Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying Beach 6.1 a mistake...

Good advice
An honest review that raises an important question:

Just how certain are you that a Coast will be any more right for you?

You say that "We don't like camping for long periods". Is it just the Beach that doesn't suit or could it be the whole Cali experience itself? If you are certain that the Coast will be right for you then fine. However, van life isn't for everyone. I'm sure that you wouldn't be the first owner to discover that the expectations of living the dream don't quite match up with the day to day practicalities of living in a small space.

Before you hand over your hard earned why not hire one (when it's possible) for a short trip away in order to confirm your thoughts?
Good advice but new job and new house will need a Cali for the next couple of years so we’re sure we need one. Works for us, comfortable van that gives us more options and more freedom

Good advice

Good advice but new job and new house will need a Cali for the next couple of years so we’re sure we need one. Works for us, comfortable van that gives us more options and more freedom
Until they make the Grenadier and I can sleep in that

Thanks. Like you, I would like to keep my still to be purchased california for ever. My current car bought new is 18 years old...

Another reasons to go coast is the digital display. When this will pack up, vw will want 5000 quid for it.

The only stuff I want from the ocean is the auto clim and chassis / wheels for 5 seater.

Is there a window missing on the coast you cannot specify as extra? Cali Chris says so in one of his video.

As a bonus, I find the wood finish nicer in the coast
MUCH prefer the Coast wood, especially with a matching wood floor. Virtual dash rubbish too. I use Waze on my phone. Ocean grey units reminded me of the 1980’s Magnet budget kitchen in my first flat

Is there a window missing on the coast you cannot specify as extra? Cali Chris says so in one of his videos
As I said above, you can spec this window now:

MUCH prefer the Coast wood, especially with a matching wood floor. Virtual dash rubbish too. I use Waze on my phone. Ocean grey units reminded me of the 1980’s Magnet budget kitchen in my first flat

As anyone tried to spec all the extra needed to bring a coast to ocean level? I do not understand where the 8,500 pounds are... I can see about 5,000: led lights, interior light, 17 inch wheels, auto clim

There's the fog lights, radio, fancy dashboard, window in sliding door, front opening bellows, interior light package, heated seats, climate control, chrome, double glazed rear window (not an option on the coast), side assist, parking assist...

That's off the top if my head anyway...

There's the fog lights, radio, fancy dashboard, window in sliding door, front opening bellows, interior light package, heated seats, climate control, chrome, double glazed rear window (not an option on the coast), side assist, parking assist...

That's off the top if my head anyway...
Thats a good start..
And as above..
+ 17” Alloys
Electric Roof
LED headlights

I’m looking at a few options on a Beach and without adding anything really fancy, the options come to around 10k! That's without 2 tone paint, Electric Roof, Side Assist, Digital Dash, Sat Nav, Lights and Vision, Interior LED’s, Towbar! I ticked a few extra boxes the other day and got the options over 18 grand!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sad
As anyone tried to spec all the extra needed to bring a coast to ocean level? I do not understand where the 8,500 pounds are... I can see about 5,000: led lights, interior light, 17 inch wheels, auto clim
I did this back in September and it comes very close in price maybe 500 or so difference. You would have to be strongly apposed to the electric roof to do that though as there are still some extras on the ocean you can’t get on the coast. But knock off a few of the big ticket items and the coast starts to look more attractive.

LHD DSG 4motion Coast with
  • Pale wooden floor that matches the pale Coast cabinets
  • Front canvas window
  • Auxiliary heater no remote
  • Plug in 230v
  • Comfort mattress
  • 80L tank
  • Cheapest parking option with front and rear sensors and camera
  • Rubber mats
  • Climatronic
  • Acoustic tinted glass
  • Free red paint, will wrap the top half in white
Thats very similar to the LHD Cali Coast I plan to order. Can I ask where you are getting your's? One dealer I contacted in Europe is telling me a 10-12 month lead time.

Just a teeny IMHO having spent a wonderful summer in our 6.1 Beach, mainly in Denmark. As a small family with dog we have concluded , contrary to my Beach pride previous postings, that we made a mistake :sorry. Apologies too for the lack of recent postings, new job, new house, life has been chaos but good chaos.

We love Cali life - no regrets but this model isn't for us. We want kitchen smells, a teeny fridge and dont need the whopper bed downstairs nor the double sliding doors. We don't like camping for long periods. It only works for us for one or two nights max. As a Covid busting, beachside, Euro Tour holiday wagon a Cali cannot be beaten but we dont want to set up a scout camp every time we stop.

The Beach's NavPro is dire, VW connect wifi a rip off, we dont need extra inside and outside LED's, nor extra front and rear lights and dont like the black interior. And what genius made the roof black on the Tour edition? Someone that enjoys poaching young children? And to add insult to sticky toddlers...the front canvas doesnt open? What's this? Prison spec?

Traction on the 2wd 6.1's ( even on the fabulous Michelin Cross tyres) is scrabblingly poor, especially when loaded.

