Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best WildCamping App

R

RTWoodstock

Vehicle
Looking to buy
is there an app that is generally thought to be the best for wild camping/free camping sites?

Still don't like the frase " wild camping " prefer free standing or free aires
I use this a lot
http://www.campercontact.com/en/
There are already existing treads on this

Excellent thanks - searched on apps with no result so thanks - Will buy.

I just tried the lite version and it only found 1 campsite of at least 5 near me, but it is difficult to know whether that's because I have not paid for the annual subscription, I would feel cheated if I paid for this and they were still not there, and then if I added them I have to pay for the privilege of doing it for them...

I have paid for it but have to say whilst it will probably be useful enough to cover the cost - it clearly hasn't been updated for latest screen sizes and the search function is haphazard to say the least.

Must say i don't use the app but search things up at home....;)

There are a few on the Android platform; Wikicamps UK and park4night. I've not used either of these but they do work offline if you by the pro-version.

It frustrates me that there isn't a better list of 'wild' sites and pubs that allow overnights. I follow several groups on Facebook and not one has been able to collate the many many suggested places into a decent list.

I think wildcamping is the best established of those out there. 'Searchforsites' seem to be building something good and if I had to pick one for the future, that would be it.

Had a good use of park4night. Saved us finding cool wild spots in Sweeden couple days ago ;)

Try wildcamping.co.uk. Become a full member (£15 a year I think?) and get access to a very big list of wildcamping spots, pubs, water points and LPG stations.

Available in various formats, such as satnav POIs, google earth, there is a IOS and Android app too. Also an interactive map on their website for full members.

Been using them for about 4 years now. Some locations are good, some locations make you wonder what people are on :) Here's a taster:

19679746458_7fd98cfb4f_z.jpg

hth,
dan

Try wildcamping.co.uk. Become a full member (£15 a year I think?) and get access to a very big list of wildcamping spots, pubs, water points and LPG stations.

Available in various formats, such as satnav POIs, google earth, there is a IOS and Android app too. Also an interactive map on their website for full members.

Been using them for about 4 years now. Some locations are good, some locations make you wonder what people are on :) Here's a taster:

19679746458_7fd98cfb4f_z.jpg

hth,
dan
Looks good. Now £19.87 which then gives you the POI.
Bookmarked and something I may join when the need arises.
Thanks

Mike

I have loads, but in fact depend on one

The Mk1 eyeball.

The spirit of wild camping is not to prepare in advance but instead have that innate perception of "this will do".

This is not looking for an Aire, or a campsite, or a car park: this is "i'm in a cali, I can park where I like unless there is some notice telling me not to",,

Frankly I prefer to be organised, not go off on "let's chance it", but when I have been driven to. there is practically no where that within 20 minutes of looking, will find you somewhere to park up, comfortable, within the law.

As above,I like to do my own thing as and when spontaneously which for me suits the Cali adventure
Done all the time consuming planning in advance in the past only to change my mind at the last moment
I understand this wouldn't suit some people for various reasons but what a buzz cruzing along the highway not knowing where you will be bedding down that evening....... I just love my Cali way of life :cool:

Happy days
Alan

We use the Wild Camping app. Lots of places but quite a few are simply lay-bys which we definitely wouldn't use. We check spots out on Google Earth first. It does have pub stops as well as water points etc.
Got Camper Contact as well for abroad but find it rather difficult to use, sometimes works, somtimes doesn't.

I have tried the (dutch) Campercontact app but the membership is not worth the money. The app itself is quite bad in terms of user interface and handling but it also lacks most of the spots I have found as 'well known' if I look at the campers parked.

In the two occasions I had to find a place te stay after dark, the app could not provide me with anything else than normal campings and most 'free or cheap' spots are the parking lots of restaurants where the owner wants you to have dinner inside.

And when I wanted to add a service place to the app I was not able to fill in all the questions and the parking was not accepted.

Also I do not like to share my really nice & quiet places and tip those white battleships.

*deleted* the app

On the other hand: I do have a record of almost all my places where I stayed for the night and I'm happy to share them with you. But all are all nothing more than some open space where you can put a cali for the night. Sometimes a parking but most of them nothing at all.

Oh, I love to travel that way.

FYI: I use the very well working Pocket Earth Pro app in which you can download very detailed maps of countries or parts of countries to use a minimum of data when you are abroad, mark spots for later reference but also is capable of tracking your trail. When online it can even provide you with route information.

I have created a thread in the VIP section on Wild Camp Locations as suggested by Loz.

By putting them in the VIP section it will ensure that only Cali owners can see them and they will be hidden from search engines and thus not get spoiled by a larger audience. Feel free to share whatever you are comfortable with there. :)

Sleeping in a camper van slightly off the beaten track isn't wild camping in my experience or opinion, I would reserve that term for anyone who has carried all they need on their back and slept under the stars in a bivvy bag way off the beaten track. Just saying

If you have experienced, say, 4 weeks in a canoe along the Yukon - there is no place in Europe where sleeping in a tent or bivi can be called 'wild camping'.
I have done all kinds of camping - including backpacking into national parks where no California will ever show up but for me the definition of wild camping is just every kind of staying on a place that is 'not a camping'.

What should be the right naming - according to you?

If you have experienced, say, 4 weeks in a canoe along the Yukon - there is no place in Europe where sleeping in a tent or bivi can be called 'wild camping'.
I have done all kinds of camping - including backpacking into national parks where no California will ever show up but for me the definition of wild camping is just every kind of staying on a place that is 'not a camping'.

What should be the right naming - according to you?

Well I disagree, Europe is big enough to get lost in, should you wish, and 4 weeks isn't very long.

How about "Campervaninig ' ?

Back