Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buyer’s Remorse

The more we use our Cali the more we love it (leaky roof canvas aside). There’s only 2 of us so a lot easier for us than for those with kids and we found the less you take plus the more you practice, 2 weeks away in a confined space is very achievable - even when you can’t put the roof up.
But we do, as I’m sure most do, succumb to the occasional bout of WIBOOT (wish I’d bought one of those). Mainly the 6m+ Crafter/MAN conversions as you have a fixed bed, shower, hot water and can stand easily. But those come with their own box of compromises too - not a car replacement for everyday driving, height restrictions, fuel economy and even washing them - I don’t relish being 3+ metres up a ladder washing a van roof!
So the conversation always finishes with us concluding that we bought the best vehicle for us with the fewest, least important compromises. Sure, in years to come our requirements may very well change but for now we are contented with our choice.

Although, the new 2024 Ford Nugget looks nice…
The new 2024 Nugget looks amazing!

1) 330w solar as standard!

2) You can spec a 3 pin Vehicle to Load 240V domestic plug socket on the plug-in hybrid version, removing any charging issues and meaning microwaves and hairdryers, coffee machines and induction cooking (topped up by the huge solar on the roof) are all possible and completely negating the need for any gas on board whatsoever - something I've been lugging an AC Max Bluetti around to achieve until now.

3) They have built-in water heater and shower hose.

4) You can sleep 4 and still access the kitchen / porta potty.

5) They've stolen the Cali chairs-in-the-rear door idea.

...Just sayin'...

2) You can spec a 3 pin Vehicle to Load 240V domestic plug socket on the plug-in hybrid version, removing any charging issues and meaning microwaves and hairdryers, coffee machines and induction cooking (topped up by the huge solar on the roof) are all possible and completely negating the need for any gas on board whatsoever - something I've been lugging an AC Max Bluetti around to achieve until now.

...Just sayin'...
2. why do they still have a gas hob then? Im struggling to see where I would carry a microwave & coffee machine
4. you might be able to get to the kitchen with the beds in sleeping position but I cant see how you can use the kitchen without putting the roof up.
5. they've stolen the spirit level as well
6. I cant find the report I read it in, but it said it was 2.06m high - that for me rules it out as an everyday vehicle.

Have any of you - be honest - ever felt some initial buyer’s remorse? The reality of shuffling the family/partner about trying to make the bed, move the gubbins around to make space to get dressed, spin the chairs, move the child seat etc etc?

I have owned & travelled in many VW campers over the years. Having re-engaged the itch with a family, it’s a very different prospect!

Just wondering how others honestly felt in the early months of ownership.
What a great question especially as it’s not a cheap decision. My wife had a nightmare the first couple of nights at a local campsite as we’d never own a CV before. In retrospect we found it a great learning experience and we have no regrets whatsoever about the purchase of our Coast. When we think of the trips we’ve made even to the UK it’s brought us some very happy memories

Which do you think make more sense as a mini motorhome? Always interested in options.

I think the Nuggets (especially the high roof version which isn’t yet available in UK) are better for purely camping. Most Westfalia Transporter conversions although they aren’t cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any of you - be honest - ever felt some initial buyer’s remorse? The reality of shuffling the family/partner about trying to make the bed, move the gubbins around to make space to get dressed, spin the chairs, move the child seat etc etc?

I have owned & travelled in many VW campers over the years. Having re-engaged the itch with a family, it’s a very different prospect!

No.

...Just sayin'...
Not sure that I would ever need a mains powered coffee machine, microwave, induction cooker and hair dryer when camping. Does anyone like to keep things simple these days?

Not sure that I would ever need a mains powered coffee machine, microwave, induction cooker and hair dryer when camping. Does anyone like to keep things simple these days?
Hiya Kayleigh, they are just examples - my point is that whatever you need to plug in, it is now possible with V2L technology that many hybrid and EVs now offer including the new Nugget.

I must confess to having a spouse that loves her creature comforts and gizmos when camping. It was one of the many compromises necessary to persuade her to come sleep in a 'tent on a van' as she refers to it! Up until now we've been lugging around a heavy 2kWh solar generator to enable AC power.

Drive away awning. Perfect for putting stuff in, sitting in etc. just unhook and go for days out. No clutter in van

Hear hear. Although I confess, I do have an electric kettle to plug into the power bank. I find a quick tea is an easy win to rally the troops on a gloomy day.

I started going down the rabbit hole of thinking an induction hob, air fryer etc would be fun for cooking.

