Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Vehicle Classification & VW UK

I am hoping to have mine confirmed this week by DVLA. My Cali was wrongly classified in March as 'diesel car' rather than PLG. I understand that sub three also has received his changed V5 and refund. I sent my paperwork to DVLA July 1st, and my claim has been subject to anticipated delays. DVLA wanted a letter from me, my V5, a letter from dealer confirming vehicle registered wrongly, then latest requirement was a letter of conformity which went off to them a couple weeks ago. If yours is a 69 plate, not sure it will meet the criteria, i.e. needs to be registered on or after 12th March this year, which is when the legislation was issued.
Sorry to hear your saga is still going on. I have indeed now received the corrected V5C. Also a lovely cheque, just before Christmas! Fingers crossed yours get resolved soon. :thumb

They will not change the Tax. That is not based on the Body Type, MPV or Motorhome.

rates-for-motorhomes

View attachment 70290

isn't that the point though? All the Ocean's registered in 2019 as MPVs are in the car category of £475 a year tax. So to it have it reclassed as TC11 would drop it to 270. Obviously at 5 years old the MPV vehicle become cheaper than the TC11s as it drops to 140

Hj8acAK.png

As far as I can track the saga it began with the Police complaining about not being able to differentiate between a commercial van and a campervan visually and what speed limits to apply. DVLA changed the rules on changing vans to campervans in that no longer possible, Cali's deemed no longer Motor Caravans but MPV's.

Then came the reclassification of Motorhomes making them pay the high value (over £40K) tax. Motorhome Manufacturers lobbied MP's about job losses etc and got it changed which again had a spin off to Cali's.

Basically Cali's are in a Political football park where they get kicked from one category into another with no consistent rules or logic.
Yes, and what I can't figure out is if anyone has ever been successful in reclassifying an MPV California to a Motor Carava?

Yes, and what I can't figure out is if anyone has ever been successful in reclassifying an MPV California to a Motor Carava?
I don't think anyone has as it was the correct classification at the time. Only those incorrectly registered after the 12th March 2020 have been successful.

it doesn't really bother me, so i'm not sure i could be bothered to go through the process anyway. :D

I don't think anyone has as it was the correct classification at the time. Only those incorrectly registered after the 12th March 2020 have been successful.
Having read through the various info on the MPV/PLG saga, I think you are correct.
Those Californias that were registered between September 2019, up to 11th of March 2020,
were correctly registered as per the legislation in force at that time. Those Californias registered incorrectly as MPVs after the 11th of March, can apply to have their vehicles reclassified as Motorhome/PLG , and received a refund of excess tax paid.

The legislation that brought about this reclassification was "Vehicle Excise Duty Rates for Motorhomes" published 11th of March 2020. It possibly has a sting in its tail. At the end it states:-
"Furthermore, from April 2021, motorhomes VED liabilities will be based on their co2 emissions figure"
(Emissions are not taken into account under the current classification as a motorhome)

Time will tell tell what effect that will have have on California owners.

As someone who purchased my new Cali last December with MPV classification, I am now encountering the same problems with insurance highlighted by other contributors. However I am also confused as to why the latest 6.1 and pre 2019 models appear to be classed as a "motor caravan" So what has changed ? Looking on DVLA website for what is a motor caravan all Cali's qualify on all aspects apart from the last criteria which is "A high top roof ( this does not include a pop top elevating roof) " So a 2019 Cali is an MPV because it doesn't have a high top roof, whereas a 6.1or pre 2019 model still without a high top roof is a motor caravan. Am I missing something or how can what is essentially the same vehicle, be classified as two entirely different vehicles ? ?

