IMO the new T6-1 front looks contrived and over designed. VW may have had to make the grill bigger to meet latest emissions rules however I don't think they have improved it's looks. A case of more is less for me I'm afraid.

2. The new dash.
As above, VW have taken a simple, clean and effective dash layout design and tossed it in the bin. Instead VW have given the T6-1 the dash board design equivalent of chaos. I hate that new design, it's all over the place. All gaps and odd angles which to me least, look like a complete mess. I also dislike the over use of shiny black plastic. That stuff only ever looks good in the show room. As soon as a host of sticky mitts touch down, it looks really awful.

3. The new coloured instrument display.
You either like this sort of thing or you don't. My view is that the current instruments in the T6 are clear, concise, simple and well laid out and because the main point of the instruments are as an aid to driving, that is just how they should be. You shouldn't be tempted to do any more than glance at them whilst driving. Therefore the amount of information they give should be kept to the bare minimum whilst being clearly displayed. So why the new brightly coloured display? It will likely be imparting all sorts of unessessary info. Might it prove to be more of a distraction than the current instruments? It strikes me as a gimmick rather than an improvement.

4. Price increase. Need I say more.

However, there are two things that do interest me on the T6-1. The first is the second sliding door on the Beach version. This is a very welcomed improvement which is long over due. The second is the pull out kitchen, again on the Beach. Again this is a very nice touch. It appears to be very well designed and takes up no space. This feature will prove very useful to many future owners. However, would they pursued me to wait for a T6-1. Definitely not. I doubt if we would use the stove much, preferring instead to cook outside whenever possible and we have managed very well without a second slider for the last four years.

So for me it's still the clean, simple and well designed T6.

Last edited:
My main objections to the T6-1 are:

1. The front end refresh.
The T6 front is a case of simple clean and effective design. IMO the new T6-1 front looks contrived and over designed. VW may have had to make the grill bigger to meet latest emissions rules however I don't think they have improved it's looks. A case of more is less for me I'm afraid.

2. The new dash.
As above, VW have taken a simple, clean and effective dash layout design and tossed it in the bin. Instead VW have given the T6-1 the dash board design equivalent of chaos. I hate that new design, it's all over the place. All gaps and odd angles which to me least, look like a complete mess. I also dislike the over use of shiny black plastic. That stuff only ever looks good in the show room. As soon as a host of sticky mitts touch down, it looks really awful.

3. The new coloured instrument display.
You either like this sort of thing or you don't. My view is that the current instruments in the T6 are clear, concise, simple and well laid out and because the main point of the instruments are as an aid to driving, that is just how they should be. You shouldn't be tempted to do any more than glance at them whilst driving. Therefore the amount of information they give should be kept to the bare minimum whilst being clearly displayed. So why the new brightly coloured display? It will likely be imparting all sorts of unessessary info. Might it prove to be more of a distraction than the current instruments? It strikes me as a gimmick rather than an improvement.

4. Price increase. Need I say more.

However, there are two things that do interest me on the T6-1. The first is the second sliding door on the Beach version. This is a very welcomed improvement which is long over due. The second is the pull out kitchen, again on the Beach. Again this is a very nice touch. It appears to be very well designed and takes up no space. This feature will prove very useful to many future owners. However, would they pursued me to wait for a T6-1. Definitely not. I doubt if we would use the stove much preferring instead to cook outside whenever possible and we have managed very well without a second slider for the last four years.

So for me it's still the clean, simple and well designed T6.
Each to their own !!
My wife says stop being such a grump !!
Happy camping x

I’ve found that just before Christmas is a good time to buy.
1. Not many people are buying at that time of year because of Christmas. That time of year is quiet for dealers and they need cash flow. And if they have stock on their forecourt it’s costing them money.
2. Dealers get end of year bonuses on new vehicles they sell. So they have space to manoeuvre on discounts.
3. If they’re able sell more then the next year they can up their allocation.

I bought mine new in December and got a 16% discount on an in stock vehicle.
I dare say you might get a similar discount at other times of the year but you might have to wait. My suppling dealer gave me the above information when I asked him why such a good discount.
I totally agree.

However, in the case of the California, things may well have changed by Christmas time. The amount of new or nearly new T6s will be substantially reduced and the new T6-1 models will only just be starting to trickle in, if at all. So I'm not sure how the dealers will behave re selling the T6 California.

I totally agree.

However, in the case of the California, things may well have changed by Christmas time. The amount of new or nearly new T6s will be substantially reduced and the new T6-1 models will only just be starting to trickle in, if at all. So I'm not sure how the dealers will behave re selling the T6 California.
Morgan if is spot on in his analysis

Proof of the pudding is in the eating - I have just bought a new 2 tone 150 DSG Ocean with coloured billows, Awning, LED, Discover Media plus and some other options for £56,000 - on the road - VW are soaking up 1st year VED, delivery costs etc Compared to the 2nd hand prices on this forum that seems pretty good so this does seem a good time to buy.