Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

140 vs 180 bhp Cali?

Many many threads on this over the last 5 years. If you're bored then do a search and you'll have plenty to read.

140 is absolutely fine. If you want to spend more get a 180.

I don't know how some of these conversions manage with the 84 & 102bhp engines .... :(
Hired a conversion a couple of years ago and wasn't a problem. Obviously, it was slower than a Cali etc but it felt fine and driving a camper van is supposed to be a calm and chilled way to travel ( still lots more power than T2/T3 etc). They are vans after all, designed to carry a lot of weight. My 140 is no racer but it is no sluggard either. ;)

We test drove both the 140 & 180, I think it is only when you have driven both you realise how much more rapid the 180 is.

For me the limiting factor is the cornering speed which is the same for both, the acceleration even 5 up & fully loaded for the 140 is adequate. As our usage is either holiday mode - fast blast down motorways to get there then ambling around, or work mode - usually sitting in queues on the M25 I wouldn't get there faster with more power, I might I concede, catch up with the car in front a tiny bit quicker.

These days on the roads I drive the chances for overtaking on A roads whatever car I drive are few and far between, having a slower vehicle is actually more relaxing for me as I'm not sitting looking for every oportunity to overtake instead I just sit back & go with the flow.

I made a conscious decision to go for the simpler to fix 140 with a view to long term ownership with lower fuel bills & cheaper repair costs, likewise I would have liked a DSG but am concerned about long term reliability.

Having said all that I tried a 114 beach & thought that was too slow & I wouldn't fancy a 140 with the 4motion & dsg. If I lived in the highlands with lots of hills & overtaking still happening I would probably want a 180.

We've had ours for 4 years and as it was an ex demo we had no choice (it's a 140). Admittedly doesn't have the power of my day to day car but for what it is I don't find it lacking either for short journeys or 3,000 mile trips in Europe.

We owned a 140 dsg caravelle before our 180 dsg 4motion california, cant really compare the two engines. 180 is fantastic with two power surges when accelerating. Not toyota supra style but get the idea of the drive to a campsite being half the fun of the journey?

Yes, the 180 DSG is great, provided you don't actually stop, because when you start off again you have to wait while the full speed ahead command is telegraphed down to the go department who seem to be pretty laid back and unaware of modern traffic conditions :D

Not noticed that on mine. You do have to adjust to make the most of the DSG drive train.
If you go from stopped, brake on, to accelerate then you could get a delay, but creep to accelerate and you accelerate. 1st gear is very short, just to get rolling but thereafter - great fun especially in Sport Mode and can certainly wipe the smile off some boy racers.:D:D

I think you should test by your own and feel the difference. Mine one is a 140bhp with 4motion and, for me, it's powerful enought, but sometimes I've missed more power "climbing" some montain roads in the norh of Spain. I was used to a 140bhp Passat which are much lighter and never had the need to change to 5th gear... or even 4th when "climbing"

We have a 140 Cali. I drive it every day, taking the kids to school etc. I have no problems with it at all. Even fully loaded, it's fine. If I wanted to rag around in a vehicle, I wouldn't be doing it in a 2+ tonne van with all our family bits packed away in it! Horses for courses. Test drive both and see what you think.

I have the 114ps engine and to be honest even that is fine. I have just sold my 210bhp Alfa Brera 2.4JTDM to part fund the van. That was a lovely car to drive and was a 6 speed, (sub 8 second 0-60) diesel. I was expecting to be horrified by the loss of power but even the 114 is fine, it is a van after all not a car. I adjusted very quickly to the new driving style. You aren't going to win any races but it pulled fine up some very steep hills in the lake district fully loaded up and full of people and dogs. We did a steady 75 all the way back and got about 40mpg average. I was nervous I should have got the 140 but I reckon the 114 will be efficient enough to make me happy with the choice.

Maybe its because I also have a 1.9td T25 that I don't expect my vans to do 0-60 in under 10 seconds. ;) I just embrace the slightly slower acceleration and enjoy the journey. As long as Im not slowing down on hills I am happy.

Always a topic of debate it seems, we have the basic 140, a lovely engine, plenty of power when required, we occasionally tow boats with no problem....as some have suggested it is after all a van.....but it's whatever suits and what your priorities are......

180 it is bigger,

180 it is bigger,
Depends what you are talking about, same dimensions, "bigger"horsepower,brakes, fuel and repair bills but smaller payload than the 140. ;)

Bigger? Not sure what that means, anyway as the old saying goes..."size isn't....." ;)

yep its what you do with it that counts!

Who cares. At my time of life it's all about enjoying life and although it may not matter much in the UK, on the Continent I believe it does have the edge.
Anyway, all those years of being responsible are gone. Mortgage paid, kids all sorted, now time for us.:D:D:D

Having driven a 140 manual for 6500miles I have to say I'm liking my 180 DSG.

Back