Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BRITTANY FERRIES COVID 19 REFUND VOUCHER

Probably, if they don’t cancel your crossing. However you might get a refund via your credit card, if you used that for the booking. Anyway, I doubt if French Passport Control would allow you to board, would they?
In any event the crossing is open to freight so I can't imagine my crossing will be cancelled. As for the French Passport Control? Yes, I expect them to be pretty strict. Oh well, will transfer booking to Oct/Dec 2020 and see if rules are relaxed by then. In the meantime I am more than grateful for this wonderful weather we are having at the moment. (Thx your reply btw)

@larrylamb , I think you will find your Eurotunnel ticket is a credit for twelve months from date of purchase not from date of original departure.
I am happy for you to tell me I am wrong!
Ok, I booked with the Caravan Club for travel in July. They are saying I can rebook those dates for next year but I have to temporarily reschedule a crossing for later this year first, presumably to qualify within the 12months like you said. I think they are still working it out between them how it's going to work but they said not to worry. :oops:
I have left it open for July at the moment even though the chances are very slim.

Ok, I booked with the Caravan Club for travel in July. They are saying I can rebook those dates for next year but I have to temporarily reschedule a crossing for later this year first, presumably to qualify within the 12months like you said. I think they are still working it out between them how it's going to work but they said not to worry. :oops:
I have left it open for July at the moment even though the chances are very slim.
I would wait until 2 or 3 weeks beforehand. If they cancel then you should be due a refund.

I have a Swimtrek holiday booked for mid-June. E-mail last week.
If I cancel, Voucher lasting until December 2022, but may have to pay top-up, re-book for travel upto December 2021 at same cost, so no top-up.
If they cancel, Voucher until 31st March 2021. If I use said voucher before that date 10% off booking and if I don’t then Full Cash Refund.

Money held and voucher issued by ABTOT . I’ve checked and Swimtrek are members

This seems reasonable to me as they are a small company we’ve used before.

We have to book our own flights and they are with BA. I can’t see that happening but we fly frequently with them so if they offer a voucher with a long date, then fine.

We had booked on Northern Ferries to go to Shetlands a d Orkneys. We were refunded straight away, they were superb plus our campsite in Lerwick.
Can't stress how great it was.

We had to cancel our overnight ferry from Italy to Greece with Anek Lines (because of the lock down). They offered us the option to rebook or have a refund even though our ticket was non refundable. I phoned them, they answered straight away, I asked for a refund and the money was back in my accounts two days later. Brilliant!

Red funnel, running ferries on arguably the most expensive water crossing in the world quite probably can afford to refund pretty quickly. Reckon they make a decent enough profit with around 3mil passengers a year on a total of 7 bats
Easy jet with pretty slim margins offering cheap flights are A massively different story 70 plus mil passengers with 300 plus aircraft all, so numbers needing refunds massively different.
Knocking companies like queasy jet and paddy air too much for asking passengers to take credit notes might be counter productive. Just think last year UK to Spain £50 return, with no easy or Ryan next year same trip £250 minimum

Red funnel, running ferries on arguably the most expensive water crossing in the world quite probably can afford to refund pretty quickly. Reckon they make a decent enough profit with around 3mil passengers a year on a total of 7 bats
Easy jet with pretty slim margins offering cheap flights are A massively different story 70 plus mil passengers with 300 plus aircraft all, so numbers needing refunds massively different.
Knocking companies like queasy jet and paddy air too much for asking passengers to take credit notes might be counter productive. Just think last year UK to Spain £50 return, with no easy or Ryan next year same trip £250 minimum
Are we talking about the same Ryanair that made over a Billion Euro profit last year?

Are we talking about the same Ryanair that made over a Billion Euro profit last year?

Yes, and the notion that Ryanair and Easyjet have thin profit margins doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny. Ryanair's PBT to revenues was about 12% in 2019, Easyjet's about 9% which is closer to the industry average for airlines.

But the issue they're all facing right now will be cash, not accounting profit.

(I'm not defending them - after a shocking experience with Ryanair 15 years ago I've never flown with them since - but we need to be realistic.)

Yes, and the notion that Ryanair and Easyjet have thin profit margins doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny. Ryanair's PBT to revenues was about 12% in 2019, Easyjet's about 9% which is closer to the industry average for airlines.

But the issue they're all facing right now will be cash, not accounting profit.

(I'm not defending them - after a shocking experience with Ryanair 15 years ago I've never flown with them since - but we need to be realistic.)
I'm grumbling because, yes I am waiting for a refund for cancelled March flights but after 2 claims for cash refund I now have a voucher as the refund dept are unable to work due to covid apparently.

Last edited:
In any event the crossing is open to freight so I can't imagine my crossing will be cancelled. As for the French Passport Control? Yes, I expect them to be pretty strict. Oh well, will transfer booking to Oct/Dec 2020 and see if rules are relaxed by then. In the meantime I am more than grateful for this wonderful weather we are having at the moment. (Thx your reply btw)
I would expect you not to be allowed to board or if so then turned around on arrival. French require sight of a printed “Attestation” staying your reason for travel. Leisure isn’t an option.