As someone who purchased my new Cali last December with MPV classification, I am now encountering the same problems with insurance highlighted by other contributors. However I am also confused as to why the latest 6.1 and pre 2019 models appear to be classed as a "motor caravan" So what has changed ? Looking on DVLA website for what is a motor caravan all Cali's qualify on all aspects apart from the last criteria which is "A high top roof ( this does not include a pop top elevating roof) " So a 2019 Cali is an MPV because it doesn't have a high top roof, whereas a 6.1or pre 2019 model still without a high top roof is a motor caravan. Am I missing something or how can what is essentially the same vehicle, be classified as two entirely different vehicles ? ?
The details on the DVLA website relate to 2 part builds, in particular self conversions .
Brand new, 1st registered Motor Caravans are classed as Special Build vehicles and built from the ground up as a Motor Caravan, unlike conversions which start as one vehicle type that is converted to a Motor Caravan, but only if it fulfills the DVLA guidelines will the V5c be changed.

You're right and wrong. Can a California be correctly be classified as a motorhome?

I understand that the reclassification in September 2019 came about as a result of a request from the police because they were unable to identify Californias as campervans/motorhomes, presumably when they're looking on the multitude of surveillance cameras that now watch us. The criteria was that a Motorhome should have these permanent features:-
Externally,
1/ 2 or more windows, yes.
2/ A separate door, yes.
3/ Motorcaravan (motorhome) graphics on both sides of the vehicle. NO.
4/ An awning bar, yes.
5/ A high top roof (this does not include a pop top elevating roof) NO.

This resulted in a California being classified as an MPV, as and from September 2019, hence attracting much higher VED - the luxury car tax for vehicles costing over £40,000.
Following a successful campaign by the National Caravan Council (NCC), this was overturned. Motorhomes based on a commercial vehicle chassis could be be classified as PLG, or HGV, depending on their weight, so having to pay VED at commercial vehicle rates as from April 1st 2020, not attracting the luxury CAR TAX for vehicles costing over £40,000.

RESULT, but not for those vehicles registered between September 2019 and the 11th of March 2020, who will have to continue for the next few years to pay the higher rate car tax.

You're right and wrong. Can a California be correctly be classified as a motorhome?

I understand that the reclassification in September 2019 came about as a result of a request from the police because they were unable to identify Californias as campervans/motorhomes, presumably when they're looking on the multitude of surveillance cameras that now watch us. The criteria was that a Motorhome should have these permanent features:-
Externally,
1/ 2 or more windows, yes.
2/ A separate door, yes.
3/ Motorcaravan (motorhome) graphics on both sides of the vehicle. NO.
4/ An awning bar, yes.
5/ A high top roof (this does not include a pop top elevating roof) NO.

This resulted in a California being classified as an MPV, as and from September 2019, hence attracting much higher VED - the luxury car tax for vehicles costing over £40,000.
Following a successful campaign by the National Caravan Council (NCC), this was overturned. Motorhomes based on a commercial vehicle chassis could be be classified as PLG, or HGV, depending on their weight, so having to pay VED at commercial vehicle rates as from April 1st 2020, not attracting the luxury CAR TAX for vehicles costing over £40,000.

RESULT, but not for those vehicles registered between September 2019 and the 11th of March 2020, who will have to continue for the next few years to pay the higher rate car tax.

That's a very clear summary, thank you.

For me the issue isn't so much the tax, but I have to admit it it is rather irksome, but the limitation of options for insurance and the fact we can't prove we are a campervan if needed, because the paperwork says we aren't. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds 'the computer says no' mentality makes their blood boil!

Why on earth the police needed these changes in the first place is beyond me. Even if they aren't sure if a Cali is a camper or a van, running the plate will tell them in moments. Someone checking surveillance who can't see the difference in the pop top roof and a standard one, probably isn't in the right area of work. It never really made sense, and especially seeing as the change has been quickly reversed, showed it was always flawed. The least they should do is offer to change the classification for those who were caught up in the failed policy.

That's a very clear summary, thank you.

For me the issue isn't so much the tax, but I have to admit it it is rather irksome, but the limitation of options for insurance and the fact we can't prove we are a campervan if needed, because the paperwork says we aren't. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds 'the computer says no' mentality makes their blood boil!