I then took a long hard look at myself and remembered the whole point of camping (for me & family), was the simple pleasures. Scenery, nature, simple meals etc. Trying to recreate my home in a 5m van was defeating the point.

(Dark confession, I did have an electric blanket night one, but it was sub zero at night and we were upstairs. Sadly didn’t keep the pneumonia at bay!).

As I’m in confessional mode. The remorse could be re-stated as spousal dissatisfaction. She can do two nights max before the van becomes like the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. Only without a bar and a lot less space!

Daughter loves it. Suspect our first 6 nights being in weather & ground conditions akin to The Somme hasn’t helped.

I’ll see how we go when the sun shines and we can spread out into the outdoors.

As I’m in confessional mode. The remorse could be re-stated as spousal dissatisfaction. She can do two nights max before the van becomes like the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. Only without a bar and a lot less space!

Daughter loves it. Suspect our first 6 nights being in weather & ground conditions akin to The Somme hasn’t helped.

I’ll see how we go when the sun shines and we can spread out into the outdoors.
Camping when it's cool and wet can be pretty awful and easy to fall out with spouse over something and nothing etc. We made max use of our camper when our son was growing up between April & October half term. We used a topper int & ext to keep the top dry and warm which helped massively. An Isotop int liner would be money well spent. We also picked locations where there was something for everyone and usually somewhere to eat so we didn't have to cook every night.
We all agree our summer Euro vacations in the Cali were amazing and made it all worthwhile. The dodgy nights sleep was soon forgotten with the memories we made. Stick with it, pack light and find a routine for everything and the small space becomes easier. We are not natural born campers but loved our Cali adventures once we'd found what works for us. :thumb

Last edited:
Camping when it's cool and wet can be pretty awful and easy to fall out with spouse over something and nothing etc. We made max use of our camper when our son was growing up between April & October half term. We used a topper int & ext to keep the top dry and warm which helped massively. An Isotop int liner would be money well spent. We also picked locations where there was something for everyone and usually somewhere to eat so we didn't have to cook every night.
We all agree our summer Euro vacations in the Cali were amazing and made it all worthwhile. The dodgy nights sleep was soon forgotten with the memories we made. Stick with it, pack light and find a routine for everything and the small space becomes easier. We are not natural born campers but loved our Cali adventures once we'd found what works for us. :thumb

Spot on! After years of wild camping in a tiny tent in all weathers I find I can cope with the cold no problem but the wet is real test of resolve. I’ll take -10° and dry over 15° and wet anytime. I’ve never wished for a bathroom in my Cali but somewhere to dry wet clothes and boots would extend my camping opportunities considerably!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on! After years of wild camping in a tiny tent in all weathers I find I can cope with the cold no problem but the wet is real test of resolve. I’ll take -10° and dry over 15° and wet anytime. I’ve never wished for a bathroom in my Cali but somewhere to dry wet clothes and boots would extend my camping opportunities considerably!

Absolutely agreed. Cold I can tolerate. There are always mitigations.

There’s no mitigation for drenched wet and the van smelling like a wet dog!

I started going down the rabbit hole of thinking an induction hob, air fryer etc would be fun for cooking.
A slow cooker is a great addition though. Set it going in the morning, and come back to just what you need after a long walk…

Well… the Cali owners dilema…
Last I had those remorses, sold my 4Motion for a 7,5 m long “all in house” motorhome. Sold it after not beeing able to park for a simple coffee. After, had a small Eriba (to small) tried a bigger motorhome again and once again no agility and so went again to a caravan (much cheaper for the same luxe).
After all these years felt a regret on selling the 4Motion. 5 years after got my hands into a 5.1 again.
It’s my daily car. I do everything with my 5 and 9 year old. From daily picnics to a staring 5 night out ima yellow village type camping sight!!!
Will not want to feel that regreat again. For now it’s a keeper and from hereafter only a newer Cali or maybe a Marco Polo… but the same type of car.

I strongly believe that the Transporter based Cali's makes most sense when used as a daily driver/camper hybrid rather than as a mini motorhome. There are better and indeed cheaper options for that.

Couldn’t agree more.
Sold our ‘69 T2a and Citroen C4 in 2016 to fund a T6 conversion and now have an Ocean as a daily driver with no regrets. :thumb

Only remorse is Diamond cut alloys starting corroding not long out of warranty, if I’d realised I would have swapped them for std at purchase.

I was going to agree until I saw the lower bed is heated

Back