Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beware Spare Wheels Stolen

chrisandkateg

chrisandkateg

Chris G
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hope you all had a good time at the weekend meets. We were at Legoland ay Windsor After spending a full day at the venue we discovered our spare wheel had been stolen from the van a 2013 SE.

Having done some follow up research this is a regular occurrence, which Thames Valley Police also confirmed when I reported the crime. There is one road in and out of the car park which you pay an additional £4 to use. It is covered by CCTV and has numerous staff manning the area. Legoland security tell me they are checking the footage.

The thief even took the trouble to stow the bar and redo the bolt up, this reduces the chances of immediately discovering the theft when you return to your vehicle. We didn't have a locking bolt fitted but apparently they are apt at defeating them with little trouble.

When I spoke to the police last night one other car had reported their spare stolen. I just wonder how many others had theirs removed and are not yet aware. When they do they will have no idea where it went missing.

My first quote this morning for a spare wheel and tyre from my local VW dealer is about £240 depending on the make of tyre.

Hey, that's annoying - I am sorry to hear this.
So a security bolt isn't enough to deter the lowlife then?
Is there no way to stop this?
An alarm loop might help but lots of people just ignore alarms.

Any ideas anyone?

why do people want to steal a steel wheel?

AlternativeKim said:
why do people want to steal a steel wheel?

£120 of tyre (probably unused on a new van), bonus steel wheel (new again) and an easy target.

I am about to change tyres will be putting just legal get you home tyre on steel spare and use unused spare , As the the spare is an odd wheel being a spare have only used until puncture repaired may also paint the spare pink or paint my registration number on it

I have used the locking bolt plus a thick plastic covered loop cable with a waterproof padlock threaded through the wheel and carrier :thumb I think it's still
There

I had one stolen without a locking wheel nut.
I then paid for a locking wheel nut and it went again. They took the whole cage the second time.
Needs something better as its not cheap to keep replacing.

Why don't VW use the same system to mount the spare wheel they have on the Sharan. It's held on a steel houser which is wound down/up from within the van.

Blame the government. We don't crucify enough of the under class. We need to start culling these scumbags.

S.

Sorry, my politics are just to the left of Attila The Hun.

If you require a spare wheel and tyre why not contact Benn on here who sells the new winter tyres and wheels. You will get two delivered for the quote you have from VW :D I know as I recently bought two.

Andy

It sounds like there isn't a lot that will stop these people.
Legoland can't do a lot about it either. I know it can happen anywhere, but I don't think I will be returning to Legoland anytime soon...

That's a bummer sorry to hear that. We have a locking bolt too so will have to add a bike lock!

You would think it would not take much to change the floor plan design to put an interior wheel-well in, as VW do in may of their saloon cars. Wouldn't cost a lot. They are happy to upgrade the look and the tooling that goes with that, but not the practicalities.

Alan

Chris,

Sorry to hear your day out was ruined by lowlifes. It was astute of you to notice it was missing.

Just a point it may be worth keeping a eye on eBay or the other obvious places like Gumtree to see if your spare wheel comes up for sale.

John

Has any one used a Tyre Sealant. I have been advised that Slime is good as it still allows the tyre to be repaired.
The only safe way to keep the wheel/tyre is to leave it out of site in the boot. I think for short breaks and local runs this is what we'll do. However,for the tours we'll lock it to the cradle and hope...although, from what i hear the police have noticed it merely cause more damage to the van if the scmbags are that determined.

Thanks. very kind of you Dave to agree the discount for our vip's it looks well made and up to the job :thumb

How do they manage to nick the wheel? Do they hacksaw through both bolts or is there another method?
Dave can you explain how your bracket fits onto the wheel carrier?

Many thanks

And what is it made of I.e thickness of steel bracket.
Thanks

Looks to me like it protects the bolt so can not saw through it

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy said:
Looks to me like it protects the bolt so can not saw through it

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
That's what I am thinking but my wheel holder has two bolts, this one only appears to cover one bolt.

It prevents access to the rotating collar of the security bolt, thus making it harder to undo.

Hope you all had a good time at the weekend meets. We were at Legoland ay Windsor After spending a full day at the venue we discovered our spare wheel had been stolen from the van a 2013 SE.

Having done some follow up research this is a regular occurrence, which Thames Valley Police also confirmed when I reported the crime. There is one road in and out of the car park which you pay an additional £4 to use. It is covered by CCTV and has numerous staff manning the area. Legoland security tell me they are checking the footage.

The thief even took the trouble to stow the bar and redo the bolt up, this reduces the chances of immediately discovering the theft when you return to your vehicle. We didn't have a locking bolt fitted but apparently they are apt at defeating them with little trouble.

When I spoke to the police last night one other car had reported their spare stolen. I just wonder how many others had theirs removed and are not yet aware. When they do they will have no idea where it went missing.

My first quote this morning for a spare wheel and tyre from my local VW dealer is about £240 depending on the make of tyre.

Unbelievable I know, but the EXACT same thing has just happened to us!

I was aware of this post so I actually checked the spare wheel was there when we left and to my horror that it was gone when we got back at 6 o'clock. Of course I am now frustrated that I didn't take any security measures in time!

So yes, to reiterate the initial post - do watch out if you are going to Legoland. Security on site and Thames Valley police both confirmed it is a really common problem.

A shame they don't seem to be able to do anything about it.

Anyway, thanks to this post, at least I'm aware that it's missing and where it was taken. I'm sure I would not have checked otherwise, and then found out at the most inconvenient moment possible.

Bought a bike cable lock & used it to lock my spare in place. Now need to order a locking bolt.

Sorry to hear the same happened to you as us. :censor

You may want to email Sue Kemp Divisional Director
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort at sue.kemp@legoland.co.uk

I wrote to CEO Merlin Entertainments with a number of complaints from our visit (they had a very bad day at Lego Land that weekend). His office passed it to to Sue, her reply was comprehensive. The part relevant to my stolen spare wheel is copied below:

• The theft of your spare tyre is clearly unacceptable and I can imagine how frustrating it was, especially at the end of a long day. This is not a common issue at the Resort (there were 21 incidents during 2013) and we do work closely with the local Thames Valley Police regarding criminal activity that occurs in the car parks in and around Windsor.

Thanks Chrisandkate, really helpful. I will get in touch.

Back