Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brompton bikes..thoughts?

Well, Father Christmas is bringing me a smart ex demo Brompton with 6 gears, a carrying bag and a clip on shopping bag! It also has a dynamo and is very smart in red and white....very nice.
Thanks for all your help guys...

Looks like I came to the conversation a bit too late to help but you've made a good choice there.

The Brompton is a fantastic bike - a top quality folding bike, incredibly well thought out and designed and therefore a worthy companion to your Cali.

I used my Brompton for my commute into London for several years and even entered (and completed) the Ride London-Surrey 100 on it a couple of years ago - it was great seeing the confused looks on the faces of people on proper road bikes as I overtook them!

I'm not using it so much at the moment but I'll never get rid of it and I reckon it will outlast me (and I'm only forty-something). Of course, it's a bit like the proverbial broom (four new handles and three new heads). I think only the frame is original on mine!

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I came to the conversation a bit too late to help but you've made a good choice there.

The Brompton is a fantastic bike - a top quality folding bike, incredibly well thought out and designed and therefore a worthy companion to your Cali.

I used my Brompton for my commute into London for several years and even entered (and completed) the Ride London-Surrey 100 on it a couple of years ago - it was great seeing the confused looks on the faces of people on proper road bikes as I overtook them!

I'm not using it so much at the moment but I'll never get rid of it and I reckon it will outlast me (and I'm only forty-something). Of course, it's a bit like the proverbial broom (four new handles and three new heads). I think only the frame is original on mine!

Enjoy.

Thank you. It certainly seemed quick and I love the fact that it is from a traditional British manufacturer .
It is being serviced prior to collection and I have also bought a bag to put it in (to keep the Cali clean) and a bag to slot onto the front block.

Seems a great opportunity for someone to set up a Monocycle supply & training Business going begging.

Thank you. It certainly seemed quick and I love the fact that it is from a traditional British manufacturer .
It is being serviced prior to collection and I have also bought a bag to put it in (to keep the Cali clean) and a bag to slot onto the front block.

Yes, the clip on bags are very good too. I used one when commuting - stuffed with change of clothes, waterproofs, laptop, notebook, phones etc. Quite a bit of extra weight but the clever way the block is mounted means the weight of the bag is carried by the main frame and so it doesn't adversely affect the steering.

I'm sure you'll quickly become very fond of you Brompton.

I had a six speed Brompton which was just lovely. I sold it because because even with the gears it was not much cop at going up hills. It's hilly where we live and often where we visit. I'd have another like a shot if I anticipated cycling largely on the flat - you can always get off and push it up the occasional hill!

I also have a Brompton which I will never ever sell. Too handy on trains, buses and even for shopping.
All the folding bikes are a compromise between folding and cycling. I had a Bike Friday for a time which was a much better ride than the Brompton, but a much worse fold.
The only folding bike that came close to the Brompton for folding and riding was the Mezzo.
http://www.foldingbikes.biz/page21.html Designed by an engineer who was involved in the F1 it folded as small as the Brompton and rode as well as the Brompton. It is £599 at present. I don't think it will last as long as a Brompton, but for anyone else looking, they are worth considering.

If you have problems going up hills on the Brompton and have the 6 speed model, you can just change the gearing on the pedal crank. I think Brompton offer 3 sizes. Living in Bristol I chose the one suitable for hills and have had few problems.
Going to supermarkets is easy. The folded bike fits in the wheeled trolley, so no risk of it being stolen.
They are also being converted to electric bikes with the battery in the bag on the front.

If you have problems going up hills on the Brompton and have the 6 speed model, you can just change the gearing on the pedal crank. I think Brompton offer 3 sizes. Living in Bristol I chose the one suitable for hills and have had few problems.

Brompton's gearing has plenty of options, but the standard 6 gear option has little advantage over one of the 3 gear options.

There are 2 hub gear options, Brompton standard range (BSR) and Brompton wide range (BWR).

The BSR ratios are 75%, 100% and 133%
The BWR ratios are 64%, 100% and 157%

The standard 3 speed comes with a 14 tooth sprocket and BSR
The standard 6 speed comes with 13,16 tooth sprockets and BWR

The standard 3 speed has gear inches* of 44.3", 59.1" and 78.8", a range of 178%
The standard 6 speed has gear inches of 33.0", 40.6", 51.7", 63.7", 81.0" and 99.7", a range of 302%

It looks like the 6 speed has a large advantage over the 3 speed Brompton. However, that large advantage evaporates to a small advantage if you request a 3 speed with a BWR hub and 13 tooth sprocket.