Why on earth the police needed these changes in the first place is beyond me. Even if they aren't sure if a Cali is a camper or a van, running the plate will tell them in moments. Someone checking surveillance who can't see the difference in the pop top roof and a standard one, probably isn't in the right area of work. It never really made sense, and especially seeing as the change has been quickly reversed, showed it was always flawed. The least they should do is offer to change the classification for those who were caught up in the failed policy.
The police could not give a flip, as ever the tax man wanted more money, 20% VAT was just not enough, some on here thought as we were obviously rich it was only fair that we paid extra. There is no chance of getting a reclassification, the original buyer was evidentially content to pay the premium tax so it has been set in stone. Of course when the green new deal kicks in those foul burners of hydrocarbons will be taxed until the pips squeak

The police could not give a flip, as ever the tax man wanted more money, 20% VAT was just not enough, some on here thought as we were obviously rich it was only fair that we paid extra. There is no chance of getting a reclassification, the original buyer was evidentially content to pay the premium tax so it has been set in stone. Of course when the green new deal kicks in those foul burners of hydrocarbons will be taxed until the pips squeak
I agree that tax revenue is far more likely to be the culprit here. Money nearly always is, somewhere in the chain.

I would say though, I don’t think anyone is ‘content’ to pay the tax, but if you want your Cali, it is literally the price you have to pay.

It’s a bit like the classification; you don’t get a choice, you have to take what the computer gives you.

When calis went to being registered as MPV it didn’t make any difference at all to the tax costs. Changing it back now due to the waiver on the over £40k extra tax means the govmnt loose out - the only people that saved was VW as they didn’t pass the tax saving on to the customer, in fact they used it to hide a price hike.

Last edited:
I am becoming more and more confused. We have a VW Cali Ocean 150 DSG.( reg April 2019) The V5 states MPV but also on line underneath states diesel car !
We are insured with Comfort and they advised and stated on our policy Motorhome .
Our insurance is due for renewal in Feb 21 now am totally perplexed as to what to do !
Advise welcome.

I agree that tax revenue is far more likely to be the culprit here. Money nearly always is, somewhere in the chain.

I would say though, I don’t think anyone is ‘content’ to pay the tax, but if you want your Cali, it is literally the price you have to pay.

It’s a bit like the classification; you don’t get a choice, you have to take what the computer gives you'll be OK. Just give them a call.
k
I am becoming more and more confused. We have a VW Cali Ocean 150 DSG.( reg April 2019) The V5 states MPV but also on line underneath states diesel car !
We are insured with Comfort and they advised and stated on our policy Motorhome .
Our insurance is due for renewal in Feb 21 now am totally perplexed as to what to do !
Advise welcome.
The correct registration should have been :-
Body type MOTOR CARAVAN
Taxation class PRIVATE/LIGHT GOODS(PLG)
This affects your VED classification.
For insurance you'll be OK, just give them a call.

Advise welcome.
If you get the classification changed you may be inline for a refund of the difference in 1st years VED

Advise welcome.
We have a VW Cali Ocean 150 DSG.( reg March 2019) The V5 states MPV but also on line underneath states diesel car so not even in 2019 tax year.
`when did the MPV classification start and end ?

Advise welcome.
Believe all registered around that time, mine included T6 were registered as yours was then changed thereafter in the budget 12 March 2020 I think.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware the DVLA will not re-classify those affected that's what I understand anyway.
Correct, well I tried for some time and they were not having it.

Believe all registered around that time, mine included T6 were registered as yours was then changed thereafter in the budget 12 March 2020 I think.
Did you get a changed V5 ?

I'm glad I am not the only one confused here.
So, I have an Ocean registered in July 2019 as an MPV. (I pay the 40k supplement)
Can I get this MPV classification changed to Campervan/Motorhome and avoid the 40k supplement? And if so how do I go about doing this?
Thanks for help.

I'm glad I am not the only one confused here.
So, I have an Ocean registered in July 2019 as an MPV. (I pay the 40k supplement)
Can I get this MPV classification changed to Campervan/Motorhome and avoid the 40k supplement? And if so how do I go about doing this?
Thanks for help.
No

Back