Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

Anyone looking to sell a Cali once lockdown ends is going to get top dollar!!! Used prices are crazy now, can only see them getting crazier with these new order delays and the desire to escape our homes!

City gate Woburn Green has a deep Red metallic 6.1 Coast in their show room.
I don’t have any other details,
I saw in the other day,
no screen price no details in the screen.

several other calis in the compound and on their website including a white 2020 199ps 4 mo £77k

may be an option from those left in limbo ?

Good advice subthree you are of course right ..... we have waited a long time already and it is doubtful we could use it safely (due to infections) and freely until mid summer and there is always the option to sell at that time.
I do pose a question though to any people negotiating a purchase currently, what on earth are they being promised for delivery, all the horror stories on the forums suggest it might be this years Christmas present rather than the summer toy.
I am think the saga and the guessing will continue until week 6 and we see if there is in fact a 204 engine to fit.
We ordered a 4 motion on the 22nd December, was told possibly around End of June

Shocking. I’m convinced that VW’s prioritisation has now flipped from UK orders to EU orders. UK seemed to be prioritised in the run up to the Brexit deadline at the expense of our EU friends. Maybe VW is now redressing the balance?
Totally agree, I remember a few comments from our European friends ordering 150's and having to wait well into this year, prioritising UK in the Autumn was a wise business decision, I'd of done the same. I suspect also all maybe not well with the 204 engine mod, realistically just how many 204's were on backorder? Be interesting to hopefully see the earliest build date on here especially from our European friends it was planned to be week 6 yr21.

@PhilR it is worth the wait but I can see where you are coming from. On the brighter side Phil, we have had ours a month now and have not been able to anywhere, perhaps being delayed is a blessing disguise when you finally get it you may actually be free enough to use it as a camper! P.S still not have the roof up yet!

T7 looms on the Horizon making delayed T6.1 deliveries more problematic for buyers.
And the new Transporter is being built with Ford, so further complications to add in to the mix.

So after ordering in September we finally got an unconfirmed build date of week 10 last Friday. Time to celebrate? Sadly not, as today VW Chat have now said our unconfirmed build date is now week 23 :mad:
What are they playing at? We were originally told (by the dealer) delivery by the end of 2020, then March 2021, now August/September??? This is ridiculous now and I have to be honest and say I'm now seriously starting to doubt the whole thing. I've been really positive and excited about it for ages, but these setbacks are diminishing my enthusiasm for sure. Had a bad day at work today so it wasn't the best time to find out this news, so I'll sleep on it but at this moment in time I'm seriously considering pulling the plug...

Anyone else feel let down by VW too? This is very poor CS. I've not had one phone call from my dealer since ordering, I've done all the chasing. I'm going to email him tomorrow and be polite but I'll certainly express my anger/disappointment - not that they'll care. I'm not important, I'm only spending £75k+ :rolleyes:

I've had BMW's and Audi's in the past and the ownership experience (apart from the rip-off servicing!) has been exceptional, as has the build quality, ride, reliability, performance and overall running costs. If only BMW made a Campervan......
Almost the same here in Belgium. Orderded in June 2020, with final delivery in February 2021, then reported to May, now June, then ??? And not a 199hp, but 110 hp. Very, very frustrating !

Totally agree, I remember a few comments from our European friends ordering 150's and having to wait well into this year, prioritising UK in the Autumn was a wise business decision, I'd of done the same. I suspect also all maybe not well with the 204 engine mod, realistically just how many 204's were on backorder? Be interesting to hopefully see the earliest build date on here especially from our European friends it was planned to be week 6 yr21.

@PhilR it is worth the wait but I can see where you are coming from. On the brighter side Phil, we have had ours a month now and have not been able to anywhere, perhaps being delayed is a blessing disguise when you finally get it you may actually be free enough to use it as a camper! P.S still not have the roof up yet!
I guess so yeah!!! Cheers mate.

To all those people facing many months of wait yet for delivery for non-4wd models, I'm wondering why you don't cancel your orders and purchase one of the delivery miles models that come up for sale on the VW website etc. fairly often at around 10% off list price?

I notice that Citygate have two Oceans available immediately, a bronze 199 and a black 150 one. The 199 is priced £63,999 and the 150 £62,999 - again, delivery miles only.

Is it simply because you need a very specific and unusual specification? It took me just a month of waiting for a fab unused Fortana Red demo model Ocean to come up with the options I wanted - paid £61,300 for it, and had it delivered to my doorstep three days later.

I'm just curious why others aren't going for this option?

