Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Lane Assist

I collected our new California Ocean on Monday (yeah!) and on the drive back noticed that there was no lane assist function encouraging me to stay within the white line or nudging me if i didn't indicate when changing lanes. The side assist with the Amber light in the mirrors are working.

On my original configuration it said the van comes with 1) Lane assist with Side assist and 2) Lane change assist. In the driver assist menu there's is no option to activate or deactivate lane assist in the settings, just front assist, side assist and driver alert system.

I asked the dealer as they also explained lane assist to me during the handover. He said he was getting side assist confused with lane assist and the van is behaving how it is supposed to.

Do you think it's missing?
Did you buy the additional drivers assistance package, around £700 I seem to remember?

I collected our new California Ocean on Monday (yeah!) and on the drive back noticed that there was no lane assist function encouraging me to stay within the white line or nudging me if i didn't indicate when changing lanes. The side assist with the Amber light in the mirrors are working.

On my original configuration it said the van comes with 1) Lane assist with Side assist and 2) Lane change assist. In the driver assist menu there's is no option to activate or deactivate lane assist in the settings, just front assist, side assist and driver alert system.

I asked the dealer as they also explained lane assist to me during the handover. He said he was getting side assist confused with lane assist and the van is behaving how it is supposed to.

Hi,I picked my ocean up last June and lane assist is missing on my van after Several months of emails,trips to my local van centre the dealership I bought it from have ordered me a new van they have been fantastic ,lane assist can’t be retrofitted,if you check the YouTube channel of California Chris it explains how to add/delete it

Thanks, I don't recall there being an additional drivers assistance package when ordered (June 2022). The configurator has changed since then, but I can see there is an option to remove side assist now, but no other options related to lane assist. On configuring another van using the current site it lists the same two standard features I had listed - 1) Lane assist with Side assist and 2) Lane change assist.

I've checked the California Chris video, and I don't' have that Green / Orange icon on the dash that he demonstrated.

When we ordered in March 21, the standard spec for an Ocean included Lane Assist with Side Assist, and Lane Change Assist. However these features are what I’d call “passive” assistance, with the orange light in the wing mirror. Drivers Assistance Package Plus (£750) uprated this to active assistance, moving the steering wheel plus dash warnings and indications. The package also included automatic headlights and traffic sign recognition. I can see that the Configurator nowadays has dropped the Drivers Assistance Package Plus, so that will explain what you have. It is odd that VW has chosen to remove automation options!

I also collected my van on Monday and Kane assist is missing from the menu options. Whilst general opinion seems against this feature I’ve had it on the Tiguan since 2019 and grown quite used to it so am disappointed

I also collected my van on Monday and Kane assist is missing from the menu options. Whilst general opinion seems against this feature I’ve had it on the Tiguan since 2019 and grown quite used to it so am disappointed
I think that the features and options list in the Configurator is very misleading, plus the lax use of terminology that means two different things. When we ordered back in March 21, I had a chat with our dealer to make sure we’d picked the right options and it was only this that highlighted we’d need to pick a cost option for the true (active) lane assist and side assist. And now it’s disappeared from the options list altogether!

Hi, just took delivery of my Cali Ocean, and also notice Lane Assist is missing. Checking the Brochure (2022 - June, 2022-September) there is no mention whatsoever of "Lane Assist"...only Side Assist. The dealer is checking, but it looks like VW may have removed this feature (supply problems ?)

20221130_091903.jpg

Hi, just took delivery of my Cali Ocean, and also notice Lane Assist is missing. Checking the Brochure (2022 - June, 2022-September) there is no mention whatsoever of "Lane Assist"...only Side Assist. The dealer is checking, but it looks like VW may have removed this feature (supply problems ?)

View attachment 102657
Hi,my van came without lane assist aswell oceans should have it ,here’s a picture of the configurator it shows it as standard on the ocean there is an option to delete it as photo shows

Hi,my van came without lane assist aswell oceans should have it ,here’s a picture of the configurator it shows it as standard on the ocean there is an option to delete it as photo shows

It's the same as on my old Skoda vRS and is absolutely awful.

How VW can still implement such an out of date system on such a premium vehicle is really mind boggling.

Proper lane assist has been in Teslas since 2013 for christ sake!! Not to mention always on cameras and working voice commands.

I really think VW should start investing in technical developers and look at their whole technology chain.

Amazingly, the tech is still crap in the latest ID cars.

It really puts me off VW in general - but I still love my van... it could just be a lot better with a few simple tech tweaks.

Even the cheapest Chinese cars are providing better tech options as standard in their new cars.

View attachment 102657
Sorry to say, at the time of ordering if you have not paid for Driver Assistance Plus (£750) these active features will not be present. It’s no longer in the configurator as you say. I don’t know when it was dropped. It wasn't covered in the Cali Chris video about MY23 spec.

Sorry to say, at the time of ordering if you have not paid for Driver Assistance Plus (£750) these active features will not be present. It’s no longer in the configurator as you say. I don’t know when it was dropped. It wasn't covered in the Cali Chris video about MY23 spec.
Thank you for the feedback. It seems that the dealer was also not aware !. I appear to have all the other ones I expected (PDCs ,ACC cruise control, Traffic sign recognition, blind spot monitoring-side assist..). I will have to live without Lane Assist.

