Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Surf Model

Must be speeding up considerably as my sister is still awaiting hers ordered in Oct. I recall an earlier article saying the key to these was almost immediate delivery. In that case, at that price and that spec, I do personally struggle to see the appeal.
We were in Preston dealership today, they quoted July delivery.

You are correct, the silver awning is available but the black awning isn’t.

It’s been confirmed that fogs aren’t.

Easy retro fits.
I’m pondering a fairly basic spec Surf, just to keep the costs down vs 5 year old vans at £50k. That’s 5 year old California’s with no warranty and aging parts. Some of the 2nd hand vans are only £7-£8k cheaper than a brand new Surf…???

Dtd
Surf with privacy glass and 80l fuel tank £60k.
A loaded 204 Ocean is £72k

That's quite a saving. I wonder how much some of the options retro fitted would cost.
Awning
Fogs
Stereo upgrade

If like me, where you want to mod (wheels, suspension & front end spoiler) a van. The surf could be an interesting buy.

Dtd

That's quite a saving. I wonder how much some of the options retro fitted would cost.
Awning
Fogs
Stereo upgrade

If like me, where you want to mod (wheels, suspension & front end spoiler) a van. The surf could be an interesting buy.
Agree, but you have to have the 150. Have you had a rethink on the 204?

Dtd

Awning
Fogs
Stereo upgrade

But a Basic 204 Ocean is 66.6k
Once you consider adding an awning and fogs, it’s only another 5k.

The 204 & Ocean will always be worth a few quid more.

I appreciate that you don’t want the Digi Dash though.

I follow this -and the other post about the surf version- and was not going to respond because I don't see it for sale in our country anyway. But still ;) : It seems to be a special edition of a full outgoing model (the Transporter california as we know it today) and it has been done that way for a long time. This was also the case with the t4 california from westfalia and those special editions are the most sought after. Be glad you have it because we don't see it appearing with us. I would be rather positive about such a special edition.
But then you see the price setting and I don't get it very well anymore. The coast had its reason: cheaper as a basic californa ocean and with kitchen unit and cupboards (anyway, with us it was a real basic vehicle) and then upgraded à la carte with what you really wanted and not having to take a fully equipped ocean at a high price. And of course for all, including me, who do not want an electro-hydraulic roof. Everyone has their own idea about this of course; I don't want to start a discussion about the roof here, I really don't.
However: I guess the surf is more likely to be seen as a cheaper ocean (with its limitations of what cannot be ordered as an option) and won't be very appealing for those who want or like the ocean but for some, the lack of certain items can be attractive. That makes it more a niche model than a special edition and that is nice.
For me: the surf as it is now, isn't a coast because with it's standand equipement (+ electric-hydraulic roof), it is more an ocean. You could see it as a well-equipped coast but the coast was there for the manual roof in combination with furniture so for me it isn't.
Anyway: it's not me who has to puzzle my mind about the surf because it seems te be a UK only model (and I own a coast for one year now so no need for another, no money either:D). Those who are interested could make a move and order that special edition surf. Or: if you don't want it: buy a second-hand coast or ocean (or even wait for what is coming).
The prices, what does it have, what can be added or even not ordered: each can decide for itself whether you like it, but it remains an exceptional small campervan, worth having.

Last edited:
But a Basic 204 Ocean is 66.6k
Once you consider adding an awning and fogs, it’s only another 5k.

I appreciate that you don’t want the Digi Dash though.
Or ACC, or park assist, or side assist, and OEM sat-nav's are almost obsolete these days.
Im considering that this is an end of line Cali, if i hold onto this van longterm, having less electronics and in some regards pointless driver aids is in fact part of the appeal...

Or ACC, or park assist, or side assist, and OEM sat-nav's are almost obsolete these days.
Im considering that this is an end of line Cali, if i hold onto this van longterm, having less electronics and in some regards pointless driver aids is in fact part of the appeal...
The extra electronics and assist systems are of no interest to ne either. I’ve never liked the VW Sat Nav.

@Tomdbreeze

Just wondered if VW has released a amended Price List or Brochure with the Surf included yet?

No sign of it on the website.
Unfortunately not available yet, was supposed to be released for the 21st but been delayed.

The extra electronics and assist systems are of no interest to ne either. I’ve never liked the VW Sat Nav.
It’s a bigger screen for your own apps though, fills otherwise redundant space. I can understand not spec’ing it, but not the objection to it if it’s standard

It’s a bigger screen for your own apps though, fills otherwise redundant space. I can understand not spec’ing it, but not the objection to it if it’s standard
Exactly. One of the best things of the Surf is the larger screen but with no Sat Nav. Definitely something I would have added to my Beach if it was available

Exactly. One of the best things of the Surf is the larger screen but with no Sat Nav. Definitely something I would have added to my Beach if it was available
Its cheaper to add an aftermarket unit + VW interface lead.

Then you can just mirror Waze/Google Maps from your phone to the Headunit, and still retain use of steering wheel controls and show parking sensors, dash cam(if fitted) , reverse camera (if fitted) on the head unit.

Any software updates carried out DIY, so no need to visit a dealer if the latest Iphone update etc causes an issue with the Head unit.

Last edited:
Its cheaper to add an aftermarket unit + VW interface lead.

Then you can just mirror Waze/Google Maps from your phone to the Headunit, and steel retain use of steering wheel controls and show parking sensors, dash cam(if fitted) , reverse camera (if fitted) on the head unit.

Any software updates carried out DIY, so no need to visit a dealer if the latest Iphone update etc causes an issue with the Head unit.
Sorry, I’m not keen in any aftermarket ICE modifications. App Connect works fine for me, I just would of chosen the larger 8” screen if it was a reasonable cost without the Sat Nav.

This is the first time that I am aware of that it’s been offered in the T6.1.

Disagree with this as the 204 has more potential to go wrong, I've been advised by someone I trust to avoid the 204 and I've seen a few reports where this engine has had issues.

I've never heard of any T5.1 140bhp engine issues, or the T6 / 6.1 150bhp for that matter.

Disagree with this as the 204 has more potential to go wrong, I've been advised by someone I trust to avoid the 204 and I've seen a few reports where this engine has had issues.

I've never heard of any T5.1 140bhp engine issues, or the T6 / 6.1 150bhp for that matter.
So you don’t think a 204 Ocean will be worth more than a 150 Surf in years to come?

So you don’t think a 204 Ocean will be worth more than a 150 Surf in years to come?

I guess it just depends how reliable the 204 turns out to be.
VW have never been great with Bi-Turbo. I had a Golf GT 1.4 Bi Turbo and there were loads of premature engine failures.
Great when they work, expensive when they don’t…

Wish I could see into the future, however I wouldn't buy the 204 Ocean personally if I was keeping the Cali out of warranty.

That said I’ve been more than happy driving the ‘lower’ engine specs of the T5.1, T6 and T6.1

I would also be tempted by the 150 for a FWD Cali. With a fully speced 4Mo and DSG, 204ps is the better option IMO. The EA288 BiTDI engine in its current form, has been around long enough to know if its a ticking time bomb. If there was a groundswell of disgruntled owners we would know about it. I don't see this engine being any worse than other offerings from VAG.

Can we say the surf is a 2018 Ocean with silly wheels?

Back