Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

negative opinion from other in family re our purchase.....

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi all

I have two brothers who both have or have had much caravanning experience. I mentioned to one of them (we are all over 60 btw! ) that we were in the process of getting our new cali and he just couldnt grasp why we would want to do this, rather than save bundles and get a second hand conversion (if we must have one rather than a caravan of course) . it is apparent that family members in particular, feel they know better than me (and i have spent a lot of time doing research before going ahead) and have the right to advise caution and express concern. No 1 brother has chatted to my twin brother, who has rung me up to tell me that I must be mad, that he knows loads of folk with 'VW campervans' in North Devon where we live and they are all quite content with their conversions. You don't see many californias' because they are too expensive and sensible people don't get them. I spent a good while counterbalancing all of his negatives but came to realise that he was not really listening at all because he 'knows he is right'. He has told me that high mileage as a result of having the cali as my only vehicle will result in terrible resale potential, VW vans are renowned for cam belt failure (whatever that is). the petrol/running cost will be extortionate, I will have an awful time driving/parking it because it is not a small car. The most offensive thing seems to be that we have opted to buy a new one?

I told him that I know he cares and wants only the best for me, and reassured him that after renting one next weekend, should we hate the experience, or I be uncomfortable driving it, then we can always cancel our order.

THE THING IS.... after listening to all this B..s..t, I feel brought low, down and fed up. Am i really naive, impulsive and a spendthrift? I sense that even if we love our van and use it all the time, we will be met by sneers and sarcasm each time. I cant believe this is jealousy on their part. 60 yr old bro keeps a powerful motorbike and I felt like telling him just what i thought about that, but held my tongue.

we are lucky in that we have just been able to afford it without taking finance, it has cleaned out savings but I am sure we can afford to run. I am not sure what I am asking here, but feeling self doubt and could do with some positive feedback I think? VW owners are the right people to ask for a 'virtual hug' BTW, our cali's build week was this week... and we should have it before Xmas.

thanks

Just jealous chitchat.

If you feel good by buying a California, and even better, going on trips with it, then all the rest is just plain bollx.

Don't go to them for showing your California. And when they want to have a look at it, just let them look at it from the outside, they are not interested in it, so they don't need to see the inside?
Just let them discover it themselves that you have the van.

Take them to the show room and let them see for themselves.

Jealous for definite.

Unfortunate but sadly all to common. We've got it from Mr LemonDrop's side of the family :rolleyes: That's their problem.

Get your van, enjoy it (and boy will you), be comforted by the fact that it will depreciate slowly, is a fantastic asset in all senses of the word...and don't discuss it with them anymore, move the conversation on asap if it comes up again (and it probably will).

Welcome to the Cali family :D :welcome

Hi all

I have two brothers who both have or have had much caravanning experience. I mentioned to one of them (we are all over 60 btw! ) that we were in the process of getting our new cali and he just couldnt grasp why we would want to do this, rather than save bundles and get a second hand conversion (if we must have one rather than a caravan of course) . it is apparent that family members in particular, feel they know better than me (and i have spent a lot of time doing research before going ahead) and have the right to advise caution and express concern. No 1 brother has chatted to my twin brother, who has rung me up to tell me that I must be mad, that he knows loads of folk with 'VW campervans' in North Devon where we live and they are all quite content with their conversions. You don't see many californias' because they are too expensive and sensible people don't get them. I spent a good while counterbalancing all of his negatives but came to realise that he was not really listening at all because he 'knows he is right'. He has told me that high mileage as a result of having the cali as my only vehicle will result in terrible resale potential, VW vans are renowned for cam belt failure (whatever that is). the petrol/running cost will be extortionate, I will have an awful time driving/parking it because it is not a small car. The most offensive thing seems to be that we have opted to buy a new one?

I told him that I know he cares and wants only the best for me, and reassured him that after renting one next weekend, should we hate the experience, or I be uncomfortable driving it, then we can always cancel our order.

THE THING IS.... after listening to all this B..s..t, I feel brought low, down and fed up. Am i really naive, impulsive and a spendthrift? I sense that even if we love our van and use it all the time, we will be met by sneers and sarcasm each time. I cant believe this is jealousy on their part. 60 yr old bro keeps a powerful motorbike and I felt like telling him just what i thought about that, but held my tongue.

we are lucky in that we have just been able to afford it without taking finance, it has cleaned out savings but I am sure we can afford to run. I am not sure what I am asking here, but feeling self doubt and could do with some positive feedback I think? VW owners are the right people to ask for a 'virtual hug' BTW, our cali's build week was this week... and we should have it before Xmas.

thanks
Frustrating stuff. Hold the high ground. Buy a drone, set up an Instagram account purely for your Campervan adventures and quietly brag about your wonderful ventures that would be impossible to do towing a caravan around.
Enjoy the journey!
0FAD6921-FD2A-47FD-95D9-CA2E68D829E9.jpeg

Thanks to you all who have replied so quick. it is painful to get this from family who love you 'and only want the best for you' and it is true that back in time when i was much younger, i was very impulsive and somewhat chaotic in regard to 'lifestyle' choices.... so I perhaps I am a little oversensitive now and should take comments with a pinch of salt rather than have self doubt. Getting the Cali is now the most adventurous and most exciting thing I have done in years. Steve, other half can no longer fly, and this seems such an ideal way to explore our wonderful west country, at least to start with, progressing further afield as we get into it. although over 60 just, we are both fit and healthy and I am hoping the spontaneity that the van will enable will encourage enjoying journeying and exploring.