I will have to live without Lane Assist.
The package also included automatic headlights and traffic sign recognition.
The automatic LED headlights are brilliant, and the traffic sign recognition is helpful even if its incorrect 1% of the time.
You're probably more likely to live without Lane Assist! It could potentially cause a bit of complacency/laziness but isn't smart/interventionist enough to save you. It's no more than a nudge for lazy drivers. I always have it on, but its bonging can occasionally annoy.

Thank you for the feedback. It seems that the dealer was also not aware !. I appear to have all the other ones I expected (PDCs ,ACC cruise control, Traffic sign recognition, blind spot monitoring-side assist..). I will have to live without Lane Assist.
You’re not missing much, I loved it on my old car but it’s rubbish on the California

I had a similar experience, I included Drivers Assistance Package (£750) October 2021; then, I changed colour early 2022. When the revised order form was sent it was explained by Eurovans Crawley that:

"You will Note that Driver`s assistance package Plus is now an obsolete option as part of that option `the lane change assist` is now standard. Therefore, the `High Beam Assist` and the `Traffic Sign Recognition` are now shown as separate cost options but it`s saving money below the previous cost price."

I should have worked out by omission that Lane Assist was being removed, but I did not. For the first week or two I endeavoured to get it operational - before coming across this posting.

It does, however, sound as if I am not missing much.

I had a similar experience, I included Drivers Assistance Package (£750) October 2021; then, I changed colour early 2022. When the revised order form was sent it was explained by Eurovans Crawley that:

"You will Note that Driver`s assistance package Plus is now an obsolete option as part of that option `the lane change assist` is now standard. Therefore, the `High Beam Assist` and the `Traffic Sign Recognition` are now shown as separate cost options but it`s saving money below the previous cost price."

I should have worked out by omission that Lane Assist was being removed, but I did not. For the first week or two I endeavoured to get it operational - before coming across this posting.

It does, however, sound as if I am not missing much.
And to properly capture the new spec from VW, the Lane Change Assist feature you have does what exactly?

From what I can tell it’s is the lights in the mirror housing that warn you about vehicles in your blind spot

I am still working out exactly what ‘Side Assist’ does in its entirety.

It certainly lights up on the inside face of each mirror when there is a vehicle in the blind spot. It also flashed brightly/vigorously once on my recent and first long drive (shortly after delivery) through Spain & Portugal. I am guessing that was because I swayed towards a car in my blind spot zone.

I need to read it up as I am a bit nervous about any practical experiments! I would welcome other’s advice if they know the side assist functions fully.

As explained above I spent some time trying to get the lane assist steering wheel nudge to work before finding out I did not have it. I have not yet got round to side assist.

From what I can tell it’s is the lights in the mirror housing that warn you about vehicles in your blind spot
That makes sense, so they’re not shipping active lane assist and active side assist, which must be part of the same system. There are two reasons I can think of, most probable is saving on microchips so vehicles can be manufactured more speedily. There’s also the negative feedback from customers on the function of the active lane assist.

Last edited:

It certainly lights up on the inside face of each mirror when there is a vehicle in the blind spot. It also flashed brightly/vigorously once on my recent and first long drive (shortly after delivery) through Spain & Portugal. I am guessing that was because I swayed towards a car in my blind spot zone.

I need to read it up as I am a bit nervous about any practical experiments! I would welcome other’s advice if they know the side assist functions fully.

As explained above I spent some time trying to get the lane assist steering wheel nudge to work before finding out I did not have it. I have not yet got round to side assist.

Side Assist and Lane Assist are poorly described and marketed by VW on the Cali. These titles are given in the list of standard kit., but from what posters are saying at the base spec the function in non active, and gives visual warnings, triggered by cameras and radar. In our MY22 6.1 Ocean with the added Driver Assistance Plus, the features are ‘active’ in that the steering is moved to suggest you shouldn’t stray into an overtaking cars path (it will keep you in your lane, even if your turn indicator is activated)., and tries to keep you in your lane re: lane assist. I‘ve “tested” these features a number of times. VW term this as ‘lane assist with lane changing assist’, or ‘lane assist with lane keeping assist’, which is a bit of poor comms.

I’m not going to suggest you test side assist as this involves pulling out in the path of an overtaking car, but to test your lane assist function just try crossing a lane marker without activating your turn indicator and see what happens. There should be a green lane marker on the dash anyway when the system is turned on and active, which turn amber when you cross the lane lines.

Here are the pages from our manual….

36A83B83-DE56-41AE-87D1-24BEDD4F56DE.jpeg

19D25D38-25F8-4607-A0D5-A67C4AE416E2.jpeg

D8CCDA45-0CE6-4923-A195-72432557EADE.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you @Hawthorn37 , I will work through that and the VW manual. I am pretty certain I have no trace of Lane Assist, other perhaps strangely than the ‘white’ wavy road symbol (which never alters) on my dash (top RH side), and that whilst I do have Side Assist it is passive (i.e. no wheel nudging or other corrective measures).

Thank you @Hawthorn37 , I will work through that and the VW manual. I am pretty certain I have no trace of Lane Assist, other perhaps strangely than the ‘white’ wavy road symbol (which never alters) on my dash (top RH side), and that whilst I do have Side Assist it is passive (i.e. no wheel nudging or other corrective measures).
Got a photo of the wavy symbol?
Sounds like the symbol for ‘comfort’ on my DCC system

Got a photo of the wavy symbol?
Sounds like the symbol for ‘comfort’ on my DCC system
Thank you, @66tim99 I think that answers that - I should have worked that out - I will change the DCC to check but I reckon that wavy road symbol will change or disappear.

Last edited:
Back