Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BRITTANY FERRIES COVID 19 REFUND VOUCHER

Nothing at all but if i had a nearest and dearest affected with the Corona, i
wouldn't be on a camper van forum looking to put a dampener on things.
Of course you wouldn’t.

Not 100% sure but I would have said you'd be claiming against next year's policy, ie the one in which the trip was due to take place.

Unfortunately, you may very well not be able to claim because at least some of the travel insurers (I assume all) have withdrawn coronavirus risks from 'new' policies and I'm guessing that will include renewals of existing ones. That's certainly the case with my insurer InsureAndGo, anyway.
According to Aviva (who have stopped selling new policies) it seems you can renew with the existing cover, so I’ll be renewing our policy in August to protect against cancellation of flights we have booked for October which may be cancelled after August. Hence it pays to renew rather than shop around at the moment. It’ll be interesting to see how much they hike the premium.

We also have a relatively expensive Brittany booking via CAMC on 16 May and atm their website says commercial traffic only until 15 May, so waiting to hear the position on that. You can bet a voucher won’t buy you the same trip next year.

According to Aviva (who have stopped selling new policies) it seems you can renew with the existing cover, so I’ll be renewing our policy in August to protect against cancellation of flights we have booked for October which may be cancelled after August. Hence it pays to renew rather than shop around at the moment. It’ll be interesting to see how much they hike the premium.

We also have a relatively expensive Brittany booking via CAMC on 16 May and atm their website says commercial traffic only until 15 May, so waiting to hear the position on that. You can bet a voucher won’t buy you the same trip next year.

Thanks, that's really interesting that Aviva are letting you renew with the existing cover.

I just had a look at their website and from my read of it you would indeed be okay for a trip booked before the crisis became a 'Known Event' (many of the insurers are taking that to be 11 or 12 March), even if the annual policy had to be renewed in between, but almost certainly not if you'd gone ahead and made the booking after that.

I also checked what the FCA is saying to insurers about what they should be doing. This is from the FCA website:
"If the claim arises after the renewal date, we would expect insurers to treat customers fairly, taking individual circumstances into account. This includes where the policyholder was given a reasonable expectation that cover would continue. Where appropriate, renew or consider claims under the terms of the original policy for these travel arrangements."

Insurance is always such a minefield!

Hello again, Velma’s Dad. Reporting back as promised. Today my bookings for B/Ferries and campsite in France, booked through the CAMC, were refunded to my bank account in full to the last penny. This leaves us in the position to use this money for planning alternative holidays when the lock-down is lifted.
I have retained our overseas health insurance which the Company has placed on hold until we wish to restore it. Cashing in would have cost us a £46 cancellation fee, but reinstating it later gives us the same cover without further costs. If we did eventually decide to take the refund, the balance would be refunded at the present cancellation value, and without any further increase in the fee.
This is good value, as taking the refund then renewing later would almost certainly result in a higher premium. I accept that a risk exists in that we are relying on the Company not going into administration.

Hello again, Velma’s Dad. Reporting back as promised. Today my bookings for B/Ferries and campsite in France, booked through the CAMC, were refunded to my bank account in full to the last penny. This leaves us in the position to use this money for planning alternative holidays when the lock-down is lifted.
I have retained our overseas health insurance which the Company has placed on hold until we wish to restore it. Cashing in would have cost us a £46 cancellation fee, but reinstating it later gives us the same cover without further costs. If we did eventually decide to take the refund, the balance would be refunded at the present cancellation value, and without any further increase in the fee.
This is good value, as taking the refund then renewing later would almost certainly result in a higher premium. I accept that a risk exists in that we are relying on the Company not going into administration.

Great news on the ferries etc. I was obviously too pessimistic and/or you were very persuasive with them!

On the travel insurance, seems like it's definitely worth having careful discussions with your insurer when you approach renewal time. We're lucky enough that our current policy runs until late July.

Not sure what to think of our situation. 18 of us due to fly out to Barcelona for a Stag Party (all sensible and grown men). The air company have offered us a credit note to be used in the future, but we cannot split it, we all have to travel as a group for it to be used. Which is impossible. I’m not the organiser so will wait to see what happens :rolleyes:

Not sure what to think of our situation. 18 of us due to fly out to Barcelona for a Stag Party (all sensible and grown men). The air company have offered us a credit note to be used in the future, but we cannot split it, we all have to travel as a group for it to be used. Which is impossible. I’m not the organiser so will wait to see what happens :rolleyes:
There was a news report about airlines the other day. So many cancellations and the refund bill would run into billions - they simply don't have the cash. Instead they are issuing credit notes, hoping not to have to issue refunds.

Great news on the ferries etc. I was obviously too pessimistic and/or you were very persuasive with them!

On the travel insurance, seems like it's definitely worth having careful discussions with your insurer when you approach renewal time. We're lucky enough that our current policy runs until late July.
From what I have heard, we seem to be among the fortunate ones.
The travel insurance policy will not need to be renewed - just the insurers lifting the “on hold” situation when we eventually choose a new date. With luck, and a fair wind, that will hopefully be for the same May-June period next year, and at the same campsite - a campsite which we like and have visited several times.

I have been pondering what the situation might look like once travel and holiday restrictions for us going to the EU are lifted. What percentage of would-be tourists will resume taking overseas holidays, against the numbers who may decide not to trust government/medical opinion?
Will travel operators and tourist accommodation sites try to recover by applying healthily ambitious rates, or will they be forced into making generous offers to get the tourists back? Of the businesses that rely on tourists to spend their money, some will reopen and some will collapse - as yet nobody knows what the “new normal” will look like. And equally unknown is how our economies and incomes will, or will not, provide us with the finances needed to support such holidays.
For most of us, it is quite possible that even well travelled people going to familiar places will meet situations akin to that first time abroad feeling.
The only thing we can hope and pray for, is that nothing like this ever happens again.

