Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calling all new T6s - is your steering wheel straight?!

itguy

itguy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi Everyone

I have been pondering if I should ask about this or not but I thought what the hell...

Our new Ocean has come with the steering wheel not being straight compared to when the vehicle is travelling in a straight line. It's more like 2 or 3 minutes past (so slightly to the right).

Usually I'd have just put this down to either camber on the road or a minor factory thing and just got it tracked from a local alignment place. HOWEVER, the loan T6 TSI (was brand new when we got it) also had exactly the same steering wheel alignment issue.

So now I'm wondering if there is an issue at the factory with their alignment jig?

Anyone else had a new T6 in the recent crop had a steering whee alignment issue?

Thanks

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a T5 and following a steering rack replacement (a warranty job due to steering knock) my steering wheel was out of alignment, by a similar amount.
I took it back but was told that it was within VW's acceptable parameters.
At first it was annoying but now I don't notice it.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Everyone

I have been pondering if I should ask about this or not but I thought what the hell...

Our new Ocean has come with the steering wheel not being straight compared to when the vehicle is travelling in a straight line. It's more like 2 or 3 minutes past (so slightly to the right).

Usually I'd have just put this down to either camber on the road or a minor factory thing and just got it tracked from a local alignment place. HOWEVER, the loan T6 TSI (was brand new when we got it) also had exactly the same steering wheel alignment issue.

So now I'm wondering if there is an issue at the factory with their alignment jig?

Anyone else had a new T6 in the recent crop had a steering whee alignment issue?

Thanks
What happens if you drive on the other side of the road, a heavily cambered road - safely.:thumb

itguy

itguy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Not tried that yet but good point. It does seem weird that we don't notice it in any of our other cars, but they do tend to have shorter steering racks than the T6, so it might be that it is just exaggerating it more so we notice it?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Not tried that yet but good point. It does seem weird that we don't notice it in any of our other cars, but they do tend to have shorter steering racks than the T6, so it might be that it is just exaggerating it more so we notice it?
It is not something mentioned on the T6 Forum and the vehicles are all made on the same production line.

iDandelions

iDandelions

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I did some testing and found It changes with the camber of the road. I had my tracking set with the steering wheel perfectly centred (I sat in the van at the garage and set it myself), but on the road it was always turned slightly to the right. In the end I set my steering wheel slightly to the left to make it straight when driving :thumb

iDandelions

iDandelions

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Wow! Where/which organisation let you do that? Most interested.
Just a local tyre and tracking garage. I was chatting to the guy doing the tracking, when he put the clamp on the steering wheel I asked if I could just check it was centred.

B J G

B J G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Should be straight.
Might have been kerb bumped on delivery knocking alignment out.
Could even be rear tracking causing 'crabbing'.
Either get a full tracking check or keep a close check on tyre wear/feathering.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I did some testing and found It changes with the camber of the road. I had my tracking set with the steering wheel perfectly centred (I sat in the van at the garage and set it myself), but on the road it was always turned slightly to the right. In the end I set my steering wheel slightly to the left to make it straight when driving :thumb
Obviously you don't do much driving on the Continent.;)

California7

California7

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi Everyone

Thanks
My OCD would mean that I’m sure I would have noticed if the wheel wasn’t dead centre, I’ve been away all week with work (not in the funky bus) so cannot say for sure, will check when I drive it next at the weekend.

I have noticed a kind of chirping noise in mine though, maybe from the gas bottle rubbing/moving about a bit...

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
mine is only not straignt when going around a corner.

Eber123

Eber123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I haven't thought about that. I believe it is straight. I will pay more attention tomorrow on the way to work.

I hope it is straight, now that I am aware of potential problems I might pick up something...

MattBell

MattBell

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Mine is slightly out - I'm going to ask VW to have a look. It's just under 6 months old so I'm hoping it will be covered by the warranty.

briwy

briwy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Our T5 is slightly out. Doesn't make any difference whicj side of the road it's on. Had it back for tracking three or four times without any improvement. Stopped worrying and don't really notice it any more and the tyre wear is OK. I have a hunch that they should perhaps be tracked with the power steering on?

HTML