Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying Beach 6.1 a mistake...

Tomato

Tomato

Vehicle
N/A
Just a teeny IMHO having spent a wonderful summer in our 6.1 Beach, mainly in Denmark. As a small family with dog we have concluded , contrary to my Beach pride previous postings, that we made a mistake :sorry. Apologies too for the lack of recent postings, new job, new house, life has been chaos but good chaos.

We love Cali life - no regrets but this model isn't for us. We want kitchen smells, a teeny fridge and dont need the whopper bed downstairs nor the double sliding doors. We don't like camping for long periods. It only works for us for one or two nights max. As a Covid busting, beachside, Euro Tour holiday wagon a Cali cannot be beaten but we dont want to set up a scout camp every time we stop.

The Beach's NavPro is dire, VW connect wifi a rip off, we dont need extra inside and outside LED's, nor extra front and rear lights and dont like the black interior. And what genius made the roof black on the Tour edition? Someone that enjoys poaching young children? And to add insult to sticky toddlers...the front canvas doesnt open? What's this? Prison spec?

Traction on the 2wd 6.1's ( even on the fabulous Michelin Cross tyres) is scrabblingly poor, especially when loaded.

I want a 230v hook up ( optional and not on mine...Zzzz) and two seats that swivel rather than our one. The table doesn't swing up, it's in the door and is poorly designed for stowage. So we've sold the 6.1 Beach Tour. The supplying dealer called me up and offered me 3% less than I paid new for it so I can avoid the DVLA registration nightmare and road tax cost. Goodbye Bubble Beach 6.1. Hello Bubble Coast 6.1Bubble in DK.jpg

Have ordered for March 2021 delivery. I need a no silly extras specification to keep the residual healthy.

LHD DSG 4motion Coast with
  • Pale wooden floor that matches the pale Coast cabinets
  • Front canvas window
  • Auxiliary heater no remote
  • Plug in 230v
  • Comfort mattress
  • 80L tank
  • Cheapest parking option with front and rear sensors and camera
  • Rubber mats
  • Climatronic
  • Acoustic tinted glass
  • Free red paint, will wrap the top half in white

I've kept my moon disc alloy wheels with tyres too to swap over...I'll be putting up a pile of Beach only accessories for sale soon.

Don't tell my wife that I have admitted that I was wrong, we're out of smelling salts but just thought I'd post the post that I'd like to have read before buying our Beach 6.1. IMHO.

It does look nice in that pic :)

I'm not sure about some of the new Beach compromises, I like having the single slider as it feels more homely with one was in and out and some storage, guess I'm happy with my T6 Beach.

I would love the front window though, maybe I'll find a way to get that at some point.

So, 4motion is available on the Coast over the channel then I guess; is that 150 or 199? How do you find the LHD when using in the UK? And how do you find the dealer and prices compare? Sorry, lots of questions but I like the concept. Enjoyed reading your post too btw.

i swapped my beach for an ocean. although i did keep the beach a bit longer than you . ha. you answer a lot of questions there about the beach tour 6.1 NO HOOK UP .
i prefer the ocean, (not getting into the debate). i like your coast spec, you won't need the heater remote, i have it and never use it. love the wheels. good luck with the new order.

I think your coast spec only needs the climatronic (because you have rear passengers), the rear camera and the front bellows opening.

What is the name of those wheels?

I really appreciate your honesty and feedback about why the Beach was not for you. Whilst I think it is right for my circumstances, your comprehensive review has helped my specification for what I want to order. Thank you.

I think your coast spec only needs the climatronic (because you have rear passengers), the rear camera and the front bellows opening.

What is the name of those wheels?

So if my maths is roughly right you have enjoyed a summer testing your own Tour and been able to change your mind, think about the spec that works for you and walk away having spent less than the cost of hiring one for a longish holiday? Result!

You now get to enjoy the new vehicle handover feeling all over again. Good work.

Nice to read an honest opinion of someone who can admit to himself, -even if not to his wife ;-)- that he has made the wrong choice. And informative for others in the future. Hope you'll love your Coast. At least Denmark is a great place for camping and outdoors.

