Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calling all new T6s - is your steering wheel straight?!

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

I have been pondering if I should ask about this or not but I thought what the hell...

Our new Ocean has come with the steering wheel not being straight compared to when the vehicle is travelling in a straight line. It's more like 2 or 3 minutes past (so slightly to the right).

Usually I'd have just put this down to either camber on the road or a minor factory thing and just got it tracked from a local alignment place. HOWEVER, the loan T6 TSI (was brand new when we got it) also had exactly the same steering wheel alignment issue.

So now I'm wondering if there is an issue at the factory with their alignment jig?

Anyone else had a new T6 in the recent crop had a steering whee alignment issue?

Thanks

I have a T5 and following a steering rack replacement (a warranty job due to steering knock) my steering wheel was out of alignment, by a similar amount.
I took it back but was told that it was within VW's acceptable parameters.
At first it was annoying but now I don't notice it.

Hi Everyone

I have been pondering if I should ask about this or not but I thought what the hell...

Our new Ocean has come with the steering wheel not being straight compared to when the vehicle is travelling in a straight line. It's more like 2 or 3 minutes past (so slightly to the right).

Usually I'd have just put this down to either camber on the road or a minor factory thing and just got it tracked from a local alignment place. HOWEVER, the loan T6 TSI (was brand new when we got it) also had exactly the same steering wheel alignment issue.

So now I'm wondering if there is an issue at the factory with their alignment jig?

Anyone else had a new T6 in the recent crop had a steering whee alignment issue?

Thanks
What happens if you drive on the other side of the road, a heavily cambered road - safely.:thumb

Not tried that yet but good point. It does seem weird that we don't notice it in any of our other cars, but they do tend to have shorter steering racks than the T6, so it might be that it is just exaggerating it more so we notice it?

Not tried that yet but good point. It does seem weird that we don't notice it in any of our other cars, but they do tend to have shorter steering racks than the T6, so it might be that it is just exaggerating it more so we notice it?
It is not something mentioned on the T6 Forum and the vehicles are all made on the same production line.

I did some testing and found It changes with the camber of the road. I had my tracking set with the steering wheel perfectly centred (I sat in the van at the garage and set it myself), but on the road it was always turned slightly to the right. In the end I set my steering wheel slightly to the left to make it straight when driving :thumb

Wow! Where/which organisation let you do that? Most interested.

Just a local tyre and tracking garage. I was chatting to the guy doing the tracking, when he put the clamp on the steering wheel I asked if I could just check it was centred.

Should be straight.
Might have been kerb bumped on delivery knocking alignment out.
Could even be rear tracking causing 'crabbing'.
Either get a full tracking check or keep a close check on tyre wear/feathering.

I did some testing and found It changes with the camber of the road. I had my tracking set with the steering wheel perfectly centred (I sat in the van at the garage and set it myself), but on the road it was always turned slightly to the right. In the end I set my steering wheel slightly to the left to make it straight when driving :thumb
Obviously you don't do much driving on the Continent.;)

Hi Everyone

Thanks
My OCD would mean that I’m sure I would have noticed if the wheel wasn’t dead centre, I’ve been away all week with work (not in the funky bus) so cannot say for sure, will check when I drive it next at the weekend.

I have noticed a kind of chirping noise in mine though, maybe from the gas bottle rubbing/moving about a bit...

A straight steering wheel !!:shocked

I have a round one, should I take it back?:sad

mine is only not straignt when going around a corner.

I haven't thought about that. I believe it is straight. I will pay more attention tomorrow on the way to work.

I hope it is straight, now that I am aware of potential problems I might pick up something...

Mine is slightly out - I'm going to ask VW to have a look. It's just under 6 months old so I'm hoping it will be covered by the warranty.

Our T5 is slightly out. Doesn't make any difference whicj side of the road it's on. Had it back for tracking three or four times without any improvement. Stopped worrying and don't really notice it any more and the tyre wear is OK. I have a hunch that they should perhaps be tracked with the power steering on?

They are susceptible to road camber

yes mine is the same. It irritates me.

I plan to get a full 4 wheel alignment sometime.

Like others have said, I assumed that the wheels had been jolted sometime.

Our T5 is slightly out. Doesn't make any difference whicj side of the road it's on. Had it back for tracking three or four times without any improvement. Stopped worrying and don't really notice it any more and the tyre wear is OK. I have a hunch that they should perhaps be tracked with the power steering on?
Best to do tracking with engine running and steering wheel clamped straight ahead. Something to do with the steering angle sensor.

After being told by my local dealer/supplier that " the rear axle isn't adjustable" I went elsewhere.
It took a few different (more expense) sources to get it just right. I found that the alignment data used by the Independent garages differed to the VW data sheet settings. VW had less toe in front and rear. A return visit visit to a local garage (very helpful) with the VW figures and an accurate setup has resulted in much lighter steering, more foot off the accelerator and needing to brake on downhill sections where none was necessary previously. Camber effect is there but only as would be expected.

I did find that some only adjust to within the tolerances which isn't what is being paid for. Old adage about the equipment only being as good as the operator applies.

The rear is just as important as the front in relation to settings.

Back