Brompton bikes..thoughts?

Stuff a bin liner into the top tube so if you ever get grief from places “don’t want a dirty bike in here” pop it in the bag and hey presto it’s cleaner than the floor is. Don’t leave it locked up - it is asking for trouble. They’re just too much of a theft magnet.
Thanks for the tip! I've read that they are really nickable so I think that is sage advice.

I've got the Ikea Dimpa bags which are really hard wearing, may stuff them into my rucksacks for such an occasion. Bit of a joke really as you can't imagine said owner saying 'don't bring your pushchair or pram in here with it's muddy wheels'......

Thanks for the tip! I've read that they are really nickable so I think that is sage advice.

I've got the Ikea Dimpa bags which are really hard wearing, may stuff them into my rucksacks for such an occasion. Bit of a joke really as you can't imagine said owner saying 'don't bring your pushchair or pram in here with it's muddy wheels'......
I suppose the argument is a bike is (or can be) oily, but if cleanliness is the argument that’s where a bag comes in so it’s totally covered.

On the subject of Bromptons, does anyone know if taxi drivers will routinely allow you to put them in the boot? In the winter I plan to ride to the pubs/restaurants when it's light but would like to get an Uber or the like back as I'm not as comfortable riding in the dark especially after a few libations !!!!

On the subject of Bromptons, does anyone know if taxi drivers will routinely allow you to put them in the boot? In the winter I plan to ride to the pubs/restaurants when it's light but would like to get an Uber or the like back as I'm not as comfortable riding in the dark especially after a few libations !!!!
Yup, do that all the time. Enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I would have thought so as long as it’s covered up it would be fine - again, wheelchairs and baby buggies are taken and the Brompton is much smaller than those!

Brompton do a lightweight bike cover that folds into a pouch that clips to the saddle. They also do a proper carry bag that folds down into a small stuff sack that hangs off the seatpost. I use this one for storing the bike in the boot - stops any scratches, oil etc. Check out Brilliant Bikes website.

I find the biggest obstacle to any of these things with Brompton ownership is the weight of the thing; mine's an old P6R, so it has a hub dynamo, rack, 6 speed gears (hub gear and 2 speed derailleur), mudguards and generally sports a Brooks leather saddle too. Not sure what it weighs, but it's quite a lot which makes it hard work hoisting it about sometimes.

They are fantastic though and I wouldn't be without mine. Keep an eye on hinges; they do wear out and you'll need a bike shop familiar with Bromptons to put new bushes into the hinges.

I find the biggest obstacle to any of these things with Brompton ownership is the weight of the thing; mine's an old P6R, so it has a hub dynamo, rack, 6 speed gears (hub gear and 2 speed derailleur), mudguards and generally sports a Brooks leather saddle too. Not sure what it weighs, but it's quite a lot which makes it hard work hoisting it about sometimes.

They are fantastic though and I wouldn't be without mine. Keep an eye on hinges; they do wear out and you'll need a bike shop familiar with Bromptons to put new bushes into the hinges.
A T-line titanium framed one is the answer, but at close to £4,500 it's not for many.

We love ours, basic 3 speed. Had 'em for 18 years now. Yes they are heavy but hey, also strong, durable and the easiest fastest folding bike you can buy. Perfect for the California (although I do admit they take up a lot of space in the boot) although putting them in the boot the right way round is a bit like putting together a 3D jigsaw puzzle! :D I keep a photo on my phone to remind me how to do it :thumb

IMG_6092_Original.jpeg

Last edited:
A T-line titanium framed one is the answer, but at close to £4,500 it's not for many.
I was sorely tempted by the transparent (or lightly tinted) lacquer versions of the normal steel Bromptons the other year; the gold brazing on full show. Looked lovely but while mine is tatty, it works so I can't justify replacement!

T-line would be a lottery win purchase only - I wouldn't spend that on any bike and I do a lot of cycling!

I was sorely tempted by the transparent (or lightly tinted) lacquer versions of the normal steel Bromptons the other year; the gold brazing on full show. Looked lovely but while mine is tatty, it works so I can't justify replacement!

T-line would be a lottery win purchase only - I wouldn't spend that on any bike and I do a lot of cycling!
I agree, I do find my C-Line a bit heavier than i expected. I think the T-Line must be aimed at city traders who take their bikes to the Canary Wharf office!!! Don't get me wrong if I won the lottery I'd probably buy one.....