I'm sure that their friends are happy with their conversions, in the same way that they are happy with their caravans. It is just such a shame that they don't seem to have listened to why this is right for you.
I was sceptical, but the build quality and well thought out design convinced me that for me, an Ocean was best. For other people conversions might be fine, but they weren't cheaper, so I'd rather go for the certainty. The same with a caravan. It seems such a faff when they're trying to leave the campsite, and we like to use our van for day trips as well as holidays.
As for the milage, there are a load of people on here who also use their vans as a daily driver. For us, I love being in the van, and want to use it whenever I can. I'll worry about the residuals later.
I'm so glad that we made the decision we did, and haven't for a minute regretted it.

I hope you enjoy your van, and that your family will realise that the number one thing is that it makes you happy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Green eyed monster comes to mind, plus what a load of tosh they are talking.

Ignore ignore ignore

We need to remember that caravanners are a totally different breed to us, my brother has a caravan and his idea of a holiday is to stay on the same pitch for a fortnight with a satellite dish on a tripod next to the caravan, he has an onboard bathroom but still uses the campsite facilities.

Caravanners are weird folk which I try to avoid at all costs and that includes my brother

We are both early 60s, bought our Cali in 2016. Live on Dartmoor.

We carefully considered our options before buying Grace.
Looked at Motorhomes(hired one),campervan conversions & finally hired “Ruby” Cali from Martin .
We nearly bought a FORD Terrier campervan conversion by Wellhouse.
We carefully costed the California V Conversion.

One of the biggest reason for buying the Cali was the extended 5 yr warranty (must purchase within 3 mths of delivery/registration from factory) & service plan available.
The support/information on this forum was also a factor.
No regrets. Just returned from 25 days road trip round the UK. Loving Cali life.

Thanks to you all who have replied so quick. it is painful to get this from family who love you 'and only want the best for you' and it is true that back in time when i was much younger, i was very impulsive and somewhat chaotic in regard to 'lifestyle' choices.... so I perhaps I am a little oversensitive now and should take comments with a pinch of salt rather than have self doubt. Getting the Cali is now the most adventurous and most exciting thing I have done in years. Steve, other half can no longer fly, and this seems such an ideal way to explore our wonderful west country, at least to start with, progressing further afield as we get into it. although over 60 just, we are both fit and healthy and I am hoping the spontaneity that the van will enable will encourage enjoying journeying and exploring.
Over 60, youngsters. I'm 70 in 4 weeks and planning my 4th trip to Norway. Mines my daily driver and the family car and we've covered 88,000 miles since new at the end of 2014. Yes, some conversions can be cheaper but they are often using 2'nd hand Transporters and some are very questionable conversions. If you go to the Top Converters then you can end up paying the same for a new vehicle + conversion but nothing, and I mean nothing, holds it's resale value as the VW California. Just enjoy it. Find a nice camping site/ CL site, down narrow lanes etc:next to a beach and invite them along for a family weekend gathering with their caravans. You should have some interesting conversations when/if they get there.:thumb

We purchased our Beach in May and have already covered 6,000 miles.
Why worry about using something you've purchased, doesn't make sense to me.
What's stranger is buying a caravan and letting it sit on the drive for 10 months of the year.
We use the Cali 'Freida' as a second car so depriciation would happen anyway if we didn't have Frieda but only on another vehicle.
Already had endless trips to Norfolk , music festivals and visits to Europe.
Just back from Austria and Switzerland, booking today ferry to Spain for a two wk Easter break in to Portugal and already planning for next summers tour of Croatia.
I also echo views on covered Van's, I did check this route out but if you want a decent spec I.e 150bhp and Dsg gearbox then by the time converter has purchased and converted, price savings are small. I also like having the vehicle and habitation area under manufacturer warranty.
Yes we all know Cali's are expensive but the better things in life normally are.
We don't regret it for one minute

We are just waiting to collect our yr old Beach. I just turned 39 (midlife crisis...maybe) we have 3 young children. I have always been the black sheep of my family with dubious and often unwise decision making. When I told my parents and siblings I was spending essentially 40k on a camper I expected much the reaction you got from your family.
The fact that the well known strong residuals, build quality and more over the adventure it will lend our young family (my kids are 3,5&6) turned into an only supportive reaction from my parents, parent in law (who are now looking themselves) and my older brothers is testament that they are not a crazy purchase. Have faith in your decision and enjoy all the time you have in your van. Once your family see your happiness they will come round too!