Ive been looking at some of these pre registered vans, Citygate as standard don't order a spare wheel, just the can of gunge. I've yet to find an almost perfect spec across any of the current vans available.

If you take the screen price & compare it to Drive the Deal on the bronze 199 for example, you would be paying about £3k more for the second hand van to have it now & for me paying a further £1k for spec that I don't want, and still need to spend more to have a spare wheel carrier etc - Oh & road tax is extra, although only £270.
Also need to be careful as to whether the extended warranty can still be bought ditto cheap service packs.
Another cost for me is GAP insurance - brand new van & I get 2 years replacement with a new van via my insurers, pre-registered & you have to pay for that cover elsewhere.

There are two advantages to buying one of the pre-registration though:
Some of them out there are the 2020 model which still has sports mode on the gearbox, more importantly for me is the trade in of the existing Van, being able to do a deal now with all costs known is preferable to having to guess a trade in figure with an unknown delivery date.
The value of my current van I should imagine will be very different if its replacement turned up in June to what it would be if the new one was as late as September.
Also I wouldn't want to sell the current one privately without having a definite delivery date for the new one - I don't want to miss the summer without a van.

Anyone looking to sell a Cali once lockdown ends is going to get top dollar!!! Used prices are crazy now, can only see them getting crazier with these new order delays and the desire to escape our homes!
I tend to agree with you, however the possibility exists that if travel restrictions continue for a very long time (and I read a depressing forecast suggesting late 2022), then the attraction of a Campervan/motorhome for holidays will fade and we could see sales go into reverse and prices fall.

Ive been looking at some of these pre registered vans, Citygate as standard don't order a spare wheel, just the can of gunge. I've yet to find an almost perfect spec across any of the current vans available.

If you take the screen price & compare it to Drive the Deal on the bronze 199 for example, you would be paying about £3k more for the second hand van to have it now & for me paying a further £1k for spec that I don't want, and still need to spend more to have a spare wheel carrier etc - Oh & road tax is extra, although only £270.
Also need to be careful as to whether the extended warranty can still be bought ditto cheap service packs.
Another cost for me is GAP insurance - brand new van & I get 2 years replacement with a new van via my insurers, pre-registered & you have to pay for that cover elsewhere.

There are two advantages to buying one of the pre-registration though:
Some of them out there are the 2020 model which still has sports mode on the gearbox, more importantly for me is the trade in of the existing Van, being able to do a deal now with all costs known is preferable to having to guess a trade in figure with an unknown delivery date.
The value of my current van I should imagine will be very different if its replacement turned up in June to what it would be if the new one was as late as September.
Also I wouldn't want to sell the current one privately without having a definite delivery date for the new one - I don't want to miss the summer without a van.
Don't know where you get the figure £3k more than Drive the Deal? When I put the same spec - Nav Pro, Bronze paint, sleeping mat -into Drive the Deal for a 204 model, it comes out as £63,200 cash price (you have to add £350 to the headline figure if you're not using finance).

So I make that £800 more plus £270 tax for a van that's you can have next week. And it might well be much less difference than that - I spoke to Citygate about the Back model back in December and they offered it for a thousand less than they are listing it. So anyone who might be interested - definitely worth giving them a call, I found them to be very reasonable.

FWIW When I bought my delivery miles showroom demo Ocean from VW Swindon, it was cheaper than the equivalent Drive the Deal cash price, and by quite a decent margin. And it had almost exactly the specification I wanted - I guess I just got lucky. But I think, even if it were 1k more, I'd have still gone for it - £1k to have the use of a Cali for an extra several months of this difficult year and the guarantee of having it during the Spring and Summer, personally more than worth it to me.

Anyway, good luck with your order and I hope you get your Cali sooner rather than later :)

To all those people facing many months of wait yet for delivery for non-4wd models, I'm wondering why you don't cancel your orders and purchase one of the delivery miles models that come up for sale on the VW website etc. fairly often at around 10% off list price?

I notice that Citygate have two Oceans available immediately, a bronze 199 and a black 150 one. The 199 is priced £63,999 and the 150 £62,999 - again, delivery miles only.

Is it simply because you need a very specific and unusual specification? It took me just a month of waiting for a fab unused Fortana Red demo model Ocean to come up with the options I wanted - paid £61,300 for it, and had it delivered to my doorstep three days later.