I presume you cancelled the ferry?

If Brittany Ferries had cancelled or Government or EU travel restrictions had prevented you travelling then you would have got a full refund.
As it was your decision I don't believe they are required to give a cash refund.
We were booked for 6 weeks in France, travelling on 18 May 2020, and both ferry and campsite were booked through the CAMC. The French government shut down included our campsite until 30th May, and their Foreign Offfice website says to avoid non-essential travel. There is also a warning that one could be turned back at the border.
Discussing this with the Club, I was advised, “If it were me, I would cancel “, and this is what I did.
We are not prepared to accept a B/Ferries voucher because:
(a) we are in our mid-80’s, and cannot be sure that a preventative medical condition may not arise in the interim.
(b) depending on economic circumstances when restrictions are lifted - e.g., EU countries to the east of France being “clear” earlier - we might wish to take the Channel Tunnel route instead.
At present there is a lot of conflicting information around, but I understand that a monetary refund can be legally requested. The best I have found at the moment is from ABTA, who advise that a travel voucher can be later demanded in cash before the expiry date of the voucher.

We were booked for 6 weeks in France, travelling on 18 May 2020, and both ferry and campsite were booked through the CAMC. The French government shut down included our campsite until 30th May, and their Foreign Offfice website says to avoid non-essential travel. There is also a warning that one could be turned back at the border.
Discussing this with the Club, I was advised, “If it were me, I would cancel “, and this is what I did.
We are not prepared to accept a B/Ferries voucher because:
(a) we are in our mid-80’s, and cannot be sure that a preventative medical condition may not arise in the interim.
(b) depending on economic circumstances when restrictions are lifted - e.g., EU countries to the east of France being “clear” earlier - we might wish to take the Channel Tunnel route instead.
At present there is a lot of conflicting information around, but I understand that a monetary refund can be legally requested. The best I have found at the moment is from ABTA, who advise that a travel voucher can be later demanded in cash before the expiry date of the voucher.

I hope you get lucky with Brittany Ferries but I think it really does hinge on whether you cancelled, or the ferry company did. Any advice you received from CAMC can't be relied on as legally reliable, I'm afraid.

This is basically what travel insurance is for. If you have to cancel a trip because you can't realistically go ahead on the day (eg because the FCO advises against non-essential travel, or you can't enter the destination country because eg they change the visa requirements, or you are taken ill), but the ferry/airline operator or whatever could still have taken you and so are still entitled to their payment, you then claim your losses back through your insurance policy.

Thanks for your comments, Velma’s Dad.
I think the principle here is that the need to cancel was forced upon us by government advice, and B/Ferries are not operating in a strictly honourable manner.
When the French government initiated lock-down, with clear advice to avoid all non-essential travel (initially until April 30th) B/F amended their timetables to restart on 22nd April. When that lock-down was moved to the end of May, B/F changed their timetables to restart in mid-May. So they were offering travel during the French government’s instructions (supported by our own UK government) at dates when prospective travellers had been warned that they could be turned back at ports.
Also, regardless of the unpresidented situation, B/F were operating cancellation rules as normal, which meant substantial reductions in returnable percentage of fare and this increased dramatically as the travel date was approached. I think this was why CAMC advised cancellation immediately.
It could be argued that B/F (a) knowingly contrived to fulfil travel journeys against the advice of higher authorities, and (b) are trying to compare standard cancellation charges with cancellations that have been forced upon the customer by higher authority, and without any real choice.
In addition, were we to travel on the 18th May, as booked, there is already the warning that we may well be stopped at the port of entry (St Malo for us) and, in any case, our booked campsite (through CAMC) is closed until the end of May under French government ruling. So we would still have nowhere to stay!

Thanks for your comments, Velma’s Dad.
I think the principle here is that the need to cancel was forced upon us by government advice, and B/Ferries are not operating in a strictly honourable manner.
When the French government initiated lock-down, with clear advice to avoid all non-essential travel (initially until April 30th) B/F amended their timetables to restart on 22nd April. When that lock-down was moved to the end of May, B/F changed their timetables to restart in mid-May. So they were offering travel during the French government’s instructions (supported by our own UK government) at dates when prospective travellers had been warned that they could be turned back at ports.
Also, regardless of the unpresidented situation, B/F were operating cancellation rules as normal, which meant substantial reductions in returnable percentage of fare and this increased dramatically as the travel date was approached. I think this was why CAMC advised cancellation immediately.
It could be argued that B/F (a) knowingly contrived to fulfil travel journeys against the advice of higher authorities, and (b) are trying to compare standard cancellation charges with cancellations that have been forced upon the customer by higher authority, and without any real choice.
In addition, were we to travel on the 18th May, as booked, there is already the warning that we may well be stopped at the port of entry (St Malo for us) and, in any case, our booked campsite (through CAMC) is closed until the end of May under French government ruling. So we would still have nowhere to stay!