And I thought a cube folding ebike was steep at £3K, and it had belt drive, so no oily chain!

And I thought a cube folding ebike was steep at £3K, and it had belt drive, so no oily chain!
I remain to be convinced by belt drives (although I do hear good things about them). I seem them on my commute into Manchester, but I feel like if they snap you're totally screwed whenas with a chain you can always cobble one together by taking a few links out in an emergency. I also am not keen on the fact the frame has to have a break in it to accommodate the install/removal.

Anyway, I digress . . .

I've had a smart ebike for ten years, Gates Belt has been brilliant!

I agree, I do find my C-Line a bit heavier than i expected. I think the T-Line must be aimed at city traders who take their bikes to the Canary Wharf office!!! Don't get me wrong if I won the lottery I'd probably buy one.....
Not a city trader or won the lottery but carefully looked at the engineering, the significant weight savings vs its closest comparator P-line, the versatility, the amount of use it would see and the ability to install standard aftermarket bike components. The T-Line was a no brainer. It also looks the mutz nutz with its chunkier tubes and CF bits. Basically its a buy-it-once bike. The alternative was an ebike which are equally pricey for bigger brands using the Bosch crank engine. The lightness of the T-Line and gearing means I have not missed having assisted peddling. And one less battery to charge is a plus. YMMV

We love ours, basic 3 speed. Had 'em for 18 years now. Yes they are heavy but hey, also strong, durable and the easiest fastest folding bike you can buy. Perfect for the California (although I do admit they take up a lot of space in the boot) although putting them in the boot the right way round is a bit like putting together a 3D jigsaw puzzle! :D I keep a photo on my phone to remind me how to do it :thumb

View attachment 127843
I was reading this thread, hoping to find that 2 Bromptons would fit collapsed but upright next to each other underneath the multiplex. From the photograph, that doesn’t appear to be so, unless they fold down more than you have shown in this photograph?

Last edited:
I was reading this thread, hoping to find that 2 Bromptons would fit collapsed but upright next to each other underneath the multiplex. From the photograph, that doesn’t appear to be so, unless they fall down more than you have shown in this photograph?
No they won't fit vertically. Like Chockswahay mine will only go in comfortably if carefully angled against the really useful box and right side up. I bought a vincita cordura bag that folds into itself and velcros to the handlebar, preventing damage to the bike or Cali panels. It also keeps the greasy bits from contaminating anything else.

No they won't fit vertically. Like Chockswahay mine will only go in comfortably if carefully angled against the really useful box and right side up. I bought a vincita cordura bag that folds into itself and velcros to the handlebar, preventing damage to the bike or Cali panels. It also keeps the greasy bits from contaminating anything else.
Many thanks. Which really useful box do you manage to get in there with the Bromptons? I’m also wondering if my Thule levelling chocks will go in there too https://www.leisuredepot.co.uk/thul...MIrPzRmYP3hwMVPQkGAB3laAk2EAQYASABEgKLvPD_BwE

I was reading this thread, hoping to find that 2 Bromptons would fit collapsed but upright next to each other underneath the multiplex. From the photograph, that doesn’t appear to be so, unless they fall down more than you have shown in this photograph?
IMG_5768 Large.jpeg
I have mine vertically in my Sven as you can see, from memory I think they went in the boot of my cali when slanted at an angle resting against something. Stand to be corrected but I think they can be stored this way if the rear shelf was lifted in the Cali too?

Many thanks. Which really useful box do you manage to get in there with the Bromptons? I’m also wondering if my Thule levelling chocks will go in there too https://www.leisuredepot.co.uk/thul...MIrPzRmYP3hwMVPQkGAB3laAk2EAQYASABEgKLvPD_BwE
I have two 50L RUB's but only one will fit if I carry the Brommie. There is enough space above the box to slide in my bookfold 100W solar panel and the three Project Camper cabin blinds. When everything is angled correctly I can remove each piece without disturbing the others. No rattles or load shifting either.

I have two 50L RUB's but only one will fit if I carry the Brommie. There is enough space above the box to slide in my bookfold 100W solar panel and the three Project Camper cabin blinds. When everything is angled correctly I can remove each piece without disturbing the others. No rattles or load shifting either.
Blimey bet it's like Jenga removing all them :D