Wish I could but I haven’t seen a 4 motion with diff lock in all the time I have been looking with delivery miles and unfortunately those can’t be fitted retrospectivly

Wish I could but I haven’t seen a 4 motion with diff lock in all the time I have been looking with delivery miles and unfortunately those can’t be fitted retrospectivly
There is a white pre reg out there with diff lock but its up for £77k

I need a 5th seat - I haven’t seen one on a pre-reg car. Also, finance deals on “used” vans are significantly worse.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
I need a 5th seat - I haven’t seen one on a pre-reg car. Also, finance deals on “used” vans are significantly worse.
I believe Finance from a Dealer when buying a pre reg demonstrator would be the same as unregistered. VW treat a pre reg Demo in the same way as a brand new reg. Essentially VW own the pre reg and take a practical view accordingly offering finance as new ( or at least they used to)

regarding Extended warrant, as long as the pre reg is not older than 3 months old, extend warranty should not be a problem, it can be part of the deal.
the same is true with service plan make it part of any deal.

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
So after ordering in September we finally got an unconfirmed build date of week 10 last Friday. Time to celebrate? Sadly not, as today VW Chat have now said our unconfirmed build date is now week 23 :mad:
What are they playing at? We were originally told (by the dealer) delivery by the end of 2020, then March 2021, now August/September??? This is ridiculous now and I have to be honest and say I'm now seriously starting to doubt the whole thing. I've been really positive and excited about it for ages, but these setbacks are diminishing my enthusiasm for sure. Had a bad day at work today so it wasn't the best time to find out this news, so I'll sleep on it but at this moment in time I'm seriously considering pulling the plug...

Anyone else feel let down by VW too? This is very poor CS. I've not had one phone call from my dealer since ordering, I've done all the chasing. I'm going to email him tomorrow and be polite but I'll certainly express my anger/disappointment - not that they'll care. I'm not important, I'm only spending £75k+ :rolleyes:

I've had BMW's and Audi's in the past and the ownership experience (apart from the rip-off servicing!) has been exceptional, as has the build quality, ride, reliability, performance and overall running costs. If only BMW made a Campervan......

I empathise with you as I’m in a similar boat. Yesterday I was told (on ‘Chat’) for the first time that I had a provisional build week 10 (ordered Ocean 204 mid Nov) having read your post I checked again just now and my ‘build week’ has been removed entirely - A fantastic example of the ridiculousness of it all. It didn’t give me much hope when I logged onto the chat tonight and it said “you're through to Luke at ŠKODA UK” !!! Says it all, doesn’t it.

As customers we should not have to go on a ‘chat’ to get updates ourselves then get ‘Ask again in two weeks’. The info / updates should flow regularly and smoothly via the Van centre to us, as soon as there is ANYTHING new on our order.

I was also told on the chat yesterday that the 204 engine specifications will be released on the 8th Feb and I will definitely receive a confirmed build date then - who knows if this is true.

For those of us who are still waiting for build week confirmation, fingers crossed we get it soon and there isn’t a disastrously longer wait time above and beyond what we were told at point of sale. The only saving grace is that we are not able (in the UK) to go anywhere or do anything in the near future, however i’d be annoyed if it’s not here for the summer. I am very excited about getting it though when all is said and done but it’s a real shame the purchase experience so far is not living up to the product.

Basically (he says trying to convince himself) because I couldn’t use it anyway, and they are never the perfect spec

07:29 PM
We ordered an Ocean In early Dec and apparently still waiting to receive a provisional build date from the Factory. I’m told via VW chat that the new 204 PS engines will begin production in week 6, this will commence from 8th February 2021. I’m told to expect a further update in week 6. When I pressed for a rough delivery date I was told End March / early April which I think is probably optimistic.

We ordered an Ocean In early Dec and apparently still waiting to receive a provisional build date from the Factory. I’m told via VW chat that the new 204 PS engines will begin production in week 6, this will commence from 8th February 2021. I’m told to expect a further update in week 6. When I pressed for a rough delivery date I was told End March / early April which I think is probably optimistic.
I agree that’s optimistic but possible. There are a lot of 204 orders waiting for a build week, many placed in Oct and Nov. That said there seems to be no method to the madness of order and delivery date relationship...

Last edited:
Provisional build date of week 24 for our 204 ordered early September means that what they’ve told you is highly optimistic, sorry!!!

We have been given a build date of 51 code 20. Last time we chat they said final stages, now gheybard saying 4 weeks delay. What does this mean? Half finished waiting in some part of the factory inside or even worse outside?

What do you think the dealers reaction would beif we cancelled our order? and changed back to a coast, our original choice, we have no confirmation from factory yet as far as I know

What do you think the dealers reaction would beif we cancelled our order? and changed back to a coast, our original choice, we have no confirmation from factory yet as far as I know
I would have thought they would just accept it and return your Deposit.

Back