The BWR/13 3 speed has gear inches of 40.6", 63.7" and 99.7", a range of 245%

In effect, the standard 6 speed has a half gear lower and 1/2 gears between the BWR/13 3 speed.

If you live in a hilly area, instead of going for the standard 6 speed option, you can save £65 by going for a BWR with a 14 tooth sprocket, with a 14% loss in the bottom gear and 7% loss in the top gear.

*Gear inches are the effective diameter of the drive wheel when gearing is taken into account. Think penny farthing, with a large front drive wheel and a small rear wheel. The Brompton has wheels with a diameter of 16 inches, riding one in sixth gear of the standard 6 gear bike would be a gearing equivalent to riding a penny farthing with an enormous 8 foot 4 inch high front wheel. To convert gear inches into the distance one revolution of the pedal will drive the bike forward, multiply by 3.14.

Brompton's gearing has plenty of options, but the standard 6 gear option has little advantage over one of the 3 gear options.

There are 2 hub gear options, Brompton standard range (BSR) and Brompton wide range (BWR).

The BSR ratios are 75%, 100% and 133%
The BWR ratios are 64%, 100% and 157%

The standard 3 speed comes with a 14 tooth sprocket and BSR
The standard 6 speed comes with 13,16 tooth sprockets and BWR

The standard 3 speed has gear inches* of 44.3", 59.1" and 78.8", a range of 178%
The standard 6 speed has gear inches of 33.0", 40.6", 51.7", 63.7", 81.0" and 99.7", a range of 302%

It looks like the 6 speed has a large advantage over the 3 speed Brompton. However, that large advantage evaporates to a small advantage if you request a 3 speed with a BWR hub and 13 tooth sprocket.

The BWR/13 3 speed has gear inches of 40.6", 63.7" and 99.7", a range of 245%

In effect, the standard 6 speed has a half gear lower and 1/2 gears between the BWR/13 3 speed.

If you live in a hilly area, instead of going for the standard 6 speed option, you can save £65 by going for a BWR with a 14 tooth sprocket, with a 14% loss in the bottom gear and 7% loss in the top gear.

*Gear inches are the effective diameter of the drive wheel when gearing is taken into account. Think penny farthing, with a large front drive wheel and a small rear wheel. The Brompton has wheels with a diameter of 16 inches, riding one in sixth gear of the standard 6 gear bike would be a gearing equivalent to riding a penny farthing with an enormous 8 foot 4 inch high front wheel. To convert gear inches into the distance one revolution of the pedal will drive the bike forward, multiply by 3.14.

My goodness! I am going to have to look at what exactly it is that I have bought!

My goodness! I am going to have to look at what exactly it is that I have bought!

I would happily bet my fiver verses your 50p that you have the standard BWR hub with the 13/16 sprocket. That wager would drop to my fiver verses your £1 on the standard BWR with the 13/16 sprocket and 50 tooth chainring: other non-improbable possibilities are a 54 tooth chainring +8% or 44 tooth chainring -12%.

If I am right, your bike is pretty similar to the Brompton my wife has ordered. She very firmly told me to "shut up" when I tried to explain to her how she could save herself £65 by ordering the BWR and 14 tooth sprocket.

It's a great bike with a great range of gears.

Wow! If I'd known all that about the gear options I might have kept the bike!

I would happily bet my fiver verses your 50p that you have the standard BWR hub with the 13/16 sprocket. That wager would drop to my fiver verses your £1 on the standard BWR with the 13/16 sprocket and 50 tooth chainring: other non-improbable possibilities are a 54 tooth chainring +8% or 44 tooth chainring -12%.

If I am right, your bike is pretty similar to the Brompton my wife has ordered. She very firmly told me to "shut up" when I tried to explain to her how she could save herself £65 by ordering the BWR and 14 tooth sprocket.

It's a great bike with a great range of gears.

I will consult with the guy who owns the cycle shop! He was very enthusiastic about his Bromptons and got very excited when talking about limited editions.

