Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

Called Comfort Insurance this morning to renew our Cali Ocean 150, reg 2019 and V5 as MPV ( with associated classification as Diesel Car ) and wanted clarification of our cover, given the somewhat mixed messages that I've been reading about them refusing cover.
They reassured me that they are fully aware of what our vehicle is, costs etc., and our Campervan was classified on their certificate as Motorhome and "No problems could occur if a claim was made" and "All factory fitted equipment was covered in event of an accident".
With this in mind we renewed our policy, just reducing the annual mileage slightly as its way too high for 'current times' !

I take some comfort that at after 5 years it will be £145, and given the residual values I would still loose more money on other options than the extra tax.
Philip - Please can I ask where you get that figure of £145 from ?

Philip - Please can I ask where you get that figure of £145 from ?
That rate has now increased to £150/pa after 5 yrs. During the 5 yrs an increased VED is paid as the vehicle costs over £40,000. All changed in March 2020. Now flat rate of £270/pa.

That rate has now increased to £150/pa after 5 yrs. During the 5 yrs an increased VED is paid as the vehicle costs over £40,000. All changed in March 2020. Now flat rate of £270/pa.
Mine is currently £160 as 3.880kg

Speed restrictions not being one.
True, a single A road and duel carriageway however most of the sites in Cornwall Devon Wales and Scotland are down little lanes and couldn’t or wouldn’t get to the speed limit. It’s not a daily drive so has little impact.

Only real impact on speed would be dual carriageway if a long one. Other than that getting caught driving in convoy following the flow past a fixed camera or a mobile one.

Only real impact on speed would be dual carriageway if a long one. Other than that getting caught driving in convoy following the flow past a fixed camera or a mobile one.
Have you tried the A9, :)

Have you tried the A9, :)
No. Go up East Coast A90 via either M74 or A68.
Counted 51 Static Speed Cameras on the route from Stamford Lincs to Aberdeen a few years back.

Have 2019 Californias been singled out for the extended London ULEZ?
The TfL Check your vehicle site says my Jul’19 Ocean is not exampt, however the ULEZ site says diesel vehicles produced after 2015 should be exempt of the charge.

As my Cali has a private plate maybe the ULEZ site maybe making a mistake.

Seems the benefit for the zone is financially helpful for the mayors funds. Just wish they really cared about the environment.

Caura, the free vehicle management app, predicts that Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) expansion fines could top £864 million in first six months of operation
Impacting one in 4.6 London cars, research shows 565,000 cars on London roads aren’t compliant with emissions standards needed to enter new ULEZ area for free

Have 2019 Californias been singled out for the extended London ULEZ?
The TfL Check your vehicle site says my Jul’19 Ocean is not exampt, however the ULEZ site says diesel vehicles produced after 2015 should be exempt of the charge.

As my Cali has a private plate maybe the ULEZ site maybe making a mistake.
I tried it with various vehicles and a bit confusing but if a Green tick is shown then not liable to pay.
I put a previously owned 2010 reg in and it came up with the charge info where the Green tick was, it having moved down, if you follow.
2017 Cali OK.

This bit inserted to show chargeable Not there for our 2 2017 vehicles, petrol & diesel

Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)​

£12.50 a day​

Where it operates:​

Covers the area up to, but not including, the North Circular Road (A406) and South Circular Road (A205) - check a postcode or location

Charging times:​

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year (except Christmas Day on 25 December).
A charging day runs from midnight to midnight. You can pay by midnight on the third charging day after you travel or up to 90 days in advance.
Tool-Tip-Icon.485d0b19.svg

The ULEZ has expanded​

The ULEZ has expanded up to, but does not include, the North Circular Road (A406) and South Circular Road (A205).

I tried it with various vehicles and a bit confusing but if a Green tick is shown then not liable to pay.

For me site says at the top:

Two charges apply to this vehicle​

and then list Congestion & ULEZ

I put a previously owned 2010 reg in and it came up with the charge info where the Green tick was, it having moved down, if you follow.
2017 Cali OK.

hence I am wondering if there is an anomaly for the 2019 Calis recorded as MPVs with DVLA.

hence I am wondering if there is an anomaly for the 2019 Calis recorded as MPVs with DVLA.

If I put in my (recently sold) 2019 Cali Ocean reg number in it states that "one charge applies to this vehicle" which is the congestion charge, not the ULEZ. Mine was also registered as an MPV.

My Ocean registered in 2019 as an MPV only flags up the congestion charge on the TFL site.

V5 says ‘M1’
also says:
euro status: EURO 6 DG
body type: MPV
Private plate?
I’ve had the same plate on two petrol cars and a diesel van, their system can’t cope with it.

Yes it has a private plate, that must be the reason.
I can’t remember to be exact but seem to remember having to scan a copy of the V5 and emailing it to them via their help desk to get it sorted.

Back