The case you outline against Brittany Ferries sounds very tenuous TBH. You talk about such notions as 'higher authorities' but unfortunately that isn't as far, as I can see anyway, material to your contract with the company, who are still in a position to take you to St Malo on 18 May, even though you aren't now in a position to travel, for reasons outside your control but certainly not the fault of the company either.

In the end, unless Brittany ferries decided to make a goodwill gesture, I suspect you're stuck with it, but good luck anyway. Let us know how you get on.

Meanwhile I can only commiserate. Unfortunately I'm sure a big proportion of people on this forum are in similar positions with travel plans. Just as example, over the next three months we're having to almost certainly going to have to forfeit the cost of two air tickets to Latin America, plus a Channel ferry ticket ferry crossings after that, and some UK hotel bookings for an event also. However we may be able to put together a travel insurance claim (we run an annual travel insurance policy, which I I haven't had to claim on for about 15 years but I'm hoping will be of this some use this year).

re travel insurance. I have an annual policy due to expire beginning of July shortly before this years summer holiday in Europe. The holiday is unlikely to go ahead due to restrictions. I may have to claim for tickets and sites I cannot use.
Do i claim on this policy which expires before planned trip ( it was booked during this period of insurance) or do I claim on my next policy due to start shortly before planned trip?? I don't think the next policy will cover me as I know Its unlikely the holiday will happen. Am I making sense?

re travel insurance. I have an annual policy due to expire beginning of July shortly before this years summer holiday in Europe. The holiday is unlikely to go ahead due to restrictions. I may have to claim for tickets and sites I cannot use.
Do i claim on this policy which expires before planned trip ( it was booked during this period of insurance) or do I claim on my next policy due to start shortly before planned trip?? I don't think the next policy will cover me as I know Its unlikely the holiday will happen. Am I making sense?

Not 100% sure but I would have said you'd be claiming against next year's policy, ie the one in which the trip was due to take place.

Unfortunately, you may very well not be able to claim because at least some of the travel insurers (I assume all) have withdrawn coronavirus risks from 'new' policies and I'm guessing that will include renewals of existing ones. That's certainly the case with my insurer InsureAndGo, anyway.

The case you outline against Brittany Ferries sounds very tenuous TBH. You talk about such notions as 'higher authorities' but unfortunately that isn't as far, as I can see anyway, material to your contract with the company, who are still in a position to take you to St Malo on 18 May, even though you aren't now in a position to travel, for reasons outside your control but certainly not the fault of the company either.

In the end, unless Brittany ferries decided to make a goodwill gesture, I suspect you're stuck with it, but good luck anyway. Let us know how you get on.

Meanwhile I can only commiserate. Unfortunately I'm sure a big proportion of people on this forum are in similar positions with travel plans. Just as example, over the next three months we're having to almost certainly going to have to forfeit the cost of two air tickets to Latin America, plus a Channel ferry ticket ferry crossings after that, and some UK hotel bookings for an event also. However we may be able to put together a travel insurance claim (we run an annual travel insurance policy, which I I haven't had to claim on for about 15 years but I'm hoping will be of this some use this year).

I’m so glad you all have the dilemma of do I claim now or later and iv had a refund or it’s in Vouchers! Think yourself lucky you’re not in hospital suffering like all the other people or even dead! I bet they would swap with you.

I’m so glad you all have the dilemma of do I claim now or later and iv had a refund or it’s in Vouchers! Think yourself lucky you’re not in hospital suffering like all the other people or even dead! I bet they would swap with you.

Forum members are entitled to chat about any practicalities of the emergency situation, with no implied disrespect to anyone more profoundly affected by it.

If you don't want to read about this sort of discussion, maybe don't click on a thread titled "Brittany Ferries Covid 19 refund voucher".

I’m so glad you all have the dilemma of do I claim now or later
Thats a bit of a rant isn't it Billywizz
Of course you could apply that to many posts if you wanted to
but it would drive you mad.

Nothing wrong with people asking for advise in my view.

Forum members are entitled to chat about any practicalities of the emergency situation, with no implied disrespect to anyone more profoundly affected by it.

If you don't want to read about this sort of discussion, maybe don't click on a thread titled "Brittany Ferries Covid 19 refund voucher".
And I’m entitled to an opinion!

Thats a bit of a rant isn't it Billywizz
Of course you could apply that to many posts if you wanted to
but it would drive you mad.

Nothing wrong with people asking for advise in my view.
And nothing wrong with me having an opinion!

And nothing wrong with me having an opinion!
Nothing at all but if i had a nearest and dearest affected with the Corona, i
wouldn't be on a camper van forum looking to put a dampener on things.

Back