I wouldn't worry too much. In fact don't worry at all. Just enjoy and if it's a big hill just get off and walk. And then you can freewheel down. Unless of course you are a member of the Lycra brigade and it gives you something to talk about at coffee stops. That's all they seem to talk about around here, gear ratios, gradients, distance climbed etc: etc:. Don't think they look at the view. Maybe they can't see the view cos they're eyes are screwed up because of the tight Lycra. As long as they're happy.

Cycling to me is like golf.......... it messes up a nice walk!

I wouldn't worry too much. In fact don't worry at all. Just enjoy and if it's a big hill just get off and walk. And then you can freewheel down. Unless of course you are a member of the Lycra brigade and it gives you something to talk about at coffee stops. That's all they seem to talk about around here, gear ratios, gradients, distance climbed etc: etc:. Don't think they look at the view. Maybe they can't see the view cos they're eyes are screwed up because of the tight Lycra. As long as they're happy.

Rest assured, I have no intention of joining the Lycra brigade WG ! I see myself more riding along a towpath or into a local village than going up big hills! The gears will probably be wasted on me but at least I have them if needed and good for the resale value should I ever want to part with it. Judging by the comments on here though that sounds unlikely.
I am really looking forward to taking Luis to the new forest and using the cycle tracks...

Rest assured, I have no intention of joining the Lycra brigade WG ! I see myself more riding along a towpath or into a local village than going up big hills! The gears will probably be wasted on me but at least I have them if needed and good for the resale value should I ever want to part with it. Judging by the comments on here though that sounds unlikely.
I am really looking forward to taking Luis to the new forest and using the cycle tracks...

We have one each and don't use them enough. Hoping the California gets us out using them. Problem is my wife cannot ride on the rode, just too scary for her, and I don't blame her, so usage may be limited for us. They are a great bike and like a Macbook get the one you want first, as upgrades/changes are costly.

Don't forget to pack some tools and a puncture repair kit etc:thumb

Don't forget to pack some tools and a puncture repair kit etc:thumb
Fixing punctures on a Brompton can be the stuff of nightmares - especially the rear wheel. First of all, the small tyre size makes getting the tyre off the rim more difficult than a larger wheel size. Secondly, taking the rear wheel off a Brompton with a rack is near impossible. Best to buy tough tyres that rarely puncture, Schwalbe Marathon Plus are pretty good, if the tyres are kept well inflated, and get a professional to fix any rare puncture in the rear tyre. In ten years of Brompton ownership, and ~2000 miles per year, I've suffered just one puncture.

Brilliant - just the way bicycles should be used. But don't worry about those who jibe about the "Lycra brigade", more often than not they are the sort of person who will spend 30 minutes stuck in traffic on their way to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle!

Brilliant - just the way bicycles should be used. But don't worry about those who jibe about the "Lycra brigade", more often than not they are the sort of person who will spend 30 minutes stuck in traffic on their way to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle!

I think at my advanced age tight lycra around the backside is not a good look! There is a chap who lives at the end of our road and he is a keen cyclist. Unfortunately he insists on cutting the hedge wearing lycra cycling shorts and no shirt - it is truly grim.

Dahon now make a folding bike which is gearless, very robust, reasonably light and folds the same as a Brompton. It is about 600 squid. I was very impressed. We have electric bikes which are gobsmackingly (sorry) amazing but real rupture material when you try to lift them.

We have moustache electric bikes,found too heavy to put on the racks, ended up buying the Thule rack which fits on the tow hitch, added extra was the bike rack can be leaned forward with bikes installed to access the camper.
Note we are not very tall.

A neighbour has an electric Brompton that she had converted. https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/bristolstore this is a link to one shop that does it. They have 5 branches spread across the UK. They fit the battery into the bag on the front and if you plan to only using it locally you can have a small (light) battery with a range of 5-10 miles. She finds it ideal for going to local shops and she can lift the bag off thus making the Brompton easy to fold and lift. She certainly doesn't find the Bristol hills much problem.

A neighbour has an electric Brompton that she had converted. https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/bristolstore this is a link to one shop that does it. They have 5 branches spread across the UK. They fit the battery into the bag on the front and if you plan to only using it locally you can have a small (light) battery with a range of 5-10 miles. She finds it ideal for going to local shops and she can lift the bag off thus making the Brompton easy to fold and lift. She certainly doesn't find the Bristol hills much problem.

That is really useful to know thanks....looks to be a good system.

A nice little system for when the legs get too old for hills and for extending range.