The poor things. They really don't understand.

If they like holding up the traffic for mile upon mile, if they feel at home watching their favourite soaps whilst being cosseted in wall to wall chintz, if they like doing the regular walk of shame with the poo trolley, if the like creating a large bungalow with an enormous awning or reversing their rig competitions around the club flag, then fine.

However, tell them that the California is for discerning people who are young at heart and know quality when they see it. It's not built of cardboard and feathers but properly made by a manufacturer who has been at it for decades. Unlike caravans and conversions, they hold their value extremely well and enable their owners to go anywhere at the drop of a hat. There's no faffing around hitching up the horse or working out the correct tow hitch weight or the angle of the dangle and it certainly won't spent most of it's life going green, idle in someones orchard either. Another lesser known advantage of a cali is, if you are unlucky enough to have an accident in a Cali you won't spent the next week picking up the pieces!:thumb

Last edited:
Hi all

thanks

I know loads of people who have had conversions, probably more than all the owners who own conversions in North Devon, and they are all on here now happily driving California's!

Welcome to the home of over 15,000 Cali owners. Now, in our collective madness, why do we all opt for a California instead of a conversion?

One reason is they are cheaper to own, being the lowest depreciating vehicle of any description on the market. Why waste a fortune spending on something similar to VW, watching it go up in smoke in depreciation, where your Cali would still be holding its value?

Then of course who repairs your conversion when it goes wrong? Haul it all the way back to where you bought it from instead of popping into the local VW dealer?

Then there is "from the wheels up" integration, not like a conversion which is boxes put on whatever shape, size and specification the base vehicle comes in. I'm not knocking conversions, there are some brilliant ones out there, but by the time you have costed the base vehicle then all the bits that go on it to buy off a premium convertor is not much different to buying a new Cali.

There is of course the big, wide Cali family, 15,000 of us on here alone, all ready to support whatever the problem. Three weeks ago there was a couple in Cirencester who came knocking on the door asking could I help them with their maiden voyage California .... "yes, no problem, the reason you can't get gas is because of this little lever here"........... easy sorted.

I've had Conversions, A-Class motorhomes and now on my second Cali. If people thought I was stark staring bonkers when I bought my first one brand new 6 years ago they are not now when I remind them that the ownership cost as measured in depreciation was about the same as it would have been had I bought a Ford Focus!

Keep the faith. You have many many happy years of camping in front of you whilst all the miserable gits can do is sit at home chuntering away looking at the rain streaming down their windows whilst wishing they had the freedom to go where the fancy takes them, just like you have!

Jen

Last edited:
People have the right to be wrong, and it sounds like your brothers are exercising their rights.

The Cali is no larger than a big car, but it is taller.
Some conversions may be cheaper to buy, but they lose a lot more when when you sell.
Running costs are in line with other large cars.

Nothing else is as flexible, well equipped or as good to drive.

I can understand why their comments have taken the shine off your new purchase, but their comments do not have the benefit of your research.

Just remember to enjoy the moment when one of them asks to borrow it for a weekend!!

I don't agree with others saying they are jealous. I think it's ignorance.

My younger brother and I were very critical of number 2 brother when he bought a Chrysler Grand Voyager 15 years ago. Fifteen years on and he still uses as his family car with his four children. My younger brother and I simply didn't understand how he'd use it and thought it a great extravagance.

Life is too short, and no-one knows what's around the corner.
We had a conversion but had to sell it a few years ago before moving abroad.
We're maybe 2 weeks away from receiving our new Cali. We only had to sit in one to appreciate the difference, and I am in absolutely no doubt that we (and yourselves) have made the right decision. We went for new because the price difference for someone else's Cali seemed incredibly low.
My brother also thinks I'm mad and feels we should just hire one when we need one. He has no idea just how much pleasure owning a camper van (even more so a California) and cherishing it can bring!
We wish you all the very best with your new purchase.

PS. There is no way you will ever see me towing a caravan (except maybe one of the amazing Barefoot's with a toilet and shower when we're a lot older (nearly 60 now!!)

People have the right to be wrong, and it sounds like your brothers are exercising their rights.

The Cali is no larger than a big car, but it is taller.
Some conversions may be cheaper to buy, but they lose a lot more when when you sell.
Running costs are in line with other large cars.

Nothing else is as flexible, well equipped or as good to drive.

I can understand why their comments have taken the shine off your new purchase, but their comments do not have the benefit of your research.

Just remember to enjoy the moment when one of them asks to borrow it for a weekend!!
If the wise all knowing family members are paying for the most popular camper in Europe then fair play their opinions are to be listened too, otherwise nah.

lots of lovely replies. I must agree that my brothers are blinkered and biased from having caravans and can see that it is indeed ignorance rather than envy that is behind it, and it brings to mind a quote 'There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is contempt prior to investigation." hmm