Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LANE ASSIST

According to the spec sheet and my dealer it's standard on the Ocean. I got my Ocean in December 22 and its not fitted.
Question now is should I have it installed or leave it as is.
I didn't think it was retro-fitable
Also wasn't there something on the VW website about parts not being available which was causing delivery delays & in the Uk people being able to bring delivery forward by accepting the van without it.

I didn't think it was retro-fitable
Also wasn't there something on the VW website about parts not being available which was causing delivery delays & in the Uk people being able to bring delivery forward by accepting the van without it.
My dealer thinks its a software issue and will need an overnight update at the workshop, it has the icon in the instrument cluster.
I thought that all new vehicles had to have it installed.

According to the spec sheet and my dealer it's standard on the Ocean. I got my Ocean in December 22 and its not fitted.
Not standard according to the configurator:

Available as an option, Lane Assist countersteers the vehicle if the driver unintentionally drifts from a lane. The system also emits audible and visual warnings via the multi-function display to alert the driver of danger.

Not standard according to the configurator:

Available as an option, Lane Assist countersteers the vehicle if the driver unintentionally drifts from a lane. The system also emits audible and visual warnings via the multi-function display to alert the driver of danger.
My Volkswagen lists it as fitted as part of the spec. The dealer agrees that it should be present.

Definitely get them to fix it. If it can be retrofitted, great. If not (which is what happened with my van that was missing adaptive cruise control which was supposed to be fitted as standard), they’ll have to order a new van and swap yours when the new van arrives.

There are a few other threads covering Lane Assist. Here’s one link to look through..

The term Lane Assist is not very precise, as the standard fit for this on an Ocean is the orange light on the wing mirrors which uses proximity sensors. A paid for option takes this to Active Lane Keeping, giving warnings and nudges if you stray over the white line, and this relies on a camera/ radar system. If it’s the latter you’re looking to retrofit, I’d say that it would be cost prohibitive if achievable at all.

question

Does the lane assist have sensor/indication in the door mirrors? I think that it does and would entail much more than just a software update.

Car retrofits are quoted at circa £900. Not found a Transporter quote.

A call to this supplier might be able to advise

Last edited:
The term Lane Assist is not very precise, as the standard fit for this on an Ocean is the orange light on the wing mirrors which uses proximity sensors. A paid for option takes this to Active Lane Keeping, giving warnings and nudges if you stray over the white line, and this relies on a camera/ radar system. If it’s the latter you’re looking to retrofit, I’d say that it would be cost prohibitive if achievable at all.
You are getting your systems mixed up.

The wording in the configurator for lane assist is as I quoted above:

"Available as an option, Lane Assist countersteers the vehicle if the driver unintentionally drifts from a lane. The system also emits audible and visual warnings via the multi-function display to alert the driver of danger."

The orange lights in the door mirrors are for Side assist a totally separate system, which warns of anything in close proximity on either side.

I had Lane Assist on a Skoda Superb and it frightened the life out of me first time I drove it. I went to overtake and when I crossed the white line the car was pulling me back in to my lane. It was a wrestling match between me and the car.
I read the manual and found out that using your indicator before overtaking cancels it.
It was fine for a while after that then I forgot to indicate and same thing again so I switched it off and never used it again after that.

You are getting your systems mixed up.

The wording in the configurator for lane assist is as I quoted above:

"Available as an option, Lane Assist countersteers the vehicle if the driver unintentionally drifts from a lane. The system also emits audible and visual warnings via the multi-function display to alert the driver of danger."

The orange lights in the door mirrors are for Side assist a totally separate system, which warns of anything in close proximity on either side.
Ah probably! All I know is folk are well confused about the options and what’s standard and what’s a paid extra. Orange lights = standard, nudging into lane = extra (but may have recently been dropped as an option? )

Back