Also,.. just a small tip: a lot of people on these forums seem to agree that the comfort matress is not ehm... comfortable. Dunno if it's free, cheap or expensive, but you could consider not getting it and in that way saving a few bucks on buying one of the other matresses that get great reviews here.

An honest review that raises an important question:

Just how certain are you that a Coast will be any more right for you?

You say that "We don't like camping for long periods". Is it just the Beach that doesn't suit or could it be the whole Cali experience itself? If you are certain that the Coast will be right for you then fine. However, van life isn't for everyone. I'm sure that you wouldn't be the first owner to discover that the expectations of living the dream don't quite match up with the day to day practicalities of living in a small space.

Before you hand over your hard earned why not hire one (when it's possible) for a short trip away in order to confirm your thoughts?

O/P I ran a Beach for almost 6 years and loved my time with it. I then changed to an Ocean and wish I had done it sooner.

I now want a 4motion Coast or 4motion Ocean with manual roof, but unfortunately VW UK won’t give these to us. So I’m stuck with my current Ocean until they do...

Great choice Tomato, we sold our Ocean in the summer as i knew we would struggle to use it in the current climate, when things improve we will order a Coast with panoramic roof 17 inch wheels and a couple of other extras and hopefully the market here will have calmed down but who knows what's ahead.

Enjoy your new Cali when it comes I'm sure you will enjoy all that extra storage and kitchen facilities. ;)

O/P I ran a Beach for almost 6 years and loved my time with it. I then changed to an Ocean and wish I had done it sooner.

I now want a 4motion Coast or 4motion Ocean with manual roof, but unfortunately VW UK won’t give these to us. So I’m stuck with my current Ocean until they do...
What is the problem with electric roof?

Have you had issues with FWD?

What is the problem with electric roof?

It annoys me how long it takes to rise and fall. Having owned the manual version on the Beach, I prefer the simplicity of that roof.
The electric roof is like a ticking timebomb, once the warranty expires.
It will be problematic getting it repaired, as few people know the California roof system.

If Volkswagen don’t release an Ocean with manual roof, I will possibly convert mine at some point or move onto a conversion van.
I can’t believe I’m saying that, A Conversion Van...!!!

Last edited:
Have you had issues with FWD?

Nothing major, it copes well enough. But sick of wheel spin on slippery junctions etc.
The 200bhp engine has lots of grunt and 4M should be standard with that unit.
I think the DSG box doesn’t help either with initial traction.

I doubt it’s an issue with the 150 Ocean.
But ordering again my must haves are
200bhp
4motion
DSG
Manual Roof

Hence, why I might have to go conversion for future replacement. Sadly...

It annoys me how long it takes to rise and fall. Having owned the manual version on the Beach, I prefer the simplicity of that roof.
It will be problematic getting it repaired, as few people know the California roof system.

If Volkswagen don’t realise an Ocean with manual roof, I will possibly convert mine at some point or move onto a conversion van.
:bananadance2 I'm not typing your name out it takes too bloody long, oh er.:bananadance2

Presumably Mr S, you would go for a Coast rather than the C word. The more I think about it the more I like the Coast. I just wish VW would either spec or add to the options list an opening window in the sliding door.:thumb

Nothing major, it copes well enough. But sick of wheel spin on slippery junctions etc.

200bhp
4motion
DSG
Manual Roof

200bhp
4motion
DSG
Manual Roof

200bhp
4motion
DSG
Manual Roof

I did some research on conversions before settling on an Ocean. I thought I might as well have a long wheelbase. I got very good feelings about 8ball, Freedom Conversions and Autohaus (in that order cheaper to expensive). Amazing how many don’t call you back or take the time when they do. Many of the companies tried to talk me out of LWB (there’s 3 of us - inc 1 eleven year old) and when I was convinced they were right and started thinking about the double headache of sourcing a new transporter (kombi? Some said yes some no) and spec’ing it and keeping fingers crossed about quality, then realising the price was going to be close to a Drive the Deal Cali....I couldn’t do it. I am going to have the DSG remapped (TVS drivability) which I heard helps massively with (funnily enough) drivability...
Sounds as though the only thing you can’t get from VW is an ocean without the power roof ... if it does fail out of warranty, presumably you could choose to replace with a manual mechanism?

