Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buyer’s Remorse

Zero remorse from me, in fact the exact opposite but then there are just two of us (plus a small dog) and it’s a daily driver.

I have memories of camping in the rain with two kids in a teardrop trailer and a small tent. That was a very different experience! It was however one I eventually grew to love. When/if the sun shines and TGO is beckoning I’d wager your time with the Cali will be transformed. Spontaneous day trips, long work trips are all much more fun in a Cali. Touring on the continent with well equipped family campsites and the occasional nice hotel or AirBnB could also vanquish any buyers remorse, instead you’ll appreciate a versatile vehicle like no other.

When I was family camping I’d focus on the rituals that gave me great pleasure and adapting them for the kids ie making a fire but incorporating marshmallows and hot chocolate as well as my cold beer. Making a family meal in a small space with limited equipment can be so rewarding. Revel in the simple things that our cosseted daily lives let us forget.

If none of that works I’ll have your Project Camper blinds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lovely reply, thank you!

Your comment about the blinds made Mrs Vecino laugh out loud.

I think there are a few such owners on the " Bellowsgate " thread who were probably very happy to have an excuse to return their vehicle.;)
Yes I sent mine back. It wasn’t just the bellows though.. it had defects in the roof paint too, and I didn’t want the hassle of getting that resolved. I did say at the time that if VW resolve the bellows issues, I would order again… but I’m still not convinced with the latest 04S‘A’ version and time is running out.

Thankfully, Eurovans offered me such a pittance for the Beach that I didn’t px it :thumb . I hadn’t got round to selling it, which made the return a bit easier. I’m still ok with the Beach and now plan to add my own units to make it a bit more Ocean-like instead.
Not sure if this counts as ‘buyers remorse’ :)

Yes I sent mine back. It wasn’t just the bellows though.. it had defects in the roof paint too, and I didn’t want the hassle of getting that resolved. I did say at the time that if VW resolve the bellows issues, I would order again… but I’m still not convinced with the latest 04S‘A’ version and time is running out.

Thankfully, Eurovans offered me such a pittance for the Beach that I didn’t px it :thumb . I hadn’t got round to selling it, which made the return a bit easier. I’m still ok with the Beach and now plan to add my own units to make it a bit more Ocean-like instead.
Not sure if this counts as ‘buyers remorse’ :)
No. Because you've stuck with the concept of the California , be it a Beach or Ocean/SE.

Nupe! There are niggles as with anything complex and the customer service isn’t always great (depends on garage) but we are in our 4th now and have learnt to chill but make sure anything that needs fixed gets fixed with persistence the key.

I think there are a few such owners on the " Bellowsgate " thread who were probably very happy to have an excuse to return their vehicle.;)
Maybe but in the end they’ve fixed it. They changed the material from the original which worked well but was draughty. Our new one leaks we have registered it it will get fixed in the meantime we have a cover and will use that in persistent rain.

Never … the best thing we ever done is to get a California Ocean. 6 years later and still can’t wait to get in it and go and see new places … 15 countries and counting.

For reasons family-related, mine is being used as my daily driver, no camping, it's great. Adaptive cruise helps lots, high seating avoids glare from dazzling headlights. All good.

I strongly believe that the Transporter based Cali's makes most sense when used as a daily driver/camper hybrid rather than as a mini motorhome. There are better and indeed cheaper options for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say it comes down to organisation which becomes a habit
With smaller children or without I always popped up a pop-up tent before even getting the table and chairs out. That’s for the overflow of items that need moving though in a california everything should have a place for ease of travel even if that is in a zip up bag stored wherever
So as soon as settling you create as much free movement and space in the van as you need
Just a suggestion

I strongly believe that the Transporter based Cali's makes most sense when used as a daily driver/camper hybrid rather than as a mini motorhome. There are better and indeed cheaper options for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which do you think make more sense as a mini motorhome? Always interested in options.

Have any of you - be honest - ever felt some initial buyer’s remorse?
No, it's never crossed my mind. I got a slight next-morning feeling of shock that we'd spent a lot of money, but we've had so much fun with our van(s) over 12 years of ownership, haven't regretted it for a moment.
Have you got an awning? Good for dumping stuff/kids in while sorting out the van.

I would say it comes down to organisation which becomes a habit
With smaller children or without I always popped up a pop-up tent before even getting the table and chairs out. That’s for the overflow of items that need moving though in a california everything should have a place for ease of travel even if that is in a zip up bag stored wherever
So as soon as settling you create as much free movement and space in the van as you need
Just a suggestion
Same here. Pop up tent allows things like car seats, outdoor shoes, cycling gear, bedding (that’s in a vacuum packed bag) to be chucked into the tent to free up some space for crisps and wine.

If you don’t have a pop up tent then you have to be good at Tetris to find space for the car seats

Quite the opposite for me! I am more and more happy with my Beach the longer I have it. The only remorse I have is that I didn’t get it 10 years ago.

That said I use it as a daily vehicle and my point of comparison for camping was a tent!

No, it's never crossed my mind. I got a slight next-morning feeling of shock that we'd spent a lot of money, but we've had so much fun with our van(s) over 12 years of ownership, haven't regretted it for a moment.
Have you got an awning? Good for dumping stuff/kids in while sorting out the van.
Me too, I spent how much and why didn’t I get that larger van, then the use ability and memories created more the made up for that. It us easier for two and being organised and having a system everyone knows helps harmony.

Same here. Pop up tent allows things like car seats, outdoor shoes, cycling gear, bedding (that’s in a vacuum packed bag) to be chucked into the tent to free up some space for crisps and wine.

If you don’t have a pop up tent then you have to be good at Tetris to find space for the car seats
If you’ve got a Thule towbar bikerack then a Backspace XT is another option, we put our pram and two car seats in it of an evening with plenty of room to spare. In fact the pram lives in it full time so we don’t have to deal with the muddy wheels in the van.

IMG_2967.jpeg

If you’ve got a Thule towbar bikerack then a Backspace XT is another option, we put our pram and two car seats in it of an evening with plenty of room to spare. In fact the pram lives in it full-time so we don’t have to deal with the muddy wheels in the van.

View attachment 121508
Would that fit on the VW tailgate rack?

Quite the opposite for me! I am more and more happy with my Beach the longer I have it. The only remorse I have is that I didn’t get it 10 years ago.

That said I use it as a daily vehicle and my point of comparison for camping was a tent!
Exactly. The secret is putting a lot of objective thought into how you are actually going to use the vehicle, based on real experience (rent before you buy is easier than buying more than once). My Beach does what I want it to brilliantly, going from a split level camper with couch and kitchen downstairs and bedroom upstairs to 7 person sports team transportation, and it does it all while driving and parking wherever a car can. There’s a reason VW can and does charge a ridiculous price for the California: it saves the price of having a dedicated camper parked while you use another vehicle for “normal” stuff. When that is taken into account, larger campers are much more expensive unless they are used more than they are parked. My only remorse is not having bought mine sooner.

I don’t think so mate, it’s designed to go on the Velospace XT series bike racks AFAIK
I just looked at the instructions, might be able to made to fit, or its a Fiamma ultrabox, only in white.

Back