Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Boiling water down the sink.

• Thread starter Samanthaboyd001
  • Start date
Samanthaboyd001

Samanthaboyd001

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
If I boil pasta is it ok to poor boiling water down the sink. I was worried about the plastic pipes.

Thanks in advance

Andrew.

If I boil pasta is it ok to poor boiling water down the sink. I was worried about the plastic pipes.

Thanks in advance

Andrew.
We have always poured the boiling water from pasta pan through a make shift colander down the sink and so far it doesn't seem to have caused us any problem. You do get a wierd pop sometimes where the sink aluminium expands quickly (you get this in a house aluminium sink too sometimes too though) but all seems fine.

I did it without thinking in my Ocean a few years ago… then thought, oops… and always waited till it cooled after that, but never had a problem…

Thank you everyone for the advice. I can drive to Italy now and not worry

Thanks in advance

Andrew.
Non issue, any water hotter than 100 C is steam and the melting point of even poor quality PVC is 160 C upwards.
only thing I won’t put down the sink is hot fat as that could solidify and block the pipes when it cools

The melting pointpoint of PVC is over 160°C.
But PVC undergoes transformations well before reaching this temperature. There is a softening already around 60°C, synonymous with deformations.
It is never good to run "boiling" water without accompanying it with some cold water.
In my professional career I have observed pipes that undulated from attachment to attachment, forming waves of more than 3 inches. Unfortunately no photo found.

What?! We just chuck it outside, why fill the grey tank unnecessarily?

(My outraged Mrs is shouting across the room……. “It’s only water! strain it outside, keep
the steam and hot water out of the van, have the lid ready to pop back on to keep the pasta warm”) :D

Our pipe gets blocked when kids spit toothpaste down there (now banned).
I use drain cleaner and boiling water straight from the kettle to clear. It’s plumbing plastic. Same as your home kitchen sink u-bend. It’s a VW product. That’s why it costs £80k, materials and most importantly design thought.

We’ve found that putting boiled pasta water down the drain can block up the pipe a bit, because of the starch from the pasta in the water. It’s OK if you empty your tank soon after, or dilute with fresh water, but don’t leave the pasta water sitting in the grey water tank for days.

Our pipe gets blocked when kids spit toothpaste down there (now banned).
I use drain cleaner and boiling water straight from the kettle to clear. It’s plumbing plastic. Same as your home kitchen sink u-bend. It’s a VW product. That’s why it costs £80k, materials and most importantly design thought.
Only wish they’d put some design thought into the use of materials for the corroding roof!

Back