:bananadance2 I'm not typing your name out it takes too bloody long, oh er.:bananadance2

Presumably Mr S, you would go for a Coast rather than the C word. The more I think about it the more I like the Coast. I just wish VW would either spec or add to the options list an opening window in the sliding door.:thumb
They have, been an option for a while:
Screenshot_20201107-120208_Chrome.jpg

Other than the lack of hook up it looks ideal for me. Would love twin sliders although perfect for me would be a single.sliding door on the left

If Volkswagen don’t realise an Ocean with manual roof, I will possibly convert mine at some point or move onto a conversion van.

Thanks. Like you, I would like to keep my still to be purchased california for ever. My current car bought new is 18 years old...

Another reasons to go coast is the digital display. When this will pack up, vw will want 5000 quid for it.

The only stuff I want from the ocean is the auto clim and chassis / wheels for 5 seater.

Is there a window missing on the coast you cannot specify as extra? Cali Chris says so in one of his video.

As a bonus, I find the wood finish nicer in the coast

I did some research on conversions before settling on an Ocean. I thought I might as well have a long wheelbase. I got very good feelings about 8ball, Freedom Conversions and Autohaus (in that order cheaper to expensive). Amazing how many don’t call you back or take the time when they do. Many of the companies tried to talk me out of LWB (there’s 3 of us - inc 1 eleven year old) and when I was convinced they were right and started thinking about the double headache of sourcing a new transporter (kombi? Some said yes some no) and spec’ing it and keeping fingers crossed about quality, then realising the price was going to be close to a Drive the Deal Cali....I couldn’t do it. I am going to have the DSG remapped (TVS drivability) which I heard helps massively with (funnily enough) drivability...
Sounds as though the only thing you can’t get from VW is an ocean without the power roof ... if it does fail out of warranty, presumably you could choose to replace with a manual mechanism?

I think I’m going to try the TVS remap too.
I’ve never had any issue like this before and actually wonder if it’s the DSG gearbox that just dumps to much torque down leaving your wheels spinning.
It’s either, not moving or spinning.

Ive gone my entire life without needing 4 wheel drive, had a couple of occasions where it would of helped, however I’ve not been stuck. Managed to get myself out with the standard 2wd.
There’s tricks, like using carpet in snow or getting some wood down.

The truth is, I have no desire to change my current van unless it’s goi g to offering me a lot more. Unfortunately the 6.1 on a 6 or even T5.1 isn’t all that different when it comes to sleeping in the van at night...

Thanks. Like you, I would like to keep my still to be purchased california for ever. My current car bought new is 18 years old...

Another reasons to go coast is the digital display. When this will pack up, vw will want 5000 quid for it.

The only stuff I want from the ocean is the auto clim and chassis / wheels for 5 seater.

Is there a window missing on the coast you cannot specify as extra? Cali Chris says so in one of his video.

As a bonus, I find the wood finish nicer in the coast

Yes unfortunately like all modern stuff, the California has become far to complicated.
I wish they built it modular, without the overhead control unit and using stand alone controls,
Eberspacher diesel heater controller
Fridge simple button controls on the fridge
Manual roof
Remove the water gauges, no need. It’s empty, no water comes out?

So, 4motion is available on the Coast over the channel then I guess; is that 150 or 199? How do you find the LHD when using in the UK? And how do you find the dealer and prices compare? Sorry, lots of questions but I like the concept. Enjoyed reading your post too btw.
lhd no issue as you can see over traffic often, the adaptive cruise control is a nightmare, it’s set up for driving on the wrong side so is unusuable in multilane traffic in UK. 17% off EU list. It is 150HP but will remap to 199 safely (many ecu mappers offer a warranty). I prefer lhd abroad where the driving can be a bit madder. Thank you for your kind words

Back