Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup ISOTOP - Early Review

M

muttley

Guest User
Having recently purchased an ISOTOP, and trialled it over a couple of rather cold nights, here is a quick review which I hope may be helpful for anyone considering this product.

Fitting is certainly rather fiddly, and the instructions aren't particularly clear. It seems to fit fairly well now, though (as I have seen mentioned before) the front does billow out a little, although this doesn't impede access through the hatch.

Obviously there is a balance to be struck between insulation / protection and ease of use. The big plus point of this product is that it can be left fitted when the roof is closed, but of course it will never provide as much insulation as an external cover. My personal view is that it really doesn't make much difference to the internal temperature on a cold night, but it does block the little vents in the bellows - so you don't get icy blasts of air on your face on a windy night! Of course you can open the windows in the ISOTOP on warmer nights. It should also prevent any rain penetration getting onto the bedding, which is important for us, as our pillows and sleeping bags were soaked on a stormy night when we hired a Cali for the weekend.

Overall I would say that this is a good quality, useful product. Is it worth the money that Brandrup want for it? No, as it is at least twice the price it should be, but it does make a cold night 'upstairs' more pleasant. I am very cautious about folding the roof down now, in case the extra material causes the roof to catch in the hinges, but so far it has folded cleanly with no problems.

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Simon for the review.

I agree with all the points you have made as I too have fitted and used a Iso Top which I managed to pick up second hand earlier this year.

To add to your review here are a few of my own observations about the Iso Top.

I too found the fitting fiddly and time consuming. When fitting I found the two small bits of hook tape (velcro) on the centre top sides in the wrong place and these left the rear top hanging down slightly and baggy. I extended the two with some extra velcro, by about 5 cm, and the top of the Iso top now fits well.

I also found the bottom front corners kept on coming unstuck and in the end I had to cut 10 cm of the loop tape in the corners off. This I cleaned up with cleaning alcohol then I carefully re glued them to the corners with ordinary Evostick contact adhesive which seems to have done the job. :thumb

Finally a health warning.When lowering the roof a large volume of air is displaced and this can cause the roof to bellow out with the Iso Top fitted. You also can no longer visually see the roof bellows when you are operating the roof by the central control panel. In my case the front roof batten got forced out and trapped. Result a broken batten and ripped pocket. This took me weeks to repair. :doh :shocked :oops:

My advice is to slightly unzip the side panel vents on the Iso Top and roof bellows and completely unzip the front panel vent on the Iso Top. This allows the air to escape and also allows you to visually check the outer roof bellows when lowering the roof. Finally unzipping the Iso Top front panel vent makes it easier to fold the Iso Top away neatly when the roof is stowed.

So the Iso Top experience for me has been a bit of a roller coaster. :crazy

However, with the teething points sorted my Iso Top has been an asset. I found it saves time, compared to using a outside roof cover. It keeps the upper roof bed area warmer, dry, and dark for sleeping. :thumb :D

John

Thanks John and Simon. These are both interesting and honest reviews. I'll probably buy an Iso-top too one day - after I've exhausted the very long list of things £500 could be better spent on.

drmanhattan said:
Thanks John and Simon. These are both interesting and honest reviews. I'll probably buy an Iso-top too one day - after I've exhausted the very long list of things £500 could be better spent on.

Indeed - that is half of the cost of a nice set of 18" alloys & tyres!

Or two aftermarket satnavs ...

Or a plethora of stickers ...

I think that is good advice about leaving the windows open on the ISOTOP. I have been closing the roof in 3 stages - checking the bellows from outside each time. It would be a lot smarter to be able to check from inside.

