Brompton bikes..thoughts?

I think that i’m drifting back to using our existing underused Trek dual sport / cross bikes on a tilting bike carrier. But, do love the idea of Bromptons. Plus, they always make me think of the hilarious W1A TV programme! If you haven’t seen it, check iPlayer. Brilliant!

I remain to be convinced by belt drives (although I do hear good things about them).
I'll add my good things too.
I've had two belt drive bikes, after my first - a used Japanese import that I bought about 10 years ago. When I bought the Cali, its 3 gears weren't enough for country rides, so after 7 years of smooth London commuting I sold it for what I bought it for (£240) and bought a BMC Alpenchallenge with 8 hub gears. Unfortunately, somehow the aluminium frame cracked, not sure how but could it have been to do with my towbar Atera cycle rack? Thankfully it was still within its 3 year warranty, and BMC replaced it with a 257 AL Three.
This, like the Alpenchallenge is superb - so smooth, no oil or clicking gears. It just rolls along quietly, maintenance free.
I've always taken my bikes for an annual service (which picked up the cracked frame near the bottom of the seat post), and there's never anything to do on the belt. I'm told officially they last 3 times longer than a chain, but in my experience its much longer. If a chain broke when away from civilisation I'd be in the same predicament, but I've never had one break.
I don't understand why belts haven't taken off in Europe, though I've been told that new bikes from outside the EU are subject to a tax that perhaps has prevented this technology that is normal in eg. Japan taking hold in Europe. I suppose the hub is heavier than a derailleur, but not enough to make a difference for leisure/commuting riders.
My Mrs has a belt drive too, and I don't think we'll ever go back to a chain - less maintenance, hassle, noise and mess.

I'll add my good things too.
I've had two belt drive bikes, after my first - a used Japanese import that I bought about 10 years ago. When I bought the Cali, its 3 gears weren't enough for country rides, so after 7 years of smooth London commuting I sold it for what I bought it for (£240) and bought a BMC Alpenchallenge with 8 hub gears. Unfortunately, somehow the aluminium frame cracked, not sure how but could it have been to do with my towbar Atera cycle rack? Thankfully it was still within its 3 year warranty, and BMC replaced it with a 257 AL Three.
This, like the Alpenchallenge is superb - so smooth, no oil or clicking gears. It just rolls along quietly, maintenance free.
I've always taken my bikes for an annual service (which picked up the cracked frame near the bottom of the seat post), and there's never anything to do on the belt. I'm told officially they last 3 times longer than a chain, but in my experience its much longer. If a chain broke when away from civilisation I'd be in the same predicament, but I've never had one break.
I don't understand why belts haven't taken off in Europe, though I've been told that new bikes from outside the EU are subject to a tax that perhaps has prevented this technology that is normal in eg. Japan taking hold in Europe. I suppose the hub is heavier than a derailleur, but not enough to make a difference for leisure/commuting riders.
My Mrs has a belt drive too, and I don't think we'll ever go back to a chain - less maintenance, hassle, noise and mess.
Hub gears like the Rohloff (my fav) are super heavy vs derailleur. Almost 2kg for the hub, twist grip, cables, cable guide. Thats a big weight penalty for something that does basically the same job albeit in a neater package. They make most sense on an e-bike.

Hub gears like the Rohloff (my fav) are super heavy vs derailleur. Almost 2kg for the hub, twist grip, cables, cable guide. Thats a big weight penalty for something that does basically the same job albeit in a neater package. They make most sense on an e-bike.
Its added weight demands a very small amount of additional exercise. My weight fluctuates from 90-98kg and I carry panniers probably totalling 10kg. In the scheme of things, when the rest of the bike is light, it’s a superior system for a leisure or city commuting bike. I occasionally cover <50 countryside miles on it too, though it’s not the best choice for steep uphill climbs (needs a lower gear) it takes long gradients in its stride.