Read on a French report that Brittany Ferries will be offering a refund as it seems that there has been Direction with reference to the European Regulations made Officially to them that they were in breach. Say that an announcement is being made. Choice between a refund and credit to be given.

Last edited:
I saw in the news the morning that the Competition and Markets Authority is flexing its muscles on the whole issue of cancellations/refunds so it will be interesting to see where that goes.

I have been pondering what the situation might look like once travel and holiday restrictions for us going to the EU are lifted. What percentage of would-be tourists will resume taking overseas holidays, against the numbers who may decide not to trust government/medical opinion?
Will travel operators and tourist accommodation sites try to recover by applying healthily ambitious rates, or will they be forced into making generous offers to get the tourists back? Of the businesses that rely on tourists to spend their money, some will reopen and some will collapse - as yet nobody knows what the “new normal” will look like. And equally unknown is how our economies and incomes will, or will not, provide us with the finances needed to support such holidays.
For most of us, it is quite possible that even well travelled people going to familiar places will meet situations akin to that first time abroad feeling.
The only thing we can hope and pray for, is that nothing like this ever happens again.
You never know these travel organisations may even stop ripping people off during school Holidays !

However I doubt it.

These companies should not be able to have it both ways, over inflation of pricing during peak times ( school holidays)
when you book, you book on the understanding that should the company not be able to provide the services you paid for ( regardless of the situation) you are entitled to a refund, (U.K. law) not a credit note, that may well be useless when undoubtedly some of these companies fold.

Time for the travel companies in general to clean up their acts and stop treating the customer with contempt?

You never know these travel organisations may even stop ripping people off during school Holidays !

However I doubt it.

These companies should not be able to have it both ways, over inflation of pricing during peak times ( school holidays)
when you book, you book on the understanding that should the company not be able to provide the services you paid for ( regardless of the situation) you are entitled to a refund, (U.K. law) not a credit note, that may well be useless when undoubtedly some of these companies fold.

Time for the travel companies in general to clean up their acts and stop treating the customer with contempt?
The only alternative to supply and demand ratios determining price in a market economy is rationing and shortages of stuff people want to use/buy.
When large parts of the economy goes under in the next few months the novelty of access to a broad range of consumer goods and affordable holidays will be a distant memory, probably.

Michael O'Leary (Easyjet) was interviewed on the telly this morning. Apparently it will take weeks/months to process customers refunds, due to lack of staff resources. BUT if people do decide to take a voucher, they can be processed straight away.

Funny, that.

Michael O'Leary (Easyjet) was interviewed on the telly this morning. Apparently it will take weeks/months to process customers refunds, due to lack of staff resources. BUT if people do decide to take a voucher, they can be processed straight away.

Funny, that.
I think you mean Ryanair, not Easyjet. :thumb

Just like to update the forum that Brittany ferries have now refunded all monies I paid for our cancelled crossing to Spain.
It's taken a while, which is understandable, to be fair to them they have done as asked.
It would of been nice to accept a credit note but with the present situation I can not see myself going to Spain/Portugal for a while.
Who knows what the future brings?

Just like to update the forum that Brittany ferries have now refunded all monies I paid for our cancelled crossing to Spain.
It's taken a while, which is understandable, to be fair to them they have done as asked.
It would of been nice to accept a credit note but with the present situation I can not see myself going to Spain/Portugal for a while.
Nice to see a positive comment. Hopefully you will again be able to enjoy traveling as the ship trip is usually very enjoyable even if last time I did have to go to bed for a while due to rough crossing.

We have just had our credit note for crossing on 5 June cannot rebook. Did you reply requesting full refund. What was timescale.

I was initially offered a voucher which I rejected, then a voucher plus discount which i also rejected.
I then emailed and stated the legal position on refunds cancelled by the operator and within two weeks I had received confirmation of credit card refund in full.
It's taken a while, this was a trip booked for the Easter holidays.
Understandably due to staffing problems it takes around two weeks to get a reply to each email.
I will travel with Brittany ferries again, always had good service, it's just a difficult situation for everyone.

We have just had a voucher (valid 2 years) for a cancelled foot passenger crossing but only for the outward journey, not the return 3 days later! So I hope that will follow in 3 days.

We have just had a voucher (valid 2 years) for a cancelled foot passenger crossing but only for the outward journey, not the return 3 days later! So I hope that will follow in 3 days.
I have faith, I have changed mine for a trip back to Spain later this year, changeable if necessary. The email said that return crossings would get another email. I always book separate in each direction as it makes changing easier. See quote Brittany ferries about foot passengers. "One challenge we’re really struggling with is the carriage of foot passengers and cyclists. Negotiating ports, particularly during embarkation and disembarkation, is a key obstacle. Our investigations into potential solutions continue. "

Im not sure if you would say we are in a good or bad position. We have booked to go away on 3rd September Stena Lines Harwich - Hook of Holland then Return Santander - Portsmouth on 28th September. I still have Two and a half months before BF take the Final Payment. We have been locked up in Wales for almost 2 Months (Van on sorn) and if its possible and SAFE to go we will..If it looks like its not going to be possible then I will just cancel and lose the Quarter Deposit.. Not Sure about Stena ticket as Its "Supposed" to be Fully flexible and refundable but going on what ive heard None of the previous rules apply any longer. I would say though that if I was running the Government of any country I wouldn't let ANYONE in until I knew it was completely under control and safe for my own citizens...

Back