I've had the ISOTOP for 5 years. I leave it in all year. It it useful in the UK but not in the Alps in winter, being a thin rubbery membrane. It blocks the light whcih is useful and adds a little to insulation but if you're after good thermal insulation you need the ISOTOP extreme ( a new name, I think, for the grey padded type ) whcih is the winter one. It is fiddly to put up and take down, works reasonably well but if I was buying again I'd go for the type that fits over the outside, for simplicity of fitting. The question is - will you be staying in winter conditions below 0C? If so, with the simple ISOTOP you will need the heater on overnight. Even with the extreme one, if it's minus 12 C you'll need the heater on number 1 anyway. Hope this helps

Just as a comparison (I seriously looked at the ISOTOP), our Pucer cover takes about 3 mins to "fit" on the outside, offers decent insulation and almost total waterproofness. Used it in pretty extreme conditions (Scottish gales and near monsoons) - always been very good. £150.

Not wanting to dismiss the ISOTOP and if it WAS half the price, I'd probably get one but Brandrup is having a bit of a laugh with the price!

I must also say that the external Vanorak cover that we purchased a couple of years ago has been brilliant and well worth the money, I can't remember the cost now maybe £250? But we use the van all year round come rain or shine and the Vanorak ensures a comfortable night up top in the winter. Very quick and easy to fit as well.

Hi folks

I can see its a constant question and Martin and John referred to a new product due anytime soon. But I'll ask again. I was set on a vanorak with ears and then realised it was only any good for those that use the roof bars at max width which would result in my surfboards being spread across the motorway.

Looking for weather cover for 'up top' to keep the kids dry which should I go for? Criteria being keeping weather out and easy fitting increased warmth would be ideal but not top of the list.

Appreciate any advice

Matt

:thanks

Matt - search Pucer on here. I've put some pics of ours up. Ideal for those with roof bars, keeps the kids warmer up top, very easy to fit. Only mod needed is a small bungy cord; the one supplied is way too long. The best bit? £160 delivered.

Just took delivery of new IsoTop via dealer. Certainly dont look towards £500 worth in the bag?
Not fitted yet but will add to review when in use.

Hi all

We've had an IsoTop for a couple of years now. Overall I reckon it was way too expensive for what it does. It doesn't fit as well as it could, you have to be extra careful closing the roof and it makes the interior very dark in the daytime when the awning's out. The insulation value is limited although it does reduce draughts from the vents. And now the sticky fittings are starting to detach themselves too so it's getting to be a nightly re-sticking exercise before settling down! We were hoping for a bit more sound insulation for when we're stopping over in amongst the trucks with their fridge units running all night.

Good points are that it keeps the sun out at 04:30 hrs and the windows/ventilation still work when it's 25 degs at night.

Won't need to worry about that for a while now though...

Further to my above, now fitted, :headbang fits well with slight deviation/mod from final fitting instructions. The top front end if you use the hooks as per the instructions hangs quite badly?. Added a cable tie round the top of the front centre batten & 2 further ties from it quite 'loose' About 100mm long loop, 1 to each side to take the front 2 hooks on the elastics on each side of the Isotop. Pulls the front end up in a much neater order fitting closer to the bellows & works perfecly well opening & closing the roof with the isotop in place. Certainly holds the heat been in autumn nights brief lows of 0'c & survived without trauma. Never used without but still not sure its worth thick end of £500? Maybe consider others, but this works. :thumb

Can I ask what is the normal gap at the top / front of an isotop when successfully fitted? The push-in (SE / Ocean) front velcro hangers are about 2" long, so I suspect many have a gap.
I'm just trying to understand what's the normal range.

Cold weather is at the door... I'm trying to address the gap between the isotop and the ceiling at the sides.

Between the ring of the safety net and the tab inserted in the pocket of the bulge fabric towards the rear, the Velcro strap to which the isotop is attached, inevitably has some sag, up to almost an inch at the lowest point.

I was thinking of using a foam pipe isolation like this : pipe foam, cut to size between the tab and the ring. Of course it will be removed before closing the roof.
What do you guys reckon? terrible idea, will it work and have any effect, or worse will it stop the air circulation necessary to prevent moisture build up?
I haven't used the Cali in winter yet, so I want to get ready and will welcome any advice.

