Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a new California 6.1 Ocean - any good deals out there?

D

DGB99

Vehicle
Looking to buy
After much thought I am close to buying a new 6.1 Ocean. I was considering waiting for a new T7 but hopefully will get a better deal on one of the last 6.1s. I am aware of DrivetheDeal but has anyone seen any particularly good offers on new Oceans? Not over-stressed about specific colour or 'extras'. Anything else I should be aware of?

Speak to the team, (Tom’s the main man, but is head of finance now? ) at Breeze.
They should be as good if not better than DTD now.

If you like washing the car, a lot. Get black. Aha.
So many colours to choose from.
I’m looking at a starlight blue T7.
Will see how that one fares for the next 4 years.

I would recommend Citygate in Woodburn Green, they seem to have access to a lot of different specs that are not advertised on their website. After I contacted them with some options I liked, they sent through a list of about 10 vans and were happy to negotiate a discount comparable to Drive the deal. Sean met me at the airport, kept the dealership open till well after 6 on a Friday night. My local dealers didn't seem interested

I would recommend Citygate in Woodburn Green, they seem to have access to a lot of different specs that are not advertised on their website. After I contacted them with some options I liked, they sent through a list of about 10 vans and were happy to negotiate a discount comparable to Drive the deal. Sean met me at the airport, kept the dealership open till well after 6 on a Friday night. My local dealers didn't seem interested
Been in touch today, have 3 available now and sent me Autotrader prices. Any others out there anyone has spotted?

Okay, I'm getting there. Couple of questions:
- differences between 150PS and 204PS (apart from the obvious)
- is the Sports package worth having?
- is Art velour seating worth having?
Thanks everyone!

Another vote for Liverpool.

I cover seats with many layers due to dogs and me being clumsy, so can't help there!

I suggest searching the forum. There was a lot of discussion regarding seats and options, even a few days ago.

Thanks everyone!
- 150 is more than enough power. 204 might be preferable if you have 4motion and want to tow, otherwise unnecessary expense.
- Sports Pack looks great on paler colours - Ascot, silver, white, beige - but the black wheels look a bit sombre/after market against black or blue paint, and the rest of the black bits then become indiscernible too imo.
- Art velours looks good but is expensive and if you have kids/dogs or are going to cover the seats, you might be better off covering cloth seats with decent covers for half the price. Peel the covers off and voila! New seats…
None of those 3 options should be a deal breaker if you ask me - you’ll be happy with or without them.

SMG Tonbridge were brilliant at sorting me out a deal on a new Ocean. Only option I really wanted was the towbar but they found me one with a few other extras (wood effect flooring/shower/storage pack). Nice to have but certainly not essential imo

- 150 is more than enough power. 204 might be preferable if you have 4motion and want to tow, otherwise unnecessary expense.
- Sports Pack looks great on paler colours - Ascot, silver, white, beige - but the black wheels look a bit sombre/after market against black or blue paint, and the rest of the black bits then become indiscernible too imo.
- Art velours looks good but is expensive and if you have kids/dogs or are going to cover the seats, you might be better off covering cloth seats with decent covers for half the price. Peel the covers off and voila! New seats…
None of those 3 options should be a deal breaker if you ask me - you’ll be happy with or without them.
This is great because it highlights how individuals can differ so much on options. We couldn’t be without art velour, and we didn’t have it in our first van. We have kids and the extra cost is the same as good seat covers. The fabric seats water mark really easily and we don’t like the feel as much. We’ve also had both 150 and 204 and the 204 is much better, even with 2WD. And the sports pack to us is a waste of money. Extremely overpriced for what it is! YMMV. It’s all individual afterall.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!
I test drove the 150PS and found it fine, however I ended up buying a 204 because it ticked the other boxes. It's better on B roads but on motorways and A roads and around town the 150 is just as good. I drove the van 600 miles home and averaged 40.4mpg

I love the sports package, it's an £80k van and the sports package and art velours makes it feel like it. I also opted for the wood effect floor, not only because it looks better but because it's much easier to clean

Citygate had a Fortana red one in the showroom with the Sports pack when I picked up mine, it was stunning

Thanks everyone!
We have the 204PS but tow with it. Am certain I wouldn't have been happy with the 150PS.

We also have:

Towbar - essential
Art velours - very pleased
80l fuel tank - awesome
Wood effect flooring - v nice
Safe - err. Not sure about this...
Uncomfortable mattress - hmm

No cost option was the integral wet room courtesy of the leaky bellows.

For us, art velours and wood floor would be wasted as both are covered by seat covers and carpets respectively. The 204 would be a nice bonus in power, but to me it wasn't worth the significant uplift in cost and most of the time is spent pootling anyway. The 150 has enough power for overtakes if planned, even when fully laden. My only two regrets are the bigger fuel tank and removable towbar (for bikes).

Options are all subjective and now the OP will be looking at stock vehicles, so it'll be a case of it is what it is.

Our 2017 150 DSG towed no problems at all, didn't matter size of trailer, we got 30-33mpg towing and 45-52 mpg solo.
The 80 litre tank is a must! As is reversing camera, and front/rear sensors, we had the sports steering wheel and used the paddles three times in 7 years.

Thanks everyone!
Art velour seats much more supportive IMHO and easier to wipe / clean.
204 will give you more acceleration when you want it which I like for safety ..still got 40mpg on a 80 ml run at the weekend so don’t be drawn into less economical…it’s the same engine just chipped differently so why not be able to use the power it can provide.
Sports pack is just cosmetic but can look nice ..but then without it will still look nice

204 will give you more acceleration when you want it which I like for safety ..still got 40mpg on a 80 ml run at the weekend so don’t be drawn into less economical…it’s the same engine just chipped differently so why not be able to use the power it can provide.
That's not strictly true; there is at least one significant physical difference beyond the mapping and that's the fact the 204 is a bi-turbo. The fact the engine has been designed for increased power will mean it is likely to always struggle to match a 150 for economy in like-for-like situations, albeit the differences might not be huge.

With all that said, I do appreciate the extra flexibility that engine would provide though and I have absolutely no doubt it drives better, it's just like anything, there are compromises. :)

Back