I want a 230v hook up ( optional and not on mine...Zzzz) and two seats that swivel rather than our one. The table doesn't swing up, it's in the door and is poorly designed for stowage. So we've sold the 6.1 Beach Tour. The supplying dealer called me up and offered me 3% less than I paid new for it so I can avoid the DVLA registration nightmare and road tax cost. Goodbye Bubble Beach 6.1. Hello Bubble Coast 6.1View attachment 68904

Have ordered for March 2021 delivery. I need a no silly extras specification to keep the residual healthy.

LHD DSG 4motion Coast with
  • Pale wooden floor that matches the pale Coast cabinets
  • Front canvas window
  • Auxiliary heater no remote
  • Plug in 230v
  • Comfort mattress
  • 80L tank
  • Cheapest parking option with front and rear sensors and camera
  • Rubber mats
  • Climatronic
  • Acoustic tinted glass
  • Free red paint, will wrap the top half in white

I've kept my moon disc alloy wheels with tyres too to swap over...I'll be putting up a pile of Beach only accessories for sale soon.

Don't tell my wife that I have admitted that I was wrong, we're out of smelling salts but just thought I'd post the post that I'd like to have read before buying our Beach 6.1. IMHO.
So basically your Beach was not speced well at all. Why did you not get the Camp version instead? Only one sliding door and a mini kitchen built in. 230V is an option you spec ( I never uses ours after solar install). You just spec which seats should svivel and not (I have only sviveled the drivers seat once during our 4 years). Our canvas can be opened on both sides, no issue for us and makes it work with the Brandrup isotop (which probably will be tricky if you get the one which can bo opened in two ways in front).

There’s quite a difference.
But the big one is Rear Climate. My old Beach was missing this option.
It’s a must have option, especially if you have kids.

There’s quite a difference.
But the big one is Rear Climate. My old Beach was missing this option.
It’s a must have option, especially if you have kids.

Yep. What is the view on the LED versus H7. Two considerations here again. Long term, the h7 will be cheap to maintain and run. The LED could be costly I assume LED are not replacable and the whole headlight will not changing? Second, is the H7 good enough?

Yep. What is the view on the LED versus H7. Two considerations here again. Long term, the h7 will be cheap to maintain and run. The LED could be costly I assume LED are not replacable and the whole headlight will not changing? Second, is the H7 good enough?
The LED are like daylight, the H7 are adequate if you don't do much night driving...

Ive not used the H7 on the Cali but many on here have said that the LEDs do make a night and day difference. In my own experience, the LEDs are a must. They do a great job.

I've had the H7s for the last 6 yrs and 97k miles with a fair amount of nighttime driving. I fitted Osram Night breaker bulbs and find them perfectly adequate.
Unless something has changed on the T6. 1 I, personally, wouldn't be paying extra for them.

We have the H4 (!) which are fine on full beam, on low beam seems to aim too low, so will tend to use the fogs to compensate as most of night driving around us unlit country roads; Personally I wouldn't pay extra for LED as think there are better things to spend money on but would upgrade to H7 if not already fitted as standard.

We have the H4 (!) which are fine on full beam, on low beam seems to aim too low, so will tend to use the fogs to compensate as most of night driving around us unlit country roads; Personally I wouldn't pay extra for LED as think there are better things to spend money on but would upgrade to H7 if not already fitted as standard.

I found my low beam also aimed too low...but you can adjust them.
When I did, it made a huge improvement.
Obviously you have to be careful.

Agree with a lot of above .
The H7s are adequate, the LEDs are far better. £2.5k better...?
Well, I wouldn’t pay it personally. But each to their own.

Reactions: Sad
Agree with a lot of above .
The H7s are adequate, the LEDs are far better. £2.5k better...?
Well, I wouldn’t pay it personally. But each to their own.

But the real question is "is it 1.2k better?" ;-)

Any idea on long term reliability? Planning to own this in 15 years time and do not want to have to fork out 1500 pounds if one led fails.

Any idea on long term reliability? Planning to own this in 15 years time and do not want to have to fork out 1500 pounds if one led fails.
I'm sure the LED lights are modular just like regular lights. Replace the non functioning part, not the entire headlight unit.

Still sounds like a lot of money for fairy lights:D
Anyway, it’s more fun driving in the dark...

The only reason I would spec them, is if they made a dramatic difference to the way the van looks.
Poser points ;)

Thats very similar to the LHD Cali Coast I plan to order. Can I ask where you are getting your's? One dealer I contacted in Europe is telling me a 10-12 month lead time.

Great minds!

autounger.com speak to Uli

Will upgrade all bulbs if needed, I’m tempted by fitting driving lights (ie ones that dip and undip) plus maybe a “throw” long distance centre spot, popular in Sweden

Definitely buying the £2.99 fairy lights off Amazon in lieu of the £726 vw camping “concept” interior LED option...

no LED QED

B85EBCF2-ECF0-4839-8A0F-8DAE76F1718D.jpeg

A Rally Cali :)

Where are you registering your LHD Cali? If not Germany will they assist with documentation? What lead time were you given?
Delivery March April, will look at maybe French or Monaco registration. My Beach had German three month export plates on - thus the limping snail of the DVLA and ££££ UK road tax avoided

Back