I do have the diesel heather, I do have a 2kw electric heather, I do have 0 deg Fahrenheit sleeping bags, but I want to tackle heat dissipation nevertheless.

I’ve got an Isotop sat waiting to be fitted. I wanted it a bit warmer and drier and plan to use a heater to raise the temperature as I want it installed for October half term. But I must admit these reviews on here are putting me off and I feel like sending it back and ordering something cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cold weather is at the door... I'm trying to address the gap between the isotop and the ceiling at the sides.

Between the ring of the safety net and the tab inserted in the pocket of the bulge fabric towards the rear, the Velcro strap to which the isotop is attached, inevitably has some sag, up to almost an inch at the lowest point.

I was thinking of using a foam pipe isolation like this : pipe foam, cut to size between the tab and the ring. Of course it will be removed before closing the roof.
What do you guys reckon? terrible idea, will it work and have any effect, or worse will it stop the air circulation necessary to prevent moisture build up?
I haven't used the Cali in winter yet, so I want to get ready and will welcome any advice.

I do have the diesel heather, I do have a 2kw electric heather, I do have 0 deg Fahrenheit sleeping bags, but I want to tackle heat dissipation nevertheless.

It's primary design is to stop the inside from getting wet, so better to upgrade the bedding (more layers) for more insulation / heat if you are not warm enough. The roof is always cooler than downstairs , so you could get the' snorkel that diverts the camping heater to upstairs but we have never found it necessary.

It's primary design is to stop the inside from getting wet, so better to upgrade the bedding (more layers) for more insulation / heat if you are not warm enough. The roof is always cooler than downstairs , so you could get the' snorkel that diverts the camping heater to upstairs but we have never found it necessary.
I have the snorkel as well and I've found it great.
With the new fabric the inside of the bulge doesn't get wet anyway and I've tested in many days sleeping when it was raining. I believe the purpose of the Isotop is to increase thermal insulation, with side benefit of additional darkness .

I love our isotop. It has made a difference in temp for us, at the moment in UK I’m sleeping under a 4 tog summer quilt. The biggest differences we’ve noticed is that it’s blocked out cold winds and it’s lovely and dark.

It’s much more convenient for us than an external topper as we put the roof up and down a lot, either driving off/out or leaving the van in places that aren’t secure enough to leave the top up.

We’re thinking of maybe using a topper as well if it’s really wet/snowy and we’re staying put for a bit, but I really can’t be doing with stowing a wet topper. When we get solar panels a Cali topper will be no good and don’t want bulky side panel type ones.

Out of interest, how waterproof is the isotop? If you've got a soaking wet canvas from a heavy night of rain, can you put the roof down, drive around and then have dry bedding afterwards?

Out of interest, how waterproof is the isotop? If you've got a soaking wet canvas from a heavy night of rain, can you put the roof down, drive around and then have dry bedding afterwards?

Yes, its a bit like a goretex jacket so will prevent any moisture wicking through from the van canvas. Material seems very similar to goretex which might explain the cost.

I believe the early models were true Gortex and labelled so.

My Mk5 version has a black backing to it which is more like plastic than I was expecting. It’s doesn’t feel like the inside or outside of goretex. Not convinced it’s breathable....

My Mk5 version has a black backing to it which is more like plastic than I was expecting. It’s doesn’t feel like the inside or outside of goretex. Not convinced it’s breathable....

It does say on the Brandrup site ‘highly breathable’ so I could be wrong?!

Interestingly for those interested. The MkV version for my Beach does away with the tricky velcro tabs which get pushed into the gap in the roof lining. It now has elasticated corners on the Isotop in the rear which you push around the corners of the roof lining piece. I’ve not fitted mine yet but I’ll report back on how that goes.

Not tried it yet, but I believe so. Your bedding will be dry but you will still need to lift the top asp to allow the canvas to dry. If it stays down too long it will get fusty and smell at